Crush sleeve eliminator vs crush sleeve?

USMC Wrangler

I’m finally getting around to my gear swap. The rear is getting a master rebuild kit and new R&P but my front is the D30 from MybadJK with fairly new 4.56 gears. Because my housing is in better shape, with c-gussets, LCA skids and everything else complete, the gears from the donor axle will go in my OE axle.

My buddy doing the swap for me will setup the front gears just to be sure. He told me to get a pinion seal, crush sleeve and pinion shims. The first thing that popped up in my internet search is a crush sleeve eliminator by Yukon.

IMG_6872.jpg

He says he’s never used them but also never heard anything good or bad about them. I already have a pinion seal on hand, so it kinda looks like this kit would do the trick. But! If there’s some reason to not run this on a DD Jeep and you guys know, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

WJCO

Meme King
It's just a different way to set the preload. If your guy is used to crush sleeves, might as well just stick to that. One benefit to the eliminator is if you ever have to remove the pinion nut, you can just tighten it down without worrying about over-tightening the bearings.

And the pinion shims he asked you to get are not the ones that come with the eliminator. The ones you want to down near the gear head. You want pinion depth shims.

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
The eliminator is good for future repairs such as replacing the pinion seal. Also if there is a mistake made on initial setup then you just adjust shims as apposed to having to buy another crush sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

It's just a different way to set the preload. If your guy is used to crush sleeves, might as well just stick to that. One benefit to the eliminator is if you ever have to remove the pinion nut, you can just tighten it down without worrying about over-tightening the bearings.

And the pinion shims he asked you to get are not the ones that come with the eliminator. The ones you want to down near the gear head.

Ahh, ok. So something like this is probably my best bet?

https://www.revolutiongear.com/product/dana_30_07_18_wrangler_jk_minimum_install_kit_revolution_gear

WJCO

Meme King

Exodus 4x4

That's what I would do. As a matter of fact, I think that's the exact same kit I got from Exodus when I did ours.

Hopefully Exodus or Dynatrac comments on this in regards to whether there is a major benefit to the eliminator. I'm pretty sure Dynatrac uses them on their ProRock 44.

It’s whatever people are comfortable with. Personally I like the eliminator kit but the crush sleeve is faster.

JKbrick

I don’t know how to do gearing YET but my plan would be to use the eliminator in case I would have to change my yoke that it would make it easier to put back together

USMC Wrangler

That's what I would do. As a matter of fact, I think that's the exact same kit I got from Exodus when I did ours.

Hopefully Exodus or Dynatrac comments on this in regards to whether there is a major benefit to the eliminator. I'm pretty sure Dynatrac uses them on their ProRock 44.

Thanks Doug! [emoji1303]

It’s whatever people are comfortable with. Personally I like the eliminator kit but the crush sleeve is faster.

Gotcha. Makes sense, thanks!

I don’t know how to do gearing YET but my plan would be to use the eliminator in case I would have to change my yoke that it would make it easier to put back together

This makes sense too. I’ll check with my buddy and see if he wants to give it a try on the front internals swap or not. This is a complete learning process for me too.

Thanks fellas!

Top Bottom