Rock rails

Nichoward

I have a 2015 wrangler unlimited. I have recently had a lift put on my jeep. I am looking at doing my first upgrade myself. I want to know how difficult it is to install a set of rock rails. I was considering the smittybilt rock rails. they are 339 at 4 wheel drive parts. Any feedback would be appreciated. IMG_0181.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
X500^^

Look at how the Smittybilt rails bolt at either end on the body mounts with two nuts holding them on. (yes, I had 'em & tore back off)
Now go and actually hit a big ass rock in the middle of those rails. Where is that rail going to go? Yup, right into the tub.
You have to be honest with yourself as well. Do you really need that protection or are you going to be using these as a set of steps or
because they look cool? I'm not criticizing either answer because this is your money and your Jeep. But if you want real protection
look at EVO & LOD. I know nothing about the PSC rails.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Have to agree...I have the side armor/step from Smittybilt and got them as a step for my wife but they do flex in the middle....will likely upgrade in the future

RageKage

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453920684.018819.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453920703.153992.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453920736.786538.jpg
These are what I have on my rig. And with my lift as high as it is they are very nice for my wife to get use when getting in and out. There's a locking latch that you can remove so that they return to the slider position when you step off. Not sure how well they will hold up but seem very sturdy. Go to YouTube and watch the video about them.

WJCO

Meme King
These are what I have on my rig. And with my lift as high as it is they are very nice for my wife to get use when getting in and out. There's a locking latch that you can remove so that they return to the slider position when you step off. Not sure how well they will hold up but seem very sturdy. Go to YouTube and watch the video about them.

Those aren't rock sliders though are they? Just steps?

Ddays

Hooked
View attachment 184610 View attachment 184611 View attachment 184612

Watch the installation video on their website & you can see how these are held on. No way are these going to protect your tub from rocks - in fact they will actually cause damage to your tub because they are bolted directly to it!
They are more along the line of a brush guard maybe. They do look like a nice option if you are only looking for a set of steps though.

If anyone is looking for an example of a rock guard/slider check out any of the JKX videos Eddie & Cindy made. Those demonstrate what you want your rails to protect you from.
Again, if you aren't going to need that kind of protection then just go with the bolt-ons. Just don't expect them to take any hard hits without damaging your tub.

Last edited:

RageKage

Those aren't rock sliders though are they? Just steps?

Better... They're both! Lol they act as sliders and then you step on them and the weight of your body pushes them down into a step and when you step off the gas shocks bring them back up into sliders.

Last edited:

RageKage

Watch the installation video on their website & you can see how these are held on. No way are these going to protect your tub from rocks - in fact they will actually cause damage to your tub because they are bolted directly to it!
They are more along the line of a brush guard maybe. They do look like a nice option if you are only looking for a set of steps though.

If anyone is looking for an example of a rock guard/slider check out any of the JKX videos Eddie & Cindy made. Those demonstrate what you want your rails to protect you from.
Again, if you aren't going to need that kind of protection then just go with the bolt-ons. Just don't expect them to take any hard hits without damaging your tub.

Oh yea by no means do I think they'll hold up to wheeling like Eddie and Cindy do, but for steps and like you said a sort of brush guard I think they're pretty nice. I plan on getting welded sliders just don't need them at the moment.

Top Bottom