"What the hell do I do now?" An educational thread for wheelin' beginners

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Up front, you're more likely to blow a u-joint than to break a shaft. Assuming this is what you break, you are EXTREMELY likely to take out your ball joints and then you're really shit out of luck. Assuming you break at the shaft, you're more than likely to bind up and break your ring and pinion. Breaking a rear shaft isn't as likely to happen for MOST people but again, if you were to keep driving with one that is broken, you will most likely bind things up and break your ring and pinion. That would be really bad. You really need to pull what's broken to help prevent further damage.

I guess those of us that have never broken a shaft don't really know what it takes to break a shaft, so it's hard to gauge when that breaking point is. You say "someone that doesn't have the tools has no business doing shaft breaking things" and I totally get that, but it's hard to know how far you can go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess those of us that have never broken a shaft don't really know what it takes to break a shaft, so it's hard to gauge when that breaking point is. You say "someone that doesn't have the tools has no business doing shaft breaking things" and I totally get that, but it's hard to know how far you can go.

And, my point is that if you're someone who wants to push things farther, you have an obligation to yourself if nobody else to be as prepared as possible. Again, my idea of "basic tools" INCLUDE all the the above mentioned. If you never have to use them, all the better but better to be safe than sorry and really, these are all tools that you should have already so that you can do routine maintenance at home. :yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I too carry tools, many, but see, I didn't know I needed a 36mm socket (don't even own one), so that would help. I'm also reading writeups to learn how to actually do these things should I need to (if I have all the tools but don't know how to remove the axle shaft then it's just lugging around dead weight.) I guess it's the same reason I have a first aid kit with a stitch kit....but also learned how to stitch if needed. I personally HAVE taken the wrong turn at albuquerque so to speak (trail in colorado, not marked, went the wrong way on a V intersection, and it was black bear style, once I was in I was committed, but mercifully I made it to the end (dead end) and was able to get back out. If that trail turned out to be a one way Carnage Canyon, I would have been in trouble. I guess the point is, sometimes things just don't go as planned, and knowledge is what's going to save your ass.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I too carry tools, many, but see, I didn't know I needed a 36mm socket (don't even own one), so that would help. I'm also reading writeups to learn how to actually do these things should I need to (if I have all the tools but don't know how to remove the axle shaft then it's just lugging around dead weight.) I guess it's the same reason I have a first aid kit with a stitch kit....but also learned how to stitch if needed. I personally HAVE taken the wrong turn at albuquerque so to speak (trail in colorado, not marked, went the wrong way on a V intersection, and it was black bear style, once I was in I was committed, but mercifully I made it to the end (dead end) and was able to get back out. If that trail turned out to be a one way Carnage Canyon, I would have been in trouble. I guess the point is, sometimes things just don't go as planned, and knowledge is what's going to save your ass.

This is the BIGGEST reason why I encourage EVERYONE to do their own maintenance. By working on your own Jeep, you learn more than just how to do something but rather, what all you need to do it. ALL my write-ups have a tools list and going through them and adding what you don't have would be a good start. :yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Absolutely, your write ups are invaluable. Would be awesome if you could make PDFs out of them so we can have them in our phones for offline purposes.....hell, I'd buy them.

GraniteCrystal

This is the BIGGEST reason why I encourage EVERYONE to do their own maintenance. By working on your own Jeep, you learn more than just how to do something but rather, what all you need to do it. ALL my write-ups have a tools list and going through them and adding what you don't have would be a good start. :yup:
This. I feel way more confident that I could fix something on the trail because I do all the parts installations (bumper, lift, roof rack, etc) myself. Still have tons to learn though.
Absolutely, your write ups are invaluable. Would be awesome if you could make PDFs out of them so we can have them in our phones for offline purposes.....hell, I'd buy them.
I also would love a version I can download. I rarely have service where I go.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I carry enough oil to re-fill the engine, 2 or 4 qts gear oil (depending how much space I have), extra front axle shafts, 1 extra rear axle shaft (I run a D30 front and a Dana 35 with the super 35 kit, so extra axle shafts are a must for me), and one thing so many people forget about is drain pans. I don't know how many times I've seen other groups break on the trail and they're just dumping diff fluid or whatever fluid onto the ground....... makes me angry :mad:

I also carry spare side gears and spider gears, and a bunch of other misc parts. Oh, and I always have 2 jack stands in my Jeep...never know when you're going to need them. All of this fits nicely into a decent sized box I fit in the back of my TJ.

:rock:

independentrider

After spending a lot of time reading different topics on here, I feel like have already wasted money. I currently bought a new jku rubicon and ordered suspension for it. I bought the JKS track bars, and currie sway bars, from reading experiences, it's not really an upgrade. I guess I can just use them has spare parts. Where do you guys put all this stuff and still have room for camping gear. Need a chase truck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
After spending a lot of time reading different topics on here, I feel like have already wasted money. I currently bought a new jku rubicon and ordered suspension for it. I bought the JKS track bars, and currie sway bars, from reading experiences, it's not really an upgrade. I guess I can just use them has spare parts. Where do you guys put all this stuff and still have room for camping gear. Need a chase truck!

We have a bunch of threads on storage systems and tools. It's pretty surprising how much you can fit in small spaces.

Here's a good tool thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?39384-What-s-in-your-Jeep-tool-kit

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Always make sure your tools are readily accessible. When I broke it would have taken me longer just to unpack my tools that it took them to complete the trail fix. Once we arrived at camp I completely repacked so I could access them by opening the rear gate. Made sure to toss in the large sockets I forgot for the next trip.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

chitown35

LOSER
If you browse with Google chrome, it will let you save everything as a .pdf
This. I feel way more confident that I could fix something on the trail because I do all the parts installations (bumper, lift, roof rack, etc) myself. Still have tons to learn though.

I also would love a version I can download. I rarely have service where I go.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769
x1000

Sent from my galaxy s5 but it would've been quicker to drive my jeep there and tell you.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I always carry a lot of extra beer...not for me, it's for the guy that knows how to fix the rig...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ain't that the truth!

the problem is I will probably be that guy that does the fixing.

This beer is for you then...thanks

:clap2::clap2::D:D:cheesy::cheesy:

T_rav

This thread just makes me feel like I need a bigger jeep. The storage space for tools in a cj7 is minuscule when I have to keep the backseat for the ladies dogs.

tippedover

Old write up, but I am actually trying to make all of Eddies write up pdfs so I can save them as iBooks on my phone. Unless someone else has or has them saved in a google doc. So much good info!

Top Bottom