A new eruption just started here in Hawaii

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
There is a guy on YouTube I've been following since the eruption. He was ecstatic the day the river slowed down and stopped. I've never pretty familiar with the streets and land marks in Lelani Estates because of it. Volcanoes remind us just how powerful this earth really is.

Are things getting back to normal over there? I'm sure there are still people displaced bit hopefully they're beginning to move forward.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It’s really hard to explain but the sort answer is yes, to an extent. Everything is generally back to normal, but it’s almost like a horror movie when there’s a place that we just can’t go to anymore. There are still roadblocks and stuff that won’t let us go down there. I still haven’t been able to see the 50’ wall of rock that blocks a road we would take on a regular basis to pohoiki. I’ve seen pictures and videos all over the place but it just hasn’t hit me what it looks like in person. In a sense in my mind, the road is still there but we just can’t go. Another sense is telling me that it’s gone.... just really hard to explain. However, generally speaking, yes life is back to normal. People still go to work, school, and shop. It’s just that there’s a huge amount of uncertainty about what’s going to happen down there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
There is a guy on YouTube I've been following since the eruption. He was ecstatic the day the river slowed down and stopped. I've become pretty familiar with the streets and land marks in Lelani Estates because of it. Volcanoes remind us just how powerful this earth really is.

Are things getting back to normal over there? I'm sure there are still people displaced bit hopefully they're beginning to move forward.

jesse3638

Hooked

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Hopefully it's not just plugged and priming for a catastrophic explosion.

This is a big concern here because we went from 5+ magnitude quakes almost daily and hundreds of shallow 3+ to literally nothing within about 6 hours. This also coincided with dramatically reduced amounts of lava out of the fissure, which has since stopped altogether. The puzzling and concerning part is that how that much rock has dropped and has been gradually relieving pressure through those quakes... but has come to an abrupt halt. If it’s not gradually relieving pressure anymore, who knows what’s going to happen. There’s no way that magma has just stopped flowing underground, so it’s more a matter of when... not if something will happen.

Lulls in activity are not uncommon though. I think in the 50s, all activity stopped within a matter of minutes and paused for around 6 weeks or so before coming back with a vengeance. However, the summit has never collapsed like this before.

JAGS

Hooked
The summit collapse progression is pretty amazing. Now it’s night and day from months ago. And fissure 8 was like it’s own volcano.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I wasn’t invited [emoji19] but my dad and his friend made the grueling hike out to pohoiki bay to check out the new beach. Apparently some surfers are making the trek as well. Here are a few shots from his drone. Looks like a great spot. Hopefully they don’t clear a “road” through or it’ll be a mess of people. A Jeep trail would be nice.

IMG_7040.jpg
IMG_7041.jpg
IMG_7039.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah it is. I literally just found out that cops got flown in today and shut it down. Super lame but I can see why. There’s no help if anyone gets in trouble down there.

Thought in Hawaii all beaches were public so why make people leave? What happened to personal accountability? The world is trying to be too safe. The cops should have stood at the road blocks during the eruption and told people "Don't go close to the lava, it's hot and could burn you"

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Thought in Hawaii all beaches were public so why make people leave? What happened to personal accountability? The world is trying to be too safe. The cops should have stood at the road blocks during the eruption and told people "Don't go close to the lava, it's hot and could burn you"

Technically, yes but that area is still considered a “disaster” zone and within the mandatory evacuation area even though the eruptions has stopped. It’s just another ploy for the local government to control people. I completely agree with you though. They could just post up signs saying “hazardous area. Enter at your own risk. No emergency services beyond this point” kinda thing. If people don’t know what the hazards are then they don’t belong there anyway.

TheGrendel

agreed especially in the US thanks to our overly litigious society. :puke:

Brute

Hooked
On Oahu, there was a nice short hike that would end in a nice pool and waterfall to swim in. There were small posted signs that would warn hikers of the inherent dangers involved, but everyone ignored them. Then one day after a lot of rain softened the hillsides along the trail to the waterfall, a bunch of rocks rolled down and killed a tourist hiking to the falls...the family sued the state of Hawaii...and prevailed in a multi million dollar lawsuit...

Sacred Falls is still closed to the public to this day...

Top Bottom