Build planning questions.

holliewood61

I usualy put my kits together to get what I want. Last one I did ended up with 3 different brands of arms with the front and rear springs being different brands as well. Its more work but one can get the results they really want with the mix n match approach. Ive never seen a "kit" where I liked every aspect of it. As far as height 4" with proper wheels and bump stops and youll be fine

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Any opinions on Skyjacker's 4" lift?

Avoid it... Ran skyjacker before. Wasted my money.
Edit, I understand that for a tj, options differ from a jk. But I was really disappointed in their quality.

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Avoid it... Ran skyjacker before. Wasted my money.
Edit, I understand that for a tj, options differ from a jk. But I was really disappointed in their quality.

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a lift kit you would recommend?

I'm avoiding the mix and match advice. Not because I don't think it would work, but mostly for ease of purchase and shipping. But thanks to holliewood61 for putting his time in to offer his opinion to a newbie.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Thanks for the heads up. Is there a lift kit you would recommend?

I'm avoiding the mix and match advice. Not because I don't think it would work, but mostly for ease of purchase and shipping. But thanks to holliewood61 for putting his time in to offer his opinion to a newbie.

For a tj, I have no clue. Never really thought about it. I had their lift on my jk.

thardy

Banned
How high should a lift be, and what's a good bang for the buck, American made lift kit?

I've heard and seen good things about both the Currie and Rock Krawler TJ kits. And for 33's or 35's, I personally wouldn't go higher than a 3.5" lift.

Moabbnd

This one has the Old Man Emu lift components, 1.25" body lift for a little more clearance and to run flat skids, track bars, and shocks. Great combo lift, plus you don't have to mix and match everything since it's all here

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-man-emu-ultimate-tjlj-wrangler-kit/

BUT if you really want a 4" lift, look into the Currie or Savvy offroad 4" kits. Great quality stuff. Skycrapper, Rough Country, Fabtech, Procomp all are terrible

thardy

Banned
This one has the Old Man Emu lift components, 1.25" body lift for a little more clearance and to run flat skids, track bars, and shocks. Great combo lift, plus you don't have to mix and match everything since it's all here

http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-man-emu-ultimate-tjlj-wrangler-kit/

BUT if you really want a 4" lift, look into the Currie or Savvy offroad 4" kits. Great quality stuff. Skycrapper, Rough Country, Fabtech, Procomp all are terrible

I wouldn't say that Rough Country is terrible for a TJ, but definitely falls into the "you get what you pay for" mindset.

Moabbnd

I wouldn't say that Rough Country is terrible for a TJ, but definitely falls into the "you get what you pay for" mindset.

Just don't get their coils or shocks. Their shocks are rough and their coils sag. The flex joint control arms are decent. I run them on the front of my LJ. I will eventually change their flex joint to a Johnny joint once it wears out, but it's been good for the 16k miles I've put on them.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
You guys rock!

I was just about to ask about ProComp next. That's off the list now, too.

I've read good things about Old Man Emu (ARB holds a lot of respect across the off-road world). But a limit of 2" of lift doesn't give me a lot of desire to go with that. Though, I get what you're saying about going with the 1" of body lift.

Last edited:

Moabbnd

Currie and Savvy work together to make similar products. You might want to check into the savvy dual adjustable aluminum johnny joint control arms, currie track bars, bilstein 5100 or rancho 9000xl shocks, and currie 4" coils.

Here's the link to the currie kit on the savvy site, but you might want to search around the site for the aluminum arms
http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Savvy-...ENSION-ANTIROCK-REAR-TRACK-BAR-CE-9801HSR.htm

In regards to the 2.5" lift with 1.25" bl, I ran that combo on my previous TJ on 35s and it worked great. It kept the center of gravity low, which was wonderful for the off camber situations. Throw on hiline fenders, it'll create a ton of room for articulation or 37s

Attachments

• f065e141-bb34-4c17-8450-5d11144a2395_zps7264703b.jpg
    f065e141-bb34-4c17-8450-5d11144a2395_zps7264703b.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 8-17-13.jpg
    8-17-13.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom