Optima yellow top warranty

Jeep Bro 08

Does anyone know the warranty period from 4WP ? i bought it feb 2015 .the battery so dead charge over night didn't work. I had a diesel truck jump it came on ran for a minute & died .my alternator is new What else could it be?

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Does anyone know the warranty period from 4WP ? i bought it feb 2015 .the battery so dead charge over night didn't work. I had a diesel truck jump it came on ran for a minute & died .my alternator is new What else could it be?

call 4WP for warranty info but I'd recommend you get a different brand, ever since Optima was sold and manufacturing moved to Mexico they have not been a quality battery, your dead battery is a common issue.

I'm running the Odyssey, Batteries Plus also carries X2Power batteries which are also a solid battery. either of these are better than any optima especially if you have extra lights, winch etc...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Just because it's a new alternator doesn't mean to good. If it was a rebuilt/remaned one it can still be bad. Just saw this happen a couple times during my last class.

Breer

Caught the Bug
call 4WP for warranty info but I'd recommend you get a different brand, ever since Optima was sold and manufacturing moved to Mexico they have not been a quality battery, your dead battery is a common issue.

I'm running the Odyssey, Batteries Plus also carries X2Power batteries which are also a solid battery. either of these are better than any optima especially if you have extra lights, winch etc...

Did not know this, glad I opened up the thread. Thanks for posting!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It really is sad. Optima used to be a great battery and one that I always ran. Now, they suck and have a hard time holding a charge.

I've had an optima yellow top for about 6 months now. It recently just hit the 40 degree mark in Houston. This morning it struggled turning over after sitting overnight. Once the optima dies whenever that is, I'll be going with an odyssey for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jeep Bro 08

I just got the free replacement battery, Im wondering should i charge battery overnight with a battery tender jr or is that thing just for maintaining the battery

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just got the free replacement battery, Im wondering should i charge battery overnight with a battery tender jr or is that thing just for maintaining the battery

DO NOT do this unless you are using the charger Optima sells. For some stupid reason, it needs to be used for charging and even at that, I've seen where it still doesn't work right.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
DO NOT do this unless you are using the charger Optima sells. For some stupid reason, it needs to be used for charging and even at that, I've seen where it still doesn't work right.

I'm not sure what charger they sell but maybe because it's a glassmat battery they make it so the charging amps are only 2A so people don't cook the gel inside of them

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure what charger they sell but maybe because it's a glassmat battery they make it so the charging amps are only 2A so people don't cook the gel inside of them

It's this stupid thing and yes, I think it's for the reason you stated.

images.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
It really is sad. Optima used to be a great battery and one that I always ran. Now, they suck and have a hard time holding a charge.
Yeah I just replaced my yellow top in my truck. It was 7 years old. I replaced it with an interstate from Costco. Figured for $89 with a 3.5 year full replacement warranty it was worth it..;)

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I just replaced my yellow top in my truck. It was 7 years old. I replaced it with an interstate from Costco. Figured for $89 with a 3.5 year full replacement warranty it was worth it..;)

Funny you should say as much. While I am running an Odyssey on both Moby and Rubicat, I have been switching over to Interstate on all my other Jeeps and getting them from Costco as well :yup:

jesse3638

Hooked
Funny you should say as much. While I am running an Odyssey on both Moby and Rubicat, I have been switching over to Interstate on all my other Jeeps and getting them from Costco as well :yup:

The guys working the battery tire center even go as far as to tell you to bring it back in 41 months and we'll give you a new one. I can't in good conscience do that though. Now if it was failing you bet I am but to return a seemingly good batery. I'd have a hard time sleeping. Plus I know karma would kill my new battery when I need it most...;)

JAGS

Hooked

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'll be searching for a new battery pretty soon. Of the choices and prices out there, how would you rate the interstate to other non-optima bats?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be searching for a new battery pretty soon. Of the choices and prices out there, how would you rate the interstate to other non-optima bats?

The whole point to getting something like an Optima Yellow Top or Odyssey is that they're deep cycle batteries. If you have a winch that you use often, carry a fridge or have tons of old school lights that have a big draw, this is good to have because you can take them down low and still bring them back to life again. The Optima Yellow Top used to be good at this and it's what I used to run all the time but as of late, they seems to suck. Odyssey is awesome but they are pretty damn expensive. Sears used to sell a repackaged Odyssey sold as a Die Hard but they've stopped selling it a few years back. Interstate has a solid reputation for making good batteries but they are still a traditional battery. I have not run one on either of my JK's so I couldn't tell you for sure how well they would or wouldn't do but, I might be tempted to give one a try.

jesse3638

Hooked

I've had one in my Jeep for about 6 months and one in my truck for about 3 weeks. So far so good. For the price, warranty and my current needs they are working fine. Once I start getting add-ons for the jeep I may switch to a deep cycle AGM battery like an Odyssey or just go dual Interstates. They are cheap at Costco ($79-$89). Like I said 7 years out of my old Optima yellow top was pretty good IMO when considering the stock battery in my truck lasted 2.5 years and Jeep 3.5 years. Plus if you have issues Costso always takes care of their customers and will give you a full refund. So whats to lose...haha.

Edit: Appears Eddies is a faster typer than I and added the benefits of the deep cycle and cost associated with it.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
The whole point to getting something like an Optima Yellow Top or Odyssey is that they're deep cycle batteries. If you have a winch that you use often, carry a fridge or have tons of old school lights that have a big draw, this is good to have because you can take them down low and still bring them back to life again. The Optima Yellow Top used to be good at this and it's what I used to run all the time but as of late, they seems to suck. Odyssey is awesome but they are pretty damn expensive. Sears used to sell a repackaged Odyssey sold as a Die Hard but they've stopped selling it a few years back. Interstate has a solid reputation for making good batteries but they are still a traditional battery. I have not run one on either of my JK's so I couldn't tell you for sure how well they would or wouldn't do but, I might be tempted to give one a try.

I've had one in my Jeep for about 6 months and one in my truck for about 3 weeks. So far so good. For the price, warranty and my current needs they are working fine. Once I start getting add-ons for the jeep I may switch to a deep cycle AGM battery like an Odyssey or just go dual Interstates. They are cheap at Costco ($79-$89). Like I said 7 years out of my old Optima yellow top was pretty good IMO when considering the stock battery in my truck lasted 2.5 years and Jeep 3.5 years. Plus if you have issues Costso always takes care of their customers and will give you a full refund. So whats to lose...haha

Thanks, yeah, the reason I'm looking to upgrade is that I now have a winch (not used that often) and recently purchased and ARB fridge.

My stock battery is the second one I've had in the Jeep. The first last just over two and half years. The current is closing in on the 2.5 year mark now.

Been following the deep cycle battery thread for a while. Trying to make sense of it all now without the die hard option. Is the odyssey the main option?

Top Bottom