Steering wheel wobble sometimes full on death wobble 19 JLUR

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I was ready to just replace the front axle but that doesn’t sound like it fixes it. I really want cast knuckles again [emoji4] Does Synergy make a draglink flip kit? I could have sworn I saw one on a certain jeep. I wonder if that would help.

Well, to be clear, the PR44 reuses the factory aluminum knuckles so that may still be the problem. However, Mel is running UD60's with cast knuckles and still has the problem. He does NOT have a ram assist though so it could still be the OE pump.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I moved your JT 50 ft and that steering was so nice even in that short distance. I might call Tom and hear his thoughts on just a big bore box on the JL. We gotta get to the bottom on this. It’s so frustrating and glad we can all work together towards a solution. Everything was amazing then one day it all went sideways. Watch it end up being the weaker frame and larger tires. Ugh

So... when did you install your Patagonia's? Not trying to blame them but Mel has had several customers who've had balance related DW issues and was able to get it under control just by installing a different set of tires. Just a thought.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and I'm glad that you got a chance to drive my JT. Me telling you how nice it steers isn't the same thing as having you feel it for yourself. The 3,000 mile drive out, all the wheeling we did and then the 3,000 mile drive back was super nice.

bkac

Caught the Bug
So... when did you install your Patagonia's? Not trying to blame them but Mel has had several customers who've had balance related DW issues and was able to get it under control just by installing a different set of tires. Just a thought.

10k miles ago. I know you’re not pointing at them but good thought. I swapped them with a buddies 37s before the trip for a week and I still had the same issues. I do have the best two up front lol. I don’t have any steering shimmy when just driving normally when it’s not happening. Yeah, I was referring to Mel’s rig on the cast knuckles and agree with you on the aluminum knuckles that might be the cause too. We are slowly getting to the final few things left. I really don’t want to go hydro which I know would mask it, but I’m not against trying the big bore with the manual psc pump.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

bkac

Caught the Bug
Oh, and I'm glad that you got a chance to drive my JT. Me telling you how nice it steers isn't the same thing as having you feel it for yourself. The 3,000 mile drive out, all the wheeling we did and then the 3,000 mile drive back was super nice.

I wasn’t expecting it to be that easy Aired down on 40s after being used to mine. I got a big smile on my face for the 30 seconds I was in it. [emoji13]

bkac

Caught the Bug
Man I definitely don’t want to go to the dual stabilizer bandaid lol

Please no!
Adjustments.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
10k miles ago. I know you’re not pointing at them but good thought. I swapped them with a buddies 37s before the trip for a week and I still had the same issues. I do have the best two up front lol. I don’t have any steering shimmy when just driving normally when it’s not happening. Yeah, I was referring to Mel’s rig on the cast knuckles and agree with you on the aluminum knuckles that might be the cause too. We are slowly getting to the final few things left. I really don’t want to go hydro which I know would mask it, but I’m not against trying the big bore with the manual psc pump.

Okay, just thought I'd put it out there. Again, a part of me is really starting to suspect the problem might have to do with the electric pump. Seems crazy I know but the fact that the wobble goes away when it's warm out just doesn't make sense to me. I mean, why would a loose or worn out component care what the temps are.

I wasn’t expecting it to be that easy Aired down on 40s after being used to mine. I got a big smile on my face for the 30 seconds I was in it. [emoji13]

Oh yeah, I think we pretty much ran the first part of the week at 18 psi and then the later part of the week at 14 and then less after that. Even on pavement and parking at hotels, we still were able to steer with ease. :yup:

Ddays

Hooked
How many miles are you at? Thanks me too.

25k as of this morning. I bought in Feb. I'm only running 35's on a Rubicon with no lift at the moment. The lift is pending but now? May wait til Summer!!

bkac

Caught the Bug
LOL - well, you could always toe out. That's what I always do for an emergency fix but it'll wear your tires out in a super hurry.

Good I need something to end their life! Lol
I might try going to a zero toe. I have the exact same thoughts and have for awhile with the steering pump. Especially when it changes with the temperature. In theory it sounded like a great fuel savings idea, now look where we are. I hope this is not what we have to look forward to for future cars being engineered. On a positive note PSC will be in business or a long time to come lol

bkac

Caught the Bug
25k as of this morning. I bought in Feb. I'm only running 35's on a Rubicon with no lift at the moment. The lift is pending but now? May wait til Summer!!

Man you get to be in your jeep a lot :) I got mine in Nov and have 12k. It’s my wife’s daily driver 2 miles to school [emoji4]

I also wonder if the backspacing doesn’t help the wobble situation, I’m on KMCs 3.5 backspacing. Maybe I just need to put it back to stock and sell it that way.

Ddays

Hooked
I really don’t want to go hydro which I know would mask it,

Assuming this is an electric pump issue. In reality would this really be "masking" something, like in the case of worn bushings or ball joints? If it is the pump it would be more of a compensation for an issue that short of reprogramming
the pump somehow isn't really fixable. Not even sure that is possible.

Ddays

Hooked
Damn. That's a lot of miles in 8 months

Man you get to be in your jeep a lot :) I got mine in Nov and have 12k.

One of the reasons I bought a JL instead of another Durango for my company vehicle. :brows: I can keep some of the miles off of the other money pit but still take dirt detours whenever the opportunity presents itself.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
My JL has been undrivable due to DW since mid August. I haven't been participating on the forums very much because I'm just sick and tired of it. However a little hydro-bluebird told me about this thread, so I thought I'd jump on. I just posted an update on my build / shenanigans thread over on JLWRANGLER.COM, which can be seen HERE.

If it turns out to be the electro-hydraulic steering, I don't mind going hydro. The electric pump gets replaced with a belt-drive pump. However, I'm not so sure that the aluminum knuckles aren't part of the problem.

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Honestly, it's everyone. Mel has it, Doubletapdaddy has it, you have it and now that it's been getting really cold out, we seem to have it again too. I just picked up a Synergy track bar frame mount brace to see if that'll help things out.

I almost bought that brace, but my wallet was exhausted from throwing money at the problem. Lol. Looking forward to your results.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My JL has been undrivable due to DW since mid August. I haven't been participating on the forums very much because I'm just sick and tired of it. However a little hydro-bluebird told me about this thread, so I thought I'd jump on. I just posted an update on my build / shenanigans thread over on JLWRANGLER.COM, which can be seen HERE.

If it turns out to be the electro-hydraulic steering, I don't mind going hydro. The electric pump gets replaced with a belt-drive pump. However, I'm not so sure that the aluminum knuckles aren't part of the problem.

Man, that just sucks and I'm really sorry to hear it. It really is so frustrating just how many JL's there are with this problem. I can honestly say, while people were getting DW on the JK, it was nothing like this and ALWAYS something I could fix. This is just stupid and there has to be something else going on.

I almost bought that brace, but my wallet was exhausted from throwing money at the problem. Lol. Looking forward to your results.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to this until after SEMA but I will be sure to post up how it works out. Hold tight.

bkac

Caught the Bug

That’s exactly how I’m starting to feel. There’s definitely something more going on. I hope we get our answers. I might just put it back to stock and trade it into the dealership or see if it’s not bad stock and sell it. I kept everything to go back that direction.

Top Bottom