Trail Ready Beadlock Wheels Installation Write-Up

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Negative. You need to install them dry.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was curious so I sent TR an email and this is what they sent back....

TR Wheel Sales <contact@trailready.com>
7:16 AM (28 minutes ago)

to me
Anti-seize is recommended, especially in highly corrosive areas.

Sales Support
TR Beadlock Wheels
PO Box 699
1005 W Hazel St
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
360-503-1901
Fax 425-347-3079
www.trbeadlocks.com
www.facebook.com/TRBeadlocks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was curious so I sent TR an email and this is what they sent back....

TR Wheel Sales <contact@trailready.com>
7:16 AM (28 minutes ago)

to me
Anti-seize is recommended, especially in highly corrosive areas.

Sales Support
TR Beadlock Wheels
PO Box 699
1005 W Hazel St
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
360-503-1901
Fax 425-347-3079
www.trbeadlocks.com

LOL!! Funny how they make NO mention of it in their instructions but actually make a note to use "DRY" torque values for the wheel lugs.
http://trbeadlocks.com/Websites/trwheels/files/Content/3855984/Beadlockinstall.pdf

All I can go off of is what I've always been taught regarding dry vs. wet torque values. Dry is ALWAYS greater and by a considerable amount depending on the bolt size. Unless it's stated specifically in the instructions provided, I always go off of dry values. This is the same for ATX, KMC and the Walkers I've run before and if I recall correctly, they specifically note to install them dry.

Exodus 4x4

LOL!! Funny how they make NO mention of it in their instructions but actually make a note to use "DRY" torque values for the wheel lugs.
http://trbeadlocks.com/Websites/trwheels/files/Content/3855984/Beadlockinstall.pdf

All I can go off of is what I've always been taught regarding dry vs. wet torque values. Dry is ALWAYS greater and by a considerable amount depending on the bolt size. Unless it's stated specifically in the instructions provided, I always go off of dry values. This is the same for ATX, KMC and the Walkers I've run before and if I recall correctly, they specifically note to install them dry.

Yep, dry gives you the most accurate final torque. I mean who’s to say what the torque really is when you apply any kind of lube since the range of viscosity is so broad?

I’m also not sure how much I trust the salesman’s word either. He could’ve just opened up an email and wrote back what he thinks is right instead of actually asking someone who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug

I definitely remember the Dry values but just because, I wanted to send them a note because I didn't see where they said to use or not use...
Next time I pull the bolts I'll use it. I wonder what the torque is for wet???
I'll send another email I suppose

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, dry gives you the most accurate final torque. I mean who’s to say what the torque really is when you apply any kind of lube since the range of viscosity is so broad?

I’m also not sure how much I trust the salesman’s word either. He could’ve just opened up an email and wrote back what he thinks is right instead of actually asking someone who knows.

Exactly! :thumb:

I definitely remember the Dry values but just because, I wanted to send them a note because I didn't see where they said to use or not use...
Next time I pull the bolts I'll use it. I wonder what the torque is for wet???
I'll send another email I suppose

Being that wet values are always LESS and by a considerable amount, tightening to dry values WILL leave you with bolts that have been over-torqued. This is one of the main reasons why guys end up with broken bolts.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Exactly! :thumb:

Being that wet values are always LESS and by a considerable amount, tightening to dry values WILL leave you with bolts that have been over-torqued. This is one of the main reasons why guys end up with broken bolts.

I have no doubt that what you say is true but this is the latest response from TR...

TR Wheel Sales
9:38 AM (4 minutes ago)

to me
Torque max 20 lb ft dry and 25 lb ft lubricated.

Sales Support
TR Beadlock Wheels
PO Box 699
1005 W Hazel St
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
360-503-1901
Fax 425-347-3079
www.trbeadlocks.com

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have no doubt that what you say is true but this is the latest response from TR...

TR Wheel Sales
9:38 AM (4 minutes ago)

to me
Torque max 20 lb ft dry and 25 lb ft lubricated.

Sales Support
TR Beadlock Wheels
PO Box 699
1005 W Hazel St
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
360-503-1901
Fax 425-347-3079
www.trbeadlocks.com

LOL!! Right, because if you have less resistance, you should apply more torque - WTF. Whoever you're talking to there is starting to scare me. If anything, it should be the other way around. Here is a torque spec chart that shows dry and wet values. Believe who you want but I can't make this stuff up.

attachment.php

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm no engineer, but from real world experience with my wife, she is not a happy camper if I use the same torque unlubricated as I would lubricated.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Latest Communication with TR...

I've been told that dry values are always more that wet values but you are saying exactly the opposite. I just want to be sure I'm correct. Is what I've been told incorrect in relation to wet/dry values?

Thanks,
Don

TR Wheel Sales
10:54 AM (26 minutes ago)

to me
Good catch, I typed that backwards.

Torque max 25 lb ft dry and 20 lb ft lubricated.

Sales Support
TR Beadlock Wheels
PO Box 699
1005 W Hazel St
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
360-503-1901
Fax 425-347-3079
www.trbeadlocks.com

Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:49 AM

10:57 AM (24 minutes ago)

to TR
Thanks, I know I'm being a pain but I want it right. The install paperwork says 20 lb dry...

TR Wheel Sales
11:17 AM (4 minutes ago)

to me
20 works but up to 25 is fine

Sales Support
TR Beadlock Wheels
PO Box 699
1005 W Hazel St
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
360-503-1901
Fax 425-347-3079
www.trbeadlocks.com

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Whew! Glad they clarified that. When you're only working with 20-25 ft. lbs., an addition 5 lbs is quite a bit more. Would really suck if people went out there tightening their wet bolts to 10 ft. lbs. or more than they really should.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Whew! Glad they clarified that. When you're only working with 20-25 ft. lbs., an addition 5 lbs is quite a bit more. Would really suck if people went out there tightening their wet bolts to 10 ft. lbs. or more than they really should.

I'm a little disappointed with the inaccurate info but at least nailed them down...

Top Bottom