Oscar's No Build Thread

wjtstudios

Hooked
Damn you guys are getting pounded. My sister and brother-in-law just moved over to Mequon. It’s crazy how much more winter you guys get on the other side of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Damn you guys are getting pounded. My sister and brother-in-law just moved over to Mequon. It’s crazy how much more winter you guys get on the other side of the lake.

Sleeting as we speak. We had lunch and did our grocery shopping in Mequon. Small world!

Snow after February = :icon_crazy:

We will still get snow in April. Some of the piles will be around until late May. 12 more years until retirement, then let the snow-birding begin! [emoji41]

I’m looking forward to topless weather!

Me too! I bought a new bottle of 303 detailing spray the other day with the hopes of using it soon. Might’ve been wishful thinking.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Probably not until the end of April.

I suppose you’re trying to figure out when you can put yours back on with your new surroundings and all?

I’ll definitely be putting on as soon as possible! I didn’t get a new yet or anything but I do want a bikini top.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Installed the backup camera. It was pretty straight forward with the hardest part being routing the camera wires with RCA plugs through the small holes drilled through the bumper.

Here’s the camera and harness:

IMG_8453.jpg

I wasn’t sure if I needed this coupler, but of course I did. Picked up a pair at Walmart:

IMG_8459.jpg

I started with plugging the harness into the back of the radio.

I followed the instructions in this link to take part of the dash apart and get access to the back of the radio:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=678054

I also got some good info from this link for doing the wiring and mounting the camera:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=453431

Next I wired in the power connector to the passenger side reverse light. A white wire with gray stripe is the power. Use a 12volt test light to confirm and don’t forget to have the key in the run position, trans in reverse with parking brake set. Test again with the trans in park and you shouldn’t have any power. I snipped, stripped and spliced in the camera power wire:

IMG_8470.jpg

Attach the ground to the tailgate hinge bracket, connect the video cable and make sure everything works.

Drill the camera mounting hole through the plastic bumper cover using the hole saw supplied with the camera. The plastic cover is hollow in the middle so I used a 1/2” drill to make a hole through the second part and wallowed out the hole to make a slot. It was difficult to get the camera wires with RCA plugs through the bumper holes and a pry-bar was needed to get the wires over the metal part of the bumper.

After that struggle, I cut a small slit into the rubber drain plug and routed the power plug to the camera plug, connected and wrapped with electrical tape:

IMG_8467.JPG

IMG_8469.jpg

The video cable took the same route and continued up the passenger side floor, into the dash, up over the glove box an coupled to the radio harness. Add some electrical tape to secure the connections, tuck the remaining wire and your good to go.

Daytime:

IMG_8465.jpg

IMG_8464.jpg

IMG_8460.jpg

IMG_8463.jpg

Nighttime:

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8471.jpg

The LED lights really do a nice job brightening the area.

Total cost for this project was $42 and took about 4hrs to complete. The wife’s KK is next.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Installed the backup camera. It was pretty straight forward with the hardest part being routing the camera wires with RCA plugs through the small holes drilled through the bumper.

That came out great. Nice work.

Stewnate

Here’s the camera and harness:

View attachment 322835

I wasn’t sure if I needed this coupler, but of course I did. Picked up a pair at Walmart:

View attachment 322836

I started with plugging the harness into the back of the radio.

I followed the instructions in this link to take part of the dash apart and get access to the back of the radio:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=678054

I also got some good info from this link for doing the wiring and mounting the camera:

https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=453431

Next I wired in the power connector to the passenger side reverse light. A white wire with gray stripe is the power. Use a 12volt test light to confirm and don’t forget to have the key in the run position, trans in reverse with parking brake set. Test again with the trans in park and you shouldn’t have any power. I snipped, stripped and spliced in the camera power wire:

View attachment 322837

Attach the ground to the tailgate hinge bracket, connect the video cable and make sure everything works.

Drill the camera mounting hole through the plastic bumper cover using the hole saw supplied with the camera. The plastic cover is hollow in the middle so I used a 1/2” drill to make a hole through the second part and wallowed out the hole to make a slot. It was difficult to get the camera wires with RCA plugs through the bumper holes and a pry-bar was needed to get the wires over the metal part of the bumper.

After that struggle, I cut a small slit into the rubber drain plug and routed the power plug to the camera plug, connected and wrapped with electrical tape:

View attachment 322838

View attachment 322839

The video cable took the same route and continued up the passenger side floor, into the dash, up over the glove box an coupled to the radio harness. Add some electrical tape to secure the connections, tuck the remaining wire and your good to go.

Daytime:

View attachment 322840

View attachment 322841

View attachment 322842

View attachment 322843

Nighttime:

View attachment 322844

View attachment 322845

The LED lights really do a nice job brightening the area.

Total cost for this project was $42 and took about 4hrs to complete. The wife’s KK is next.

Do you have a parts list or link to the harness you used?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
First day of 60 degree weather so I decided to play hooky and left work after a half day. Oscar got a good cleaning and shed the winter gear for the afternoon:

IMG_8549.jpg

My lift sure makes it easy to ditch the top for a few hours:

IMG_8546.jpg

IMG_8548.jpg

Unfortunately the chance or snow returns on Wednesday, 90% chance of 1” to 3” with a high of 37 degrees.

Jsouder53

Hooked
First day of 60 degree weather so I decided to play hooky and left work after a half day. Oscar got a good cleaning and shed the winter gear for the afternoon:

Unfortunately the chance or snow returns on Wednesday, 90% chance of 1” to 3” with a high of 37 degrees.

Congrats on getting the hard top off! It’s a great feeling [emoji106] we have that same forecast. Image1554769058.306170.jpg it was nice for a few days after putting the soft top on, then got rainy lol

Top Bottom