Trail Wildlife!

boardsurfer

That's a great picture. Those fuckers always take off when I try to snap a photo.

Yep, most of them scattered once we got close, but this guy was 6 feet off the trail, right outside my driver side window. I took this from the driver seat :D.

He hid when we were approaching, then poked his head out just as I was passing so I stopped. Then he just climbed on top of his rock for me. :idontknow:

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Yup. Nice herd that allows limited hunting. They were transplanted back in 1920 or so from the Rockies as the eastern elk were hunted to extinction.

That’s pretty cool. There is a herd up in northern Michigan that was brought in the same way I believe. The local deer hunters get annoyed by them since they can’t hunt them and always seem to be around during deer season.

jdofmemi

Great shot. Surprised you got so close.

Didn’t realize you guys had any elk over there.

Me either.

Yup. Nice herd that allows limited hunting. They were transplanted back in 1920 or so from the Rockies as the eastern elk were hunted to extinction.

That's cool. Looks like it worked.

Do you have large herds, or just small ones?

Ddays

Hooked
Great shot. Surprised you got so close.

Me either.

That's cool. Looks like it worked.

Do you have large herds, or just small ones?

Mostly smaller ones but they will congregate in the larger fields . The total population is around a thousand or so. Almost got wiped out a few times due to brain worm but have bounced back well. Range tends to be limited to a couple counties but they do stray at times. Especially the young bulls.
We came around a bend on that shelf road and surprised both of us. The bull wasn't too happy to see us so we actually hung back some

wjtstudios

Hooked

That’s pretty cool. There is a herd up in northern Michigan that was brought in the same way I believe. The local deer hunters get annoyed by them since they can’t hunt them and always seem to be around during deer season.

They are beautiful animals to see! I’m glad the populations are coming back up. We have a lottery for tags here in Michigan, but not many get a tag and still fewer take an elk.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ddays

Hooked
They are beautiful animals to see! I’m glad the populations are coming back up. We have a lottery for tags here in Michigan, but not many get a tag and still fewer take an elk.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That's the same system we have here. The areas are limited and tend to be on the fringes of the main herd location.

Funny, during shed season people will actually follow the herds around including camping close by for weeks trying to grab the sheds. Nah.

Rst8rox

Just north of Gaylord,Mi is elk territory. Rarely will see one but they’re there. From what I’m told it’s a decent size herd.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom