Red locktite on driveshaft...

I have aftermarket double Cardan front and rear shafts. Changed the yokes on the t case and the rear pinion. Used red locktite on the yokes. Don’t regret it. Those need to stay on real good. HOWEVER, I was in instruction following mode and used red on the bolts that attach the front drive shaft to the oem front diff :doh: I need to break it off to grease, and I would like to be able to break it off on the trail to swap out a u joint if necessary. Does anyone carry a butane torch on the trail or have a better idea?!

EDIT: Thoughts on blue vs red for this application in the future...

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Even with red locktite, it's not that hard to remove the bolts again with basic hand tools or a cordless impact.

Depends what red you used. If you just got it from a parts store it’s not the more permanent red, yes there are different reds and also different compounds for bolt size as well. Technically supposed to be released with heat. But honestly you can pop them with a ratchet just as easy as blue, especially smaller bolts like yoke straps.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

G-mansjk

I have to agree here, or just drop your purse!!! Maybe start doing pushups or something Haha!!! Never had a problem breaking any bolts or nuts with red locktite even with standard 3/8 drive ratchets or compact box end wrenches .
Even with red locktite, it's not that hard to remove the bolts again with basic hand tools or a cordless impact.

That's right I'm a window licker, I can't spell, my grammar sucks!!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to agree with others. I make sure to use red on my drive shaft bolts and NEVER have an issues removing them even on the trail.

Top Bottom