What are people using to paint their bumpers and fenders?

BaddestCross

Maybe it’s just me but why buy expensive parts only to cover them with $5 rattle can spray or equivalent? Get them powder coated or professionally Line-X or Rhino Lined. Line-X even has colors...
Well, particularly for the parts that tend to get beat on, getting a rattle can that can be easily matched is a benefit in the long run. If she was a mall crawler or a show Jeep, powder coating or a pro paint job would be worth the money. Rock rails, fenders, and bumpers professionally done on a rock crawler you may as well torch your fucking wallet.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

MDK210

Well, particularly for the parts that tend to get beat on, getting a rattle can that can be easily matched is a benefit in the long run. If she was a mall crawler or a show Jeep, powder coating or a pro paint job would be worth the money. Rock rails, fenders, and bumpers professionally done on a rock crawler you may as well torch your fucking wallet.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

If that’s the case keep it raw and don’t even waste the $5 ha then when people ask why you didn’t paint it your response could be, “cause I like it raw!”, cause sexual stuff is cool. I’m curious to how Line-X or professional liner would hold up to rocks though so you should do that OP so I can live vicariously through you and report back.

BaddestCross

If that’s the case keep it raw and don’t even waste the $5 ha then when people ask why you didn’t paint it your response could be, “cause I like it raw!”, cause sexual stuff is cool. I’m curious to how Line-X or professional liner would hold up to rocks though so you should do that OP so I can live vicariously through you and report back.
Lol. If rust is your thing, then go for it. 🤣

--

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

--

Even if the parts will get beat on, I would rather have them powder coated. Rattle can doesn’t hold up as well, and you can still touch up powder coat.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Even if the parts will get beat on, I would rather have them powder coated. Rattle can doesn’t hold up as well, and you can still touch up powder coat.

I disagree. Properly prepped and applied, quality rattle can paint holds up extremely well. I've used bedliner on my body armor and sliders as well as color match paint for the center decorative plate of my sliders and I haven't had any peel, chip, or fading other than what the rocks have done.

I will say, that if I did it over again, I'd use a flat or satin black instead of bedliner only because it's difficult to clean the mud off.

--

JAGS

Hooked
If you can find a good and affordable powder coat, that’s a hard to beat base coat because of the multi-step process for prep and adhesion. If you get a matte finish, it’s super easy to rattle can for touch ups.

I personally would never use bedliner as dirt with get trapped in all the roughness. VHT chassis/roll bar or rustolium pro enamel are the only style cans I’d use for anything that is visible.

BaddestCross

If you can find a good and affordable powder coat, that’s a hard to beat base coat because of the multi-step process for prep and adhesion. If you get a matte finish, it’s super easy to rattle can for touch ups.

I personally would never use bedliner as dirt with get trapped in all the roughness. VHT chassis/roll bar or rustolium pro enamel are the only style cans I’d use for anything that is visible.
VHT is great. 👍

--

19YJ94

Caught the Bug

Good information, I was looking to touch up my bumper before winter, sounds like VHT will do the job.

TheGrendel

Maybe it’s just me but why buy expensive parts only to cover them with $5 rattle can spray or equivalent? Get them powder coated or professionally Line-X or Rhino Lined. Line-X even has colors...

rattle can because when they get beat up on the trail they can be easily touched up. not so much with powder coating or line x.

SilverBack775

Why buy expensive stuff and put expensive powder coat on when it’s gonna get scratched up and jacked up?

SilverBack775

Because raw will rust. I tried it for awhile!

SilverBack775

I ended up using VHT on my new poison spider bumpers. Clean the raw real good with iso alcohol and painted about 5 coats on them. They came out amazing! VHT is awesome! No need for primer either, it has it in it. If it gets scratched it’s easy to fix.

98XJ06LJ

Good information, I was looking to touch up my bumper before winter, sounds like VHT will do the job.
I use VHT roll bar & chassis on every build for anything under the Jeep and sliders. It holds up very well and is super easy to touch up when parts get rock rash. Best rattle can paint I've ever found.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Call up your local linex shop and get a quote. Then come back and ask that question again. And who says the parts were expensive? Money doesn’t = better quality. You can easily attain professional level application of bedliner in your driveway. Just have to do the prep work.

JDUBYA420

Used Bed Liner on my EVO Sliders, looks nice, and seems pretty durable

I all, newbie here...

Cole, I am curious to hear what bed liner you used and how it is holding up. I am planning on purchasing the Evo rock sliders in the next few days and am trying to figure out what everyone is doing to coat them. I thought originally I would use store bought rattle can bed liner to make touch ups quick and cheap but if professional bed liner holds up well I would rather go that route.

For those of you who used spray, can you comment on how well it has held up for you so far? I know this is an old thread, just didnt want to create a new one...

fiend

Caught the Bug
I all, newbie here...

Cole, I am curious to hear what bed liner you used and how it is holding up. I am planning on purchasing the Evo rock sliders in the next few days and am trying to figure out what everyone is doing to coat them. I thought originally I would use store bought rattle can bed liner to make touch ups quick and cheap but if professional bed liner holds up well I would rather go that route.

For those of you who used spray, can you comment on how well it has held up for you so far? I know this is an old thread, just didnt want to create a new one...

I’ve been using this stuff to touch up my LOD sliders that came powder coated. It has been more durable than I expected.

I don’t know how well it would work on it’s own, without the powder coat base layer. I suppose it might be fine if you did proper preparation, scuffing up the surface and then using a few coats of self etching primer before putting on the bed liner coat.

IMG_2941.jpg

Noble Woodsman

I all, newbie here...

I use the Iron Armor truck bed coating from Harbor Freight on the underside of my jeep. It's cheap, comes in an aerosol can, and is way better than the rustoleum bed liner, which seems to be mostly solvent. I reapply once per year (after power washing with Simple Green). The Iron Armor is PVC based, so It will degrade in UV light, which i why i only use it on the underbody. Jeep is nearly 5 years old, daily driven 4 of those years in the salty north winters, and still looks like new underneath.

For bumpers, roof racks, etc. in direct sunlight, I use multiple coats of Herculiner. It's polyurethane based, so it's immune to UV degradation, and unlike Linex, you can apply it yourself.

If i had the money, i would go linex all the way. Powder coating only lasts me about three years before rust starts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
I’ve been using this stuff to touch up my LOD sliders that came powder coated.

I use the same stuff. It looks just like the powder coat. I have found it obviously doesn't hold up as long as powdercoat, but it's a great, cheap, quick solution for touch up.

JDUBYA420

I use the Iron Armor truck bed coating from Harbor Freight on the underside of my jeep. It's cheap, comes in an aerosol can, and is way better than the rustoleum bed liner, which seems to be mostly solvent. I reapply once per year (after power washing with Simple Green). The Iron Armor is PVC based, so It will degrade in UV light, which i why i only use it on the underbody. Jeep is nearly 5 years old, daily driven 4 of those years in the salty north winters, and still looks like new underneath.

For bumpers, roof racks, etc. in direct sunlight, I use multiple coats of Herculiner. It's polyurethane based, so it's immune to UV degradation, and unlike Linex, you can apply it yourself.

If i had the money, i would go linex all the way. Powder coating only lasts me about three years before rust starts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Do you think the linex would hold up on rock sliders? does anyone have experience with that? I have used it in pick up beds before and it is crazy durable but I am assuming that it would be tough for anything to hold up while it is being dragged across a boulder....

Top Bottom