Off road lights in California

Ddays

Hooked
Hi. I just retired. 40+ years as a LEO. On your lights, if you get a ticket it will be big and it is not a fix it ticket. They don't count a light bar as one light. They count the led, s. So if your light bar has 50 led, s, well you get my point. Patrol does not normally stop jeepers but CHP or traffic units will stop you and you will get a ticket. So do you feel lucky??

Cop pointing to each individual led with his pen and counting, "12, 13, 14, 15"
Me in the background, "1, 7, 23, 32, 8, 59, 107, 3"

WJCO

Meme King
Hi. I just retired. 40+ years as a LEO. On your lights, if you get a ticket it will be big and it is not a fix it ticket. They don't count a light bar as one light. They count the led, s. So if your light bar has 50 led, s, well you get my point. Patrol does not normally stop jeepers but CHP or traffic units will stop you and you will get a ticket. So do you feel lucky??

Cop pointing to each individual led with his pen and counting, "12, 13, 14, 15"
Me in the background, "1, 7, 23, 32, 8, 59, 107, 3"

Meanwhile, just down the street, some chick is getting raped at gunpoint while her husband it tied up. But hey, as long as we get those LEDs off the street.....

Exodus 4x4

Meanwhile, just down the street, some chick is getting raped at gunpoint while her husband it tied up. But hey, as long as we get those LEDs off the street.....

I said something along those lines to a prick cop that pulled me over not long ago. He wasn’t amused. Nothing pisses me off more than coming around a turn and seeing them sitting there with a radar gun pointed out the window. Fuckers could be guarding a school somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

I said something along those lines to a prick cop that pulled me over not long ago. He wasn’t amused. Nothing pisses me off more than coming around a turn and seeing them sitting there with a radar gun pointed out the window. Fuckers could be guarding a school somewhere.

But OH MY GOD! just think how many people will be killed by those breaking the speed limit by a few miles per hour.

No, it's about power, control, and money. Well, money first, as some feel that they have to rape the rest of us to justify and pay for them to "protect" us.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for those doing the job, but not so much for the ones just trying to find ways to screw with people who are not hurting anyone.

But OH MY GOD! just think how many people will be killed by those breaking the speed limit by a few miles per hour.

No, it's about power, control, and money. ..............lot of respect for those doing the job, but not so much for the ones just trying to find ways to screw with people who are not hurting anyone.

The last time I looked the police officers don't make the laws that "screw with people" Your wonderful state representatives do that. The men and women in blue have a tough enough job with our support. Without it they don't stand a chance. The lack of respect for the men and women standing between us and mayhem is hard for me to understand. Maybe you guys were just having a bad day.

Here in Tucson the Off Road community comes out in force every year for the "Black the Blue" event. Last year over 4000 Jeeps showed up, coming from as far away as Yuma and Phoenix to show their support. Its a blast with a police led caravan across town to a local race track for a raffle and lots of fun. It's put on by the Davis Monthan Military Jeepers & Tucson Jeeps. Last year they raised over $10,000 for the Tucson Police Foundation and made a huge donation of water bottles to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern Arizona. It's a small way to give back and I'd offer the Wayalife community should support it.

Now if you want to talk about the way California laws get written so that we end up with a vehicle code that doesn't understand the technology of a switch, like the one that started this thread I'm happy to listen and learn, but its probably another post.

Cheers

FB-1705.jpg

Exodus 4x4

The lack of respect for the men and women standing between us and mayhem is hard for me to understand. Maybe you guys were just having a bad day.

View attachment 305499

I grew up with my dad being a deputy sheriff and saw first hand the different types of LEO’s. They’re aren’t all good guys. That doesn’t mean I don’t support them but I don’t blindly support them either. A cop habitually sitting at the same speed trap writing tickets and being a dick about about it, is an asshole, and I’ll let him know.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Honestly, I would think you should be fine with AZ plates as you are just passing through, just drive normal and obey speed limits. A lot of cops seem to let you off if you play stupid and say “I’m from AZ, I didn’t know and everything I have is legal at home where the Jeep is registered.”

I grew up with my dad being a deputy sheriff and saw first hand the different types of LEO’s. They’re aren’t all good guys. That doesn’t mean I don’t support them but I don’t blindly support them either. A cop habitually sitting at the same speed trap writing tickets and being a dick about about it, is an asshole, and I’ll let him know.

I deleted my last comment because I didn’t want to start a big argument about this, but I just want to bring up one point. There might be a reason why that cop sits in that same spot every day... maybe that one spot is a huge problem with speeders. There is a lot that happens when you’re asleep at night. Maybe that cop responded to the worst traffic accident that he’d ever seen at that spot that you always see him in. The officers and deputies that give you tickets get ZERO financial incentive by giving you that ticket. If you weren’t worried about getting a ticket, do you honestly think you would ever think twice about driving way too fast? Your comment about protecting schools is just crazy. MOST cops would run into a school without thinking twice about the danger. Even that cop that you spoke of. Just food for thought.

. A lot of cops seem to let you off if you play stupid and say “I’m from AZ, I didn’t know and everything I have is legal at home where the Jeep is registered.”

[emoji41][emoji6] That’s worked for me in any number of places. Especially useful in Utah. It usually comes out more like “I’m from Arizona, I don’t know anything”. For some reason no one ever argues.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I’m skeptical that California is the only state requiring auxiliary lights to be covered when on road. Maybe it is, but I’ve seen no evidence to accept that assertion blindly.

Anyway, it seems to be an infraction that can be enforced at the discretion of individual LEOs. Like not having a front license plate (also an infraction in California). Some LEOs can’t be bothered with such things and won’t pull you over for it, but may “notice” it when they legitimately pull you over for speeding or running a red light.

To the OP, I think the risk of getting busted for uncovered lights is low but not zero. If you get stopped, be polite and play the innocent out-of-stater card. More than likely, you’ll get a warning and a “have a nice day.”

Exodus 4x4

I deleted my last comment because I didn’t want to start a big argument about this, but I just want to bring up one point. There might be a reason why that cop sits in that same spot every day... maybe that one spot is a huge problem with speeders. There is a lot that happens when you’re asleep at night. Maybe that cop responded to the worst traffic accident that he’d ever seen at that spot that you always see him in. The officers and deputies that give you tickets get ZERO financial incentive by giving you that ticket. If you weren’t worried about getting a ticket, do you honestly think you would ever think twice about driving way too fast? Your comment about protecting schools is just crazy. MOST cops would run into a school without thinking twice about the danger. Even that cop that you spoke of. Just food for thought.

Calm down. I don’t drive around blaring NWA and telling cops to go fuck themselves. You might be right, but then again I might be right. Either way if I think a cops an asshole it’s my right to call him that.

Calm down. I don’t drive around blaring NWA and telling cops to go fuck themselves. You might be right, but then again I might be right. Either way if I think a cops an asshole it’s my right to call him that.

[emoji106] no argument there. I’m not all worked up or anything, promise. Just wanted to say my piece, and you said yours. We both like Jeeps, so we cool [emoji16]

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
[emoji41][emoji6] That’s worked for me in any number of places. Especially useful in Utah. It usually comes out more like “I’m from Arizona, I don’t know anything”. For some reason no one ever argues.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I find more times than not when a cop pulls an out of state jeep over in Utah it’s either cause they like the rig lol or suspected of drinking or because many offroaders generally drive like jackwagons on the street.

Top Bottom