JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

VerdiJeepLife

Gaia GPS on Ipad Pro in Jeep, Garmin InReach on MTB or hiking

I can't say enough good things about Gaia GPS. Not only can you have many layers on your maps, but you can share routes and waypoints with friends. I have the premium subscription which is $30/yr and it does everything you could want. I have a Garmin InReach that I use for hiking and I'm about to try the ONX hunting software since that shows what land is public vs private. Most cell phone going back to 2G have a GPS receiver in them, and can be used for GPS without service. I am also a subscriber to AllTrails.com which I mostly use to check trail reports to see if there is any intel on conditions, closings, etc. Hope this helps.

Noble Woodsman

I can't say enough good things about Gaia GPS. Not only can you have many layers on your maps, but you can share routes and waypoints with friends. I have the premium subscription which is $30/yr and it does everything you could want. I have a Garmin InReach that I use for hiking and I'm about to try the ONX hunting software since that shows what land is public vs private.

I have used ONX for backpacking and big game hunts, and I highly recommend it for this purpose. If you get cell reception on the trail, it also offers real time radar overlays for monitoring weather in the same views that shownyour waypoints. Topo maps, distance measurement tools, and public/private land boundaries are the best features of ONX IMHO. If you dont hunt every month of the year, you can save $$ by only getting the monthly subscription for the months when you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
One of the guys from our local club just bought the Magellan TRX 7 and used it last weekend for the first time when we went down to an offroad park in Missouri. Seems like a pretty nice unit. I guess time will tell. I have tried using my phone with the apps but seems I am always grabbing my phone for pictures also.

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
So I bit the bullet and purchased the Garmin Overlander GPS. Black Friday sale helped a little bit. Really liking it so far but haven't got into all the options yet. Downloaded a ton of GPX files and ready to go. I really like that it comes with a Ram Mount ball. I purchased the 67 Designs adapter so good to go.
IMG_1529.jpg

federally

I can't say enough good things about Gaia GPS. Not only can you have many layers on your maps, but you can share routes and waypoints with friends. I have the premium subscription which is $30/yr and it does everything you could want. I have a Garmin InReach that I use for hiking and I'm about to try the ONX hunting software since that shows what land is public vs private. Most cell phone going back to 2G have a GPS receiver in them, and can be used for GPS without service. I am also a subscriber to AllTrails.com which I mostly use to check trail reports to see if there is any intel on conditions, closings, etc. Hope this helps.

OnX also has an off roading App that is great. I've used it to explore the public lands out here that don't have official trails and it has kept me out of trouble!

wjtstudios

Hooked

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
That is pretty cool that it works with apple car play. Do you have to have an additional GPS receiver for it to work with out cell coverage?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Gaia allows you to download the maps to your phone. GPS still works outside of cell range. I was messing around with the JT on a 4 hour drive today. All transparency adjustments for map layers show up on the dash... pretty cool.

MericaMade

Thought it was pretty cool.

https://blog.gaiagps.com/gaia-gps-i...il&utm_campaign=february-newsletter-2-premium

It works! Pretty cool to have it on the dash. We’ll see how it works on my next trip out.

View attachment 342144

That's a cool update. I Iove Gaia and found tons of trails just web searching. The only part I don't like about the application is let's say you have 30 trails you want to upload, you have to do them individually or one at a time. Took me hours to load in about 100 trails.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Thought it was pretty cool.

https://blog.gaiagps.com/gaia-gps-i...il&utm_campaign=february-newsletter-2-premium

It works! Pretty cool to have it on the dash. We’ll see how it works on my next trip out.

View attachment 342144

Yep. I been using Gaia for a while now on my iPad and it works well. I was stoked to receive the blog info from them regarding CarPlay. Now I just need a head unit that supports CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say, as much as I love it, I'm also saddened to see everyone and their mother have such easy access to trail maps like the kind that Gaia provides. Nobody has to work for anything anymore and I'm always shocked to see just how much has changed out there and in such a short amount of time.

jdofmemi

I have to say, as much as I love it, I'm also saddened to see everyone and their mother have such easy access to trail maps like the kind that Gaia provides. Nobody has to work for anything anymore and I'm always shocked to see just how much has changed out there and in such a short amount of time.

Well said👍

For me, a big part of the fun is to be out exploring and see a path and just set out to see where it leads.

I'm still a guy that likes old paper maps.
Then again, most who have wheeled with me know I do things differently.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked

Good point. I can see how that would definitely be an issue on the mainland. Here in Hawaii (on my island anyway), the only downloadable routes that I can see are hikes within national parks. I mainly use it just to see where I’m at and how to get home when I’m out exploring.

MericaMade

Well said[emoji106]

For me, a big part of the fun is to be out exploring and see a path and just set out to see where it leads.

I'm still a guy that likes old paper maps.
Then again, most who have wheeled with me know I do things differently.
Gaia is nice and all but I can't tell you how many times we have referred back to a good old paper map!

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom