What are people using to paint their bumpers and fenders?

Do you think the linex would hold up on rock sliders? does anyone have experience with that? I have used it in pick up beds before and it is crazy durable but I am assuming that it would be tough for anything to hold up while it is being dragged across a boulder....

It is used to literally bomb / blast proof government buildings. If it gets damaged by dragging a rock, what do you think would be stronger?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

MericaMade

Do you think the linex would hold up on rock sliders? does anyone have experience with that? I have used it in pick up beds before and it is crazy durable but I am assuming that it would be tough for anything to hold up while it is being dragged across a boulder....
My buddy did it on his Evo sliders and hit one rock and the shit just peeled off. Now the person who did the Rhino liner could have done a shity job as well.

I use Krylon Fusion spray paint for everything. When you scratch it just hit with the piece of sandpaper and again with the spray paint and looks new again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

PokerStogey

I’ve been using this stuff to touch up my LOD sliders that came powder coated. It has been more durable than I expected.

I don’t know how well it would work on it’s own, without the powder coat base layer. I suppose it might be fine if you did proper preparation, scuffing up the surface and then using a few coats of self etching primer before putting on the bed liner coat.

View attachment 336023

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I originally had this on my PS aluminum flares... easy touch up but didnt care for the way it cleaned up after a dusty run. I have since re-sprayed them with Raptor Liner along with my grille and brawler bumper. Love this stuff... very easy to spray and seems to hold up very well. Just did my tire carrier last weekend. IMG_8448.jpg

JDUBYA420

It is used to literally bomb / blast proof government buildings. If it gets damaged by dragging a rock, what do you think would be stronger?

I didn’t think anything would be stronger. I am wondering if it is worth spraying professionally or doing it myself with a rattle can. If it will hold up I don’t mind spending the money to get it done. If it is going to come off on my first wheeling trip with them then it is a waste. Just trying to see if someone has first hand experience with that.

Is this going to be one of those forums where everyone try’s to make others feel stupid?

Thank you everyone else for your feedback please keep it coming.

MericaMade

I didn’t think anything would be stronger. I am wondering if it is worth spraying professionally or doing it myself with a rattle can. If it will hold up I don’t mind spending the money to get it done. If it is going to come off on my first wheeling trip with them then it is a waste. Just trying to see if someone has first hand experience with that.

Is this going to be one of those forums where everyone try’s to make others feel stupid?

Thank you everyone else for your feedback please keep it coming.

No, but your going to get real opinions from us who have different experiences with what you are trying to achieve.

I personally would never Rhino or Line-X bumpers or sliders because I dont like the Smitty Built texture look and dont feel it holds up, buts thats just me. Others have had experience with it being amazing so you need to pick through the pros and cons that we offer.

JDUBYA420

No, but your going to get real opinions from us who have different experiences with what you are trying to achieve.

I personally would never Rhino or Line-X bumpers or sliders because I dont like the Smitty Built texture look and dont feel it holds up, buts thats just me. Others have had experience with it being amazing so you need to pick through the pros and cons that we offer.

I appreciate real opinions and real experience that is why I’m here. Wouldn’t consider the comment I quoted earlier productive.

Anyway.

My experience with line x is when it is in a truck bed and you slide something metal or abrasive on it, it will come off. I would consider rocks and boulders abrasive.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Any paint is going to come off when sliders get scraped on rocks. Paint just isn’t tough enough to withstand that. Powder coating is much more resistant, but even that will get scraped off. You’re going to have to do touch ups, especially if you live in a wet climate. The rattle can approach makes touching up easy. But you should expect to do it with regularity, if you wheel.

Noble Woodsman

Not sure, but i imagine linex is about the best you could get. Everything else would probably scratch, flake, or chip away faster than linex.

Noble Woodsman

You can easily attain professional level application of bedliner in your driveway. Just have to do the prep work.

This is true except for the polyurethane (Rhinoliner) and polyurea (Line-X) bed liners. Professional shops usehigh pressure hot sprayers with a mixing nozzle for these chemistries, which DIYers do not have. The cures are more complete, anchorage to the metal is stronger, and the coat weights are about 10X thicker vs. the DIY kits.

JDUBYA420

Why on earth would you spend the money on line-x for something that is going to get destroyed on the rocks? That’s dumb.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Everything you put on is going to scratch, but if it holds up longer than a rattle can paint job, meaning the gouges and scratches turning into rust and flaking paint then it may be worth it. If it requires going back the the shop every few years to have the underside resprayed, the cost to do that isn’t much over spray painting a couple times per year.

Also, the cost to line-x a set of EVO rock sliders is about $100 to $150. Which if it holds up, isn’t that much.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Everything you put on is going to scratch, but if it holds up longer than a rattle can paint job, meaning the gouges and scratches turning into rust and flaking paint then it may be worth it. If it requires going back the the shop every few years to have the underside resprayed, the cost to do that isn’t much over spray painting a couple times per year.

Also, the cost to line-x a set of EVO rock sliders is about $100 to $150. Which if it holds up, isn’t that much.

Seems like you’ve sold yourself on line x. You should go with that.

BlacknRedJK

[emoji849]
Is that what I did?

Simply pointing out another side of the argument, and that the solution isn’t as simple as it’s “dumb”.

Dude get over this “other side argument,” you claim to preach. You’ve been told by several people that line-x isn’t worth the cost for something that will get beat to shit assuming you actually wheel, but you won’t hear it because line-x is the only word you know. We get it. You came here with a decision already made and now you can’t get over the real world experience telling you not to. Go spend your money, how you have wanted since before asking the question, on line-x

You seem to not be differentiating between line x, bed line, and rattle can. Line x is a product put on by professionals with professional weird heating spray equipment. You cannot do it at home.

You can do bed liner, rhino liner etc at home but it’s not the same thing as line x.
And yes, this is the internet.

JDUBYA420

Dude get over this “other side argument,” you claim to preach. You’ve been told by several people that line-x isn’t worth the cost for something that will get beat to shit assuming you actually wheel, but you won’t hear it because line-x is the only word you know. We get it. You came here with a decision already made and now you can’t get over the real world experience telling you not to. Go spend your money, how you have wanted since before asking the question, on line-x

Why are you so mad bro? Stop the violence...

I believe if you go back to my original question I was asking those who had line x on these parts (i.e. rock sliders, bumpers) how it was holding up. Never asked if anyone thought it was dumb or if anyone wanted to debate which was better...

Top Bottom