Synthetic vs. Steel Winch Line Cable

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I've used my Warn synthetic quite a bit in mud and snow this winter. It freezes and gets stiff to work with but hasn't done any damage that I can find. A little farther into spring I will probably give it a good cleaning and air dry, but that is it. I'm going on 3 years with this line, and would never consider going back to cable.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dhughes16

I’ve lived in Fairbanks for 3 years and have a synthetic line. I’ve pulled people out of snow and ditches in as cold as -35 degrees and it’s still going strong. I use it quite a bit too.

sm31

I’ve lived in Fairbanks for 3 years and have a synthetic line. I’ve pulled people out of snow and ditches in as cold as -35 degrees and it’s still going strong. I use it quite a bit too.

Well, if it passes the Fairbanks test then it'll probably work on Mars! I wanted to go synthetic but I just wanted to make sure I had my bases covered. Now if I can just get my friend to sell me his used 8274... :)

PS: I was privileged to catch an Ice Dogs game when I was up there in January. Bar none, the best sporting event I have ever been to in my life!! :beer:

dhughes16

Well, if it passes the Fairbanks test then it'll probably work on Mars! I wanted to go synthetic but I just wanted to make sure I had my bases covered. Now if I can just get my friend to sell me his used 8274... :)

PS: I was privileged to catch an Ice Dogs game when I was up there in January. Bar none, the best sporting event I have ever been to in my life!! :beer:

Nothing but good times at Dogs game! [emoji482]

sm31

I just learned something really interesting about synthetic line yesterday.

Found a really good local resource for off-road knowledge and equipment and synthetic line came up in the conversation. He's an old commercial fisherman (lots of those around here)... said synthetic line was actually developed for pulling crab pots out of the ocean in the Bering Straits, and that it has been "adopted" by the off-road scene. However, the real development and basis for it continues to be the fishing industry.

I no longer have any concerns over the effects of water and/or ice on synthetic line. ;)

sm31

Woot!!! Scored the 8274! And he threw in synthetic line for good measure. Now to figure out how to keep this weird shaped thing covered in winter without breaking the bank on a Warn "just steal me now" cover... :cool:

TheGrendel

Woot!!! Scored the 8274! And he threw in synthetic line for good measure. Now to figure out how to keep this weird shaped thing covered in winter without breaking the bank on a Warn "just steal me now" cover... :cool:

nice. 8274s are bad ass.

for the steel vs synthetic game, these Aussies did some testing on what happens when winch lines snap. it's 20 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XqNX3yFTk

but, the short of it is that both synthetic and steel are dangerous when they snap. but, steel is way, way, way more dangerous. also, those weighted winch blankets don't seem to do anything especially with steel.

Synthetic all day every day.

sm31

Nice score! Let’s see pics!

Yessir!! I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll take some shots. It's a little bit "weathered" but I scored it (and the line, with thimble!!) for $500. May have to replace the solenoid but other than that it's perfectly functional.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Winch type Cable or Rope

I am looking at winches and was hoping for suggestions on what type to get, either a cable or Rope? I am more on having a winch for when I am out trails alone I have or hopefully can get out if I get in a bind.

Ddays

Hooked
I am looking at winches and was hoping for suggestions on what type to get, either a cable or Rope? I am more on having a winch for when I am out trails alone I have or hopefully can get out if I get in a bind.

Synthetic. Safer in the event it snaps. Kept clean it will last for a long time.

WJCO

Meme King

Merged here.

p38

Caught the Bug

I have an "old school" 8274 on my jeep. The winch has been upgraded to the 6hp motor, new gears, etc. You will love this winch. I do not run the original Warn cover because it won't fit properly with the way my winch is mounted. If I can find that cover - you can have it. I'll look out in my shop tomorrow, and I'll see if it's there. It might be at the shop in Woodland - or gone. I'll send you a PM either way.

p38

Caught the Bug
Yessir!! I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll take some shots. It's a little bit "weathered" but I scored it (and the line, with thimble!!) for $500. May have to replace the solenoid but other than that it's perfectly functional.

I think I have one of those Albright solenoids out in the shop, at least I think that's what's in the box. For whatever reason I never put it on - probably because the spot we were going to mount it, is already a 3 lb bag trying to hold 5 lbs. If that's what's in the box - you can have it as well as the cover.

p38

Caught the Bug
I have an "old school" 8274 on my jeep. The winch has been upgraded to the 6hp motor, new gears, etc. You will love this winch. I do not run the original Warn cover because it won't fit properly with the way my winch is mounted. If I can find that cover - you can have it. I'll look out in my shop tomorrow, and I'll see if it's there. It might be at the shop in Woodland - or gone. I'll send you a PM either way.

I tried to PM you - your mailbox is full

Top Bottom