What problems does your Jeep have this week?

jdofmemi

So, my last problem posted, the headlight, started working again after I pulled it, unplugged it and, didn't see anything unusual, but plugged it back in and it works.

Now, I drove the Jeep to work today due to issues with my work truck.

I disco'd the sway bar, played on some dirt piles, and now the sway bar won't reconnect. The light just flashes.

I checked codes, and the only thing showing is the right and left headlight, low beam voltage low, or something like that. Those codes have been there since I bought the Jeep.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Just realized I dented my rear shock last time out. Is it toast? Or is there some give inside the shock body? I haven’t noticed any difference in handling... but haven’t been paying attention to it either.

IMG_2628.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just realized I dented my rear shock last time out. Is it toast? Or is there some give inside the shock body? I haven’t noticed any difference in handling... but haven’t been paying attention to it either.

If that's a Rancho 5000, you should be fine as it has a twin tube design.

jdofmemi

Kirk

Mine are dented worse than that and they still work fine.

You have a long ways to go before it is a problem.

MtnJeep08

Yep... intermittently and right about the time I pinpoint it, it goes silent. Like it took lessons from a cricket. Frustrating as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I can’t find anything loose. Didn’t start until after I installed the lift. Oh well just have to keep the radio up so I don’t hear it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Superfluous

I need to check my vehicle's engine but mechanics at my place are not available. Good thing I have discovered this obd2 Bluetooth scanner https://theeffectiveguide.com/best-obd2-scanner/best-obdii-bluetooth-scanner-reviews/. I just plugged it into the car’s OBDII connector through Bluetooth, WiFi and USB adapter cables then it monitors my vehicle’s power output & input, RPM’s speed, sensors, transmission, the temperature of my engine, view other fault codes and carry out quick scans and diagnostics. Pretty amazing!

Last edited:

RedPool

Update on my 2020 JLUR: So I dropped it off on Monday morning and picked it up Thursday around 11:30. Had a CEL with Air/Fuel mixture that went away and then a CEL that was persistent. Ended up being a bad O2 sensor and a fuel injector. For future reference, beyond the CEL, my symptoms were tapping at start up for about 5 minutes and a random, mild skip or stutter while driving. It was barely noticeable and almost like I shifted my foot and let off the accelerator a hair. After the fix, it is much quieter and runs better. Beyond not being kept up to speed on the situation, my complaint would be that I was told "a JL is louder than a JK". That may be so but when you drive it daily, you tend to know what is normal and what isn't.

The advisor who helped my wife with her free oil change even tried to pull the air filter trick. Unfortunately for her, she told the wife it was the cabin air filter. Neither of JKs had one from the factory. I went back up and asked where it was and she said they put it back in. It was fun watching her explain why it was missing.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I disco'd the sway bar, played on some dirt piles, and now the sway bar won't reconnect. The light just flashes.

I checked codes, and the only thing showing is the right and left headlight, low beam voltage low, or something like that. Those codes have been there since I bought the Jeep.

You can try fiddling around with it to see if it’ll fix. Same thing happened to mine. After messing around with it for a while, including checking for mud and water intrusion, followed by swapping in a different motor, no dice. I eventually went with an EVO no limits manual disconnect and turned off the flashing light with a Pro Cal. Not as handy as a functioning electric sway bar disconnect, but way better than link disconnects.

jdofmemi

You can try fiddling around with it to see if it’ll fix. Same thing happened to mine. After messing around with it for a while, including checking for mud and water intrusion, followed by swapping in a different motor, no dice. I eventually went with an EVO no limits manual disconnect and turned off the flashing light with a Pro Cal. Not as handy as a functioning electric sway bar disconnect, but way better than link disconnects.

Well, after two days, it connected again, with a noticeable clunk.

When I can get it in a garage again, I will tinker with it. For now, I have JKS links, I will just pull them to wheel.

Between the snow, mud, and dirt, I'm sure that's at least part of the problem.
Too much electronic crap to go wrong.

DaJudge

Went to Moab the end of 2019 and discovered I had a bad U-Joint on the left front axle shaft. It hadn't made any noise and I had just greased it a couple of weeks before. As soon as I put it in 4 wheel drive it started making noise! Crap.
Got home and took it apart and found this:
U-JointCap.jpg

This was what was inside the cap with the zerk! Turns out the design was garbage. There was a dimple in the end of the u-joint that the back of the zerk set into and no provision for the grease to get into that cap. The other three were greased and had no visible wear.
Went ahead and replaced both of them. Interestingly the new ones had a channel cut in the end of the u-joint where the zerk goes.

RedPool

Dropped the JLU off again last night. This is the 3rd time, in 4 weeks, regarding a CEL with an air/fuel ratio code. I went ahead and called the number to get a case started. The so called service advisor even said I may want to do that because it could be the only way to get it fixed. May have to find a different place for repairs as well.

Edit for update: Just spoke with service advisor guy. He told me that engineering is now involved and I won't know anything until Monday or Tuesday. If Tuesday, that will be 10 days it has been in the shop since December 19. Add time for any repairs.

Last edited:

Tall Mike

Still fighting a water leak or leaks on the drivers side.

My carpets were soaked again after the last rain now they are probably frozen I'm sure. :rolleyes2:

Top Bottom