IT'S HERE : Jeep JK BIG Bore XD Steerng Gear Box - NOW SHIPPING

AdrockTT

Did anyone ever really figure out what the ported and balanced means? I seen where it was mostly for the full race guys but what is done to it when the port and balance it compared to the normal one?

That means they add a port to hook up the lines for the hydroassist setup to the larger XD box. Normal one does not have a port to hook up a hydrolic cylinder.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Did anyone ever really figure out what the ported and balanced means? I seen where it was mostly for the full race guys but what is done to it when the port and balance it compared to the normal one?

From my understanding the ported and balanced is almost identical to the other one but with the new box you get the bigger shaft and such

DP1120

That means they add a port to hook up the lines for the hydroassist setup to the larger XD box. Normal one does not have a port to hook up a hydrolic cylinder.

Cool thanks for that. I was thinking internal porting for fluid flow of some sort for some reason.

KYRubi

Been debating on ram assist since I slightly bent the drag link and upgraded it to a heavier duty one. This looks like what I would rather do though. I could go with this, and upgrade the tie rod, and should end up with a strong enough system for the wheeling I do, and at about $1K cheaper than the ram assist I was looking at.

deezus

I guarantee you that you would still bend a drag link with 37's especially being that you could apply so much more force with the steering gear alone. I personally would still recommend a PSC ram assist as it will help make steering a LOT easier and it would help alleviate the forces being placed on your drag link considerably.
What if your running an aftermarket drag link?
I still think I will just do a ram, while I would love the box alone, the price jump to have the option of a ram later is just too much for me when I can get a full psc kit for a few hundred more than just the ported box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
my 2 cents

I think this part will be great for a large number of people including myself. I have the Synergy drag link that came with the flip kit so that is stronger and will be switching to their tie rod as well soon. The key I think, is even with those upgrades, I don't really hard core wheel. I you ever see yourself trying the JKX stuff like in the WOL videos even on 35-37's then a ram assist seems like the proper thing to do. For the rest of us this new box is awesome. I will be purchasing one before the year is out. By then we may even see some good reviews from people who took a chance on the big stuff and survived. Like many said, if you already have the ram assist, there is no need to regret it. It's still the best game in town.

sunnysideup

Mine showed up today! Good thing too the old box leaks and is pretty loose!
Upgraded the knuckles to Rancho too... also came in today.
Got another set of new transmission lines to stop that leak again.
Have a new radiator to install...

Here we go sounds like a days work to do them all at once!

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Nice!!!!!
:beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Awesome! Be sure to posts up pics :thumb:

rockwell

Anybody got any off road reviews or comments on this thing yet? Is it acceptable enough for 37's where you would normally use RAM assist or is RAM assist still a better option? I like the symplicity of it over the RAM, but if it's enough aired down in the rocks?

WJCO

Meme King
Anybody got any off road reviews or comments on this thing yet? Is it acceptable enough for 37's where you would normally use RAM assist or is RAM assist still a better option? I like the symplicity of it over the RAM, but if it's enough aired down in the rocks?

Matt (Rancho) is the only one here on the forum that I know that has actually tested this. Hopefully he'll see this thread or you can send him a msg.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
So at the beginning of the year, I went out to Southern UT for a of week of photo and video shooting. We had a 4 door on 35's. We took this thing everywhere out at Sand Hollow, the first day the driver at the time, was just cranking the wheel into stuff. I was scared, as I have broken a steering shaft and it sucks. The JK was from a rental company in UT that works with both Rancho and PSC. They had a lot of stock box issues, like the guy would have to go out on the trail a coupe times a month for a box fix. After this, as far as I know, no issues.
After finding out that it was (at the time) a prototype big box, my fears were calmed. We beat on that rental all week, we did (most of it) the Maze out in Sand Hollow, in snow and ice. This trail is considered (pretty much) a buggy trail. No issues.
These pics are from a trail where we got past the gate keeper and quickly realized it would damage the body, most likely. So we "Austin powered" it and did a 1000 point turn to get out of there!!!

IMG_20170104_144612073_TOP_zpsqvb03d2w.jpg

IMG_20170104_142205621_zpsm0iilatd.jpg

One thing that we did notice in the AM, is that the box could have benefited from a larger reservoir for fluid. Took a few hundred yards to get going.

rockwell

Thanks for the update. Would you say that this box is a suitable option instead of a ram (for 37's) or just a more reliable box with a bit more power? Would you chose it over ram assist?

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Personally at 37" tires I would go with steering assist.
I know that the wheeling I often do that the "ease" of turning with that ram is real easy.
At 35's I was really impressed by this box.
It will be up to the style of wheeling you will do. I know of a guy on 37's will run this no issues too, but he isn't on the upper end of trails.
:)

Thanks for the update. Would you say that this box is a suitable option instead of a ram (for 37's) or just a more reliable box with a bit more power? Would you chose it over ram assist?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally at 37" tires I would go with steering assist.
I know that the wheeling I often do that the "ease" of turning with that ram is real easy.
At 35's I was really impressed by this box.
It will be up to the style of wheeling you will do. I know of a guy on 37's will run this no issues too, but he isn't on the upper end of trails.
:)

I'd have to agree. Also, while the box will be plenty strong enough to prevent a sector shaft break, it'll also be a lot stronger than the drag link and I've seen plenty of those bend just from strong arming the steering without a ram assist.

rockwell

Thanks for clearing that up guys. Sounds like a good option if you just need a new box or not quite as much assist I will need. I'll stick to my plan to go with the ram.

Top Bottom