35 Spline D44 Vs SF60?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
If you see Eddies video of him running 40’s on a 35 spline 44, he grenaded his ring and pinion, not his shafts which is most likely what will happen even with a light foot under the right conditions...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Another thing is he was running 5.38s if I remember right, I’m currently on 4.88s and would probably only jump up to 5.13 if I felt like it absolutely needed it. I hated my 4.88s on 37s. It felt way over geared and I was cruising above 3k on the highway. The 4.88s seem perfect with the 38s right now so I couldn’t imagine bumping above 5.13 for 40s.

If I do end up breaking a r&p, I have a brand new one on the shelf with master kit from when I bought the pro rock so itl be a lesson learned. The general consensus here is to stay away from the sf 60 though. Might just leave it alone until it gives me an issue and go from there.

To be clear, it was a 5.38 ring & pinion, 35 spline ARB locker, in an oem non-rubicon rear D44 housing, pushing HEAVY 40/15.50R20 toyos on 20" spiderlocks.... basically the heaviest tire possible. the shafts were fine, but the ring gear was stripped because the pinion was so small it only engaged a few teeth at a time.

My revolution rear 32 spline shafts have been fine with 37s on slabs and 1.5" spacers. I wont lie and say I dont worry about them when the trail gets tough, but so far they have survived some spinning on the rocks just fine (good bumps).

I think a 35 spine conversion in the rear 44 will be the better bet over a SF60 for you (and the majority of people). the ONLY thing the SF60 will gain you is ring and pinion strength... but you want to run the 4.88 gearset anyway, which is plenty strong in the D44 :twocents: save 60s for full float hubs IMO

Last edited:

Braxtonsag

I appreciate everyone’s input! I think at 5.13 on the 44 I’ll probably be fine. I’m sure Itl atleast last until I can afford to go FF front and rear. I really don’t plan on living in this flat shithole forever

fiend

Caught the Bug
I appreciate everyone’s input! I think at 5.13 on the 44 I’ll probably be fine. I’m sure Itl atleast last until I can afford to go FF front and rear. I really don’t plan on living in this flat shithole forever

As long as you stay with 37s and don’t get crazy with the throttle you should be fine. I’ve been running 37s on a PR44 front and rubicon 44 rear. Stock lockers with ten factory chromoly shafts. 5.13 gears. This set up has served me well for several years of wheeling, including multiple trips to Moab, a couple of Rubicon runs, Fordyce, and many local runs in the mountains and desert. I haven’t even bent any flanges. 🤞🏻

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Been running 5.13, stock 30 spline, and arb air locker in my sport 44 for years. No issues.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I’m running a Non Rubicon 44 with 35 Spline Revolution shafts and a Ox Locker. No issues yet. Probably jinxed myself. [emoji16]

Ddays

Hooked
I’m running a Non Rubicon 44 with 35 Spline Revolution shafts and a Ox Locker. No issues yet. Probably jinxed myself. [emoji16]

How's the operation of that OX locker been? That's another thing I'm looking at per my advisor at Exodus Jeeps :D

Are you using the cable actuator or air? Any issues?

UncleBud

So what I'm getting from this is heavy jeeps plus sticky rocks equals bad news with 38s to 40s correct? I'm a little out of place here because I have an early bronco but I've been checking out all the jeep forums because I'm putting a jk dana 44 front axle in my bronco. How much meat is left on the pinion with the dana 44 with 5.13s? I'm running quite a bit more power than a typical jeep and actually have really light weight rig. I'm in Louisiana so all I deal with is mud and will be using my bronco to drag along a little lifted 8ft equipment trailer through job sights to maintenance my excavator and have a little fun at the beach.

BaddestCross

So what I'm getting from this is heavy jeeps plus sticky rocks equals bad news with 38s to 40s correct? I'm a little out of place here because I have an early bronco but I've been checking out all the jeep forums because I'm putting a jk dana 44 front axle in my bronco. How much meat is left on the pinion with the dana 44 with 5.13s? I'm running quite a bit more power than a typical jeep and actually have really light weight rig. I'm in Louisiana so all I deal with is mud and will be using my bronco to drag along a little lifted 8ft equipment trailer through job sights to maintenance my excavator and have a little fun at the beach.
5.13 is as low as you'll want to go on the D44, but if you've got more power and you plan on running 40s, you're gonna want to go with a D60 for sure, if not a D80, depending on what your setup is.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

UncleBud

5.13 is as low as you'll want to go on the D44, but if you've got more power and you plan on running 40s, you're gonna want to go with a D60 for sure, if not a D80, depending on what your setup is.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

In all honesty I was doing a dana 60/sterling 10.5 swap initially. Packaging was a nightmare in my bronco due to the extremely narrow frame. I sold off all my 1 ton stuff when I messed up the front axle housing. (Had to move the pumpkin more to passenger side and narrow at the same time). I miss measured and narrowed to much. I have no desire to do that over when I can build some y link arms and pretty much bolt up one of jk dana 44s. I honestly would rather run 37s but my bronco is already cut for 42s lol. Wont look to good lol

BaddestCross

In all honesty I was doing a dana 60/sterling 10.5 swap initially. Packaging was a nightmare in my bronco due to the extremely narrow frame. I sold off all my 1 ton stuff when I messed up the front axle housing. (Had to move the pumpkin more to passenger side and narrow at the same time). I miss measured and narrowed to much. I have no desire to do that over when I can build some y link arms and pretty much bolt up one of jk dana 44s. I honestly would rather run 37s but my bronco is already cut for 42s lol. Wont look to good lol
Get good at setting up gears then because you'll be doing it often. [emoji23]

--

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
That's what I needed to know thanks. Looks like I'll be doing 4.88s

Sorry for a d44, 5.13 isn’t too bad. But if you’re gonna be running 38s or 40s you might want a little more meat on there. Also 38s or 40s will put a ton of stress on a 44 in various areas, especially with more power. I’d probably go with a 60.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

fiend

Caught the Bug
The 44 can handle increased horsepower. They put them in corvettes, for example. The issue is going to be the pinion. I higher HP applications they’re using ratios like 3.08:1. Once you’re at 5.13, the pinion is smaller and the gear set weaker. Depending on your transmission and wheel size, you maybe can get away with a 4.56 or 4.88. The smaller the ratio the larger the pinion gear the stronger the gear set.

UncleBud

The 44 can handle increased horsepower. They put them in corvettes, for example. The issue is going to be the pinion. I higher HP applications they’re using ratios like 3.08:1. Once you’re at 5.13, the pinion is smaller and the gear set weaker. Depending on your transmission and wheel size, you maybe can get away with a 4.56 or 4.88. The smaller the ratio the larger the pinion gear the stronger the gear set.

I have a 35spline built 9" for the rear so honestly that's going to take 90% of the brunt. I just need the 4wd for when it gets slick.

UncleBud

Just to show I was being serious about the 60 swap. That was my initial goal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191012-122452_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191012-122452_Gallery.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom