Trail Ready Beadlock Wheels Installation Write-Up

jdofmemi

Bump on an old thread.

I mounted a new spare today on my Trail Ready beadlocks, and thought I should have read this first, I pretty much hit all the right points.

I tightened the bolts in a circle, little by little, though now I see I should have gone in a star. In the end, it came out right, and I went 3 times around without turning a bolt for final torque.

After mounting the spare, I thought "I wonder about the bolts on the rest of the wheels. I have not checked them since I bought it.

I tightened every bolt between a quarter to a half a turn, and a handful about three quarters of a turn.

I ended up going around each wheel four times until I was satisfied that all bolts we're in spec.

There has been no sign of leaking, and no gap between the rings and wheels. I don't know if they came loose over time, or were never tightened up correctly to begin with.

Now I'm sure glad I checked it out. I wonder what else is loose? Now I am on a mission to make sure things are right before the next Rubicon trip.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Bump on an old thread.

I mounted a new spare today on my Trail Ready beadlocks, and thought I should have read this first, I pretty much hit all the right points.

I tightened the bolts in a circle, little by little, though now I see I should have gone in a star. In the end, it came out right, and I went 3 times around without turning a bolt for final torque.

After mounting the spare, I thought "I wonder about the bolts on the rest of the wheels. I have not checked them since I bought it.

I tightened every bolt between a quarter to a half a turn, and a handful about three quarters of a turn.

I ended up going around each wheel four times until I was satisfied that all bolts we're in spec.

There has been no sign of leaking, and no gap between the rings and wheels. I don't know if they came loose over time, or were never tightened up correctly to begin with.

Now I'm sure glad I checked it out. I wonder what else is loose? Now I am on a mission to make sure things are right before the next Rubicon trip.

I don't know if this helps or not but when I saw your post I remembered their instructions saying to never re-torque after initial install.
http://trbeadlocks.com/Websites/trwheels/files/Content/3855984/Beadlockinstall.pdf

jdofmemi

jdofmemi

Another thread bump.

Getting ready to mount my new tires, and that means new beadlock bolts. I reread the whole thread, and can't find if they are course, 18, or fine, 24, thread 5/16 bolts

I can get them in bulk, 200 for $33 but would hate to have that many of the wrong ones.

I'm out of town, so I can't even pull one from the spare to check

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Another thread bump.

Getting ready to mount my new tires, and that means new beadlock bolts. I reread the whole thread, and can't find if they are course, 18, or fine, 24, thread 5/16 bolts

I can get them in bulk, 200 for $33 but would hate to have that many of the wrong ones.

I'm out of town, so I can't even pull one from the spare to check

Take a look at TR's site. I believe they say.
Take a look at ordering from them (they say there) then get them from the hardware store

jdofmemi

Take a look at TR's site. I believe they say.
Take a look at ordering from them (they say there) then get them from the hardware store

I found it, I was looking at the install instructions, and it called out diameter and length, but not pitch.
On the order page per your suggestion, it calls out pitch at 18

Proper size grade 8, 5/16", 1 1/4" long, 18 threads per inch

Ddays

Hooked
Thread bump

Guys out there running TR's - any type of issues you've run into with these wheels? Bolts hold torque, no leaks, etc etc. I'm really starting to dig these and they're at the top of my list for my replacement wheels at the moment.

Thread bump

Guys out there running TR's - any type of issues you've run into with these wheels? Bolts hold torque, no leaks, etc etc. I'm really starting to dig these and they're at the top of my list for my replacement wheels at the moment.

Don’t get the raw.
IMG_0204.jpg .
IMG_0204.jpg .

jdofmemi

Thread bump

I have them, and have not had any issues.

One thing I have noticed is the rings are thinner than some of the others. When I first got the Jeep, the bolts stuck out, just a little bit, and some of the heads got rounded a bit.
When I changed tires from the MTR's that were on it to Cooper STT's, I left the washers off, and now the bolts sit flush.
In hindsight, I maybe should have gotten the available spacer, since the STT has a thicker bead. I got it tightened until it was in contact with the wheel, and never exceeded the 26 ft-lbs of torque, though it seems I had to keep going around forever to get them all there. The end result is a ring slightly concave, but not coming loose.

I have put about 22,000 miles on them since I got the Jeep, and it never gets driven anywhere but to go wheeling and back. I would buy another set without hesitation.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Thread bump

I've been running them for a couple of years now and had zero problems. I'm on my second set of tires on them with 30K miles. I haven't retorqued per the instructions and everything looks right.

I know Jerry bought his used and they had washers on which aren't supposed to be there. My thought on why the washers were there is there isn't a lot of clearance for a socket to get in to tighten them up and that's why they get rounded off on the rocks. You def need a thin wall socket.

Ddays

Hooked

I have them, and have not had any issues.

One thing I have noticed is the rings are thinner than some of the others. When I first got the Jeep, the bolts stuck out, just a little bit, and some of the heads got rounded a bit.
When I changed tires from the MTR's that were on it to Cooper STT's, I left the washers off, and now the bolts sit flush.
In hindsight, I maybe should have gotten the available spacer, since the STT has a thicker bead. I got it tightened until it was in contact with the wheel, and never exceeded the 26 ft-lbs of torque, though it seems I had to keep going around forever to get them all there. The end result is a ring slightly concave, but not coming loose.

I have put about 22,000 miles on them since I got the Jeep, and it never gets driven anywhere but to go wheeling and back. I would buy another set without hesitation.

I've been running them for a couple of years now and had zero problems. I'm on my second set of tires on them with 30K miles. I haven't retorqued per the instructions and everything looks right.

I know Jerry bought his used and they had washers on which aren't supposed to be there. My thought on why the washers were there is there isn't a lot of clearance for a socket to get in to tighten them up and that's why they get rounded off on the rocks. You def need a thin wall socket.

Ed has them on Brute if I am not mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good info gents - thanks. Even you Andy ;)

Damn trout, that's a shame. Sorry to see those. Same happened to a couple of mine like that. Problem is that I absolutely dig the raw finish ao I'm planning on getting raw but have already talked to a shop about clear coating them. I'm not dealing with pitted wheels again.

I'd definitely get the spacers and one of my concerns was the bolt heads sticking out. Glad to see that they do not.

jdofmemi

The odd thing about the washers is I recall seeing them on Trail Ready's site, and they come in the hardware kit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190816-104407.jpg
    Screenshot_20190816-104407.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 96

Ddays

Hooked
The odd thing about the washers is I recall seeing them on Trail Ready's site, and they come in the hardware kit.

OK, so now I'm confused on the washers. Looking closer at Eddies pics and blowing up the pic of a wheel on TR's site - they both show the washers. Are they not needed?

Brute

Hooked
I’ve had three sets of TR’s (one set I sold when I replaced the axles on Brute and needed more backspacing)...and really like them.

I’ve only had one issue, which came up recently...I heard a noise coming from my rear wheel area, and pulled over repeatedly while heading out to the Cascades to fish (hard to believe)...when I got back and pulled off the wheel thinking it was a brake noise, I found that the stud holes had enlarged; the lug nuts where not loose...I think the cause was due to the lug nuts mating surface degraded somehow. I contacted TR, and even though the wheel was more than a year old, they said they would replace it under warranty. When I get back to WA in a couple weeks, I’m driving up to their place...they will remove my tire from the wheel and remount it on the new wheel. I’m actually looking forward to checking out their shop and hope to get a tour...

Attachments

• 99FC3D4B-384D-4230-8B27-CD41DF9CD50D.jpg
    99FC3D4B-384D-4230-8B27-CD41DF9CD50D.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 96
  • CBC4A468-52E5-4C1B-9E05-69429E9EA9DD.jpg
    CBC4A468-52E5-4C1B-9E05-69429E9EA9DD.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 96
Top Bottom