JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

KICKROX

Has anybody used the Magellan TRX7?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I do. I use it every time I do a new trail just in case I want to go back and do the trail again. It works good. If you don't want to spend the money for the Magellan unit, you can download the app for FREE that works just the same on your ipad or iphone. I actually purchased the Magellan unit because there are places your cell phone won't get signal and the Magellan does a pretty good job of keeping track while on the trail. I use my ipad one on my side by side and works just as good.

DR DPE

I do. I use it every time I do a new trail just in case I want to go back and do the trail again. It works good. If you don't want to spend the money for the Magellan unit, you can download the app for FREE that works just the same on your ipad or iphone. I actually purchased the Magellan unit because there are places your cell phone won't get signal and the Magellan does a pretty good job of keeping track while on the trail. I use my ipad one on my side by side and works just as good.

Does the unit work like a normal GPS and does it have a separate antenna?

Sahara_Maverick

I use a 7in Android tablet (Samsung) that has its own GPS and does not need cell service signal.

App is Orux Maps, which allows you to download maps for offline use. App is free but encourages donations to continue development.

Besides the maps it also has many other offroad utilities like an inclinometer and other stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

I like Avenza Maps app. It uses your phone/tablet GPS with .pdf geospatial maps, which NH and VT have for each town. Every road that you can use is on the maps, and the Avenza app shows where you are. You can record and export, maybe .kml? Maybe .gpx. that stuff is beyond me, I always screw it up.
I assume other states have mapping requirements, and they would likely use the same type of .pdf map.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Gaia GPS here as well. You just download the map of an area before you go and then it’s available offline. You also get stats on your tracks like elevation change, speeds, mileage, etc.

duktrx

I like Avenza Maps app. It uses your phone/tablet GPS with .pdf geospatial maps, which NH and VT have for each town. Every road that you can use is on the maps, and the Avenza app shows where you are. You can record and export, maybe .kml? Maybe .gpx. that stuff is beyond me, I always screw it up.
I assume other states have mapping requirements, and they would likely use the same type of .pdf map.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I used Avenza maps last week on some USFS roads in central Oregon, downloaded the USGS maps to my tablet, worked flawlessly. I think every range district in the US also has the digital maps on their Web pages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Most parts of the trail doesn't have cell reception...try downloading the Funtreks app onto your phone...it has all of the Moab trails on it; just download the trail maps when you have good cell reception prior to hitting the trail

woof359

no cell ?

you sound Like the lady I was talking to on the phone the other day when she wanted both Lan and cell, told her no cell and I could hear her repeating that to office mates and laughing, . one of these days when PIGS fly Ill add another bill to my monthly collection ;)

Ddays

Hooked
you sound Like the lady I was talking to on the phone the other day when she wanted both Lan and cell, told her no cell and I could hear her repeating that to office mates and laughing, . one of these days when PIGS fly Ill add another bill to my monthly collection ;)

No cell phone? What the fuck do you do at traffic lights? :thinking:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

not-all-super-heroes-wear-capes-kids-shirts.jpg

If you truely have no cell phone, you are either among the smartest people alive today; or the most paranoid.
:twocents:

either way, :rock:

Top Bottom