Your Dog will be Fine - You will DIE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This isn't the first time that I've read a story like this and in just the last couple of months. It's just so stupid that people would risk their lives to try and save a dog that's completely capable of surviving on it's own. In this case, a mother and father are dead for trying to save their 16 year old son who went into 10 ft high surf trying to save their dog. The son is still missing but you guessed it, the dog made it back to shore safely on its own. What an unnecessary tragedy. :grayno:

Parents swept to sea in effort to save son, dog

EUREKA, Calif. (AP) — Family members trying to rescue their dog from powerful surf in Northern California were swept out to sea, leaving a couple dead and their 16-year-old son missing, authorities said.

Waves reaching 10 feet in height pulled the dog into the ocean as it ran to retrieve a stick at Big Lagoon, a beach north of Eureka, said Dana Jones, a state Parks and Recreation district superintendent.

Jones said the boy went after the dog, prompting his father to go after them. She said the teenager was able to get out, but when he didn't see his father, he and his mother went into the water looking for him.

"Both were dragged into the ocean," Jones said of Saturday's tragedy.

The Times-Standard reports (http://bit.ly/UmSP2P) the couple's daughter called police.

Jones said a park ranger had to run a half mile to get to the beach because his car wasn't made to handle the terrain. When he arrived, he wasn't able to get to them because of the high surf, she said.

Rescuers eventually retrieved the mother's body and the father's body washed up.

The dog got out of the water on its own, Jones said.

The Coast Guard deployed a helicopter and two motor life boats to search for the teenager, but the aerial search was suspended by thick coastal fog.

A call seeking the status of the Coast Guard's search on Sunday wasn't immediately returned.

http://news.yahoo.com/parents-swept-sea-effort-save-son-dog-105320688.html

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another one that happend back in August...

Couple that drowned at Hampton Ponds in Westfield identified
Family dog they were trying to save survived

Updated: Tuesday, 21 Aug 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 21 Aug 2012, 7:45 AM EDT
Nicole Nalepa

WESTFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - Westfield police have released the names of a couple that drowned Monday night on Hampton Ponds while they were trying to save their family pet.

Police Capt. Hipolito Nunez identified the victims as Daniel Cyr, 64, and Patricia Cyr, 61, both of Westfield.

Around 6:30 Monday night, state police say the two were on their pontoon boat when their dog jumped off and went into the water. Daniel Cyr jumped into the pond in an attempt to save the dog, but was having trouble staying afloat, and his wife tried to save him.

Craig LaPierre lives right next to Hampton Ponds. He witnessed the aftermath of this tragedy.

"It didn't look good from what we could see. The people were pulled out of the water, [there were] stretchers....", LaPierre.

It's still unclear how the couple managed to drown, and state and Westfield police continue their investigation. However, Westfield Sgt. Raymond Manos told 22News that the victims were not wearing life jackets.

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/hampden/couple-drowns-trying-to-save-dog

:grayno:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
All around a sad stories.:(

This isn't the first time that I've read a story like this and in just the last couple of months. It's just so stupid that people would risk their lives to try and save a dog that's completely capable of surviving on it's own. In this case, a mother and father are dead for trying to save their 16 year old son who went into 10 ft high surf trying to save their dog. The son is still missing but you guessed it, the dog made it back to shore safely on its own. What an unnecessary tragedy. :grayno:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Yeah that sucks! You would think people could put 2 and 2 together.... Ok the dog got sucked out to sea and so I'm going to go in after it because I'm a better swimmer than a 4-legged dog and the ocean is nicer to humans...WTH? :thinking::naw:

As for the elderly couple on the boat you'd think they'd at least put on a life jacket... We always play on the lake but we also always wear life jackets while in the water just to be safe. And when I'm 61 I'm not jumping in the lake after my dog! We can get a new one if it can't make it back to shore....

It's sad when people let their emotions get in the way of good sense. Sad as it is.:doh:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't know what goes through people's heads sometimes. I loved my dog when he was still alive but I would never risk my own life to save his in a situation like this. Dogs are far better swimmers then humans. Sad story for sure.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Sad story but I would of let the dog live or die. Same goes for another person I may sound harsh but Im not making more than one person that needs to be rescued. Let the professionals do it!

Top Bottom