JEEP TECH : How to Install ATX Slab Bead Lock Wheels Video w/ Off Road Evolution

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Great instructional vid. I've used bubble balancers for motorcycles and cars with excellent results. Some of us live in areas where the local shops are far away or won't touch beadlocks with large off road tires. Is this a viable option for a garage operation? It looks a little wimpy.:thinking:

Showroom

I've been considering purchasing these. Do bead locks balance as well as regular rims? Do they have to be balanced more often?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been considering purchasing these. Do bead locks balance as well as regular rims? Do they have to be balanced more often?

The balance the same because they are in effect, the same thing as a regular wheel once assembled.

BlackKnight

One thing to remember, they tend to have a lot bigger tires on them than a normal road tire. I would think that not many shops will be able to balance them as the modern spin balancers probably wont fit them verry well. You may need to rely on the "old Fashioned" bubble balancers...

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
One thing to remember, they tend to have a lot bigger tires on them than a normal road tire. I would think that not many shops will be able to balance them as the modern spin balancers probably wont fit them verry well. You may need to rely on the "old Fashioned" bubble balancers...

Discount tire will road force balance them. They are really no different then any other wheel.

Holeshot

Banned

The one we have at the shop, can take up to 44" tires and it is brand new, we had it a couple weeks ago. But costs around 10-11 000$ :eek:

BlackKnight

All the tire shops near to me only have the standard "spinner" balancing equipment, I've only seen one that would take a wheel/tire bigger than a 35" and he mentioned it topped of at a 37/38. Any bigger an it would hit the cowl, it wwas at a shop that only did tires, and usually SUV/truck tires..

kleinrider

The only except to bead locks balancing well is with the homemade weld on type. I have yet to meet anybody running them (not that I've a ton) who didn't have issues with balancing them. They generally don't care because they trailer their rigs to the trails.

remjeep

ATX slabs with 37"MTR won't balance

Really?? Man, my local Discount Tire will road force balance a set of 40x15.50's on bead locks. Maybe different stores have different policies about how to handle things. :idontknow:

Toyos are the same on both sides so you are good to go :yup:

Damn, those look great!! :thumb:

Hey Eddie,

Which Discount Tire will road force balance?
I just had EVO put 37" Good Year MTR's on ATX slabs, had Discount Tire on Lake Forest balance them twice but still getting vibrations above 50mph. I heard lots of people having trouble balancing the MTR's... might want to try the road force balance...

Thanks!

Robert

2trackin

I used dynabeads 37 toyos on Slabs. Up to 80mph smooth as silk. Used 12oz per wheel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

Hey Eddie,

Which Discount Tire will road force balance?
I just had EVO put 37" Good Year MTR's on ATX slabs, had Discount Tire on Lake Forest balance them twice but still getting vibrations above 50mph. I heard lots of people having trouble balancing the MTR's... might want to try the road force balance...

Thanks!

Robert

Unfortunately, it will probably not get much better with a road force balance (but it's worth a try). I ran 40" MTR/K's and I just learned that a slight vibration above 60mph was what I had to live with. It's also one of the reason I will never run MTR's again, the other reason is the incredibly weak sidewalls.

Top Bottom