Rock Hard Skids - Poor Design!

jesse3638

Hooked
This time. But doubt it would be able to do it again.
So it did it’s job. Why would it not do it next time? Does it have a hole in it exposing something?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Won't have to because it was hanging too low and he clearanced it. That curvature should also help the jeep slide off of stuff...:crazyeyes:

I guess this is the type of person Mel was talking about in Part-2.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
My Rock hard skid bent up in the middle... was touching the exhaust... so I shimmed it a little. No more Rattle... and now I have more clearance Clarence. And it’s still protecting what it needs to. Win Win.

rubiDave

My Rock hard skid bent up in the middle... was touching the exhaust... so I shimmed it a little. No more Rattle... and now I have more clearance Clarence. And it’s still protecting what it needs to. Win Win.
Have you hit it since you shimmed it? I shimmed mine too to eliminate the rattle. Next trip it took a hit and the shim smashed into the cross member exactly the the thickness of the shim. The exhaust tube rattle is back. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JJ151

I feel I need to touch on this a little... Not once did I ask for a refund or free replacement product.

Only thing I asked for was for them to "do better".

Design change... Metal change... Product update... New HD Extreme version that costs double. Whatever. I am even willing to help if I can.

I think that would benefit us all in the end. One less thing to worry about at the end of the trail.

Thanks for the post. I personally appreciate when members post both what works and what doesn’t. As I look to upgrade my skid plates from the stock JKUR skids. Like you, I would have expected more from a purported quality aftermarket product. Are there any other brands members have tried that can provide additional feedback? Maybe I’ll find another factory set of skids at the junk yard when mine get too bashed up and save some coin for other mods.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Like you, I would have expected more from a purported quality aftermarket product.

There's nothing "purported" about the quality of either EVO or Rock Hard's skid plates. One member on the forum complained about his skids getting bent vs. virtually everyone else saying, "yep, that happens when you bash them. Take better lines". Skids are there to sacrifice themselves in place of more vital and expensive parts if you hit them. Bhaners did just exactly that.

These are a wear part. And if they made them out of thicker steel they'd end up weighing too much. Maybe you will have to replace them someday if you are lucky enough to wear a set of these skids out. :idontknow:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It's not just about weight. Hell, you could make a 2" thick belly pan that goes frame rail to frame rail if you are willing to give up 2" of ground clearance. Skids plates are about compromise. How much clearance are you willing to sacrifice (and weight are you willing to gain) to provide what level of protection?

While I'm sure a hefty quadruple-ply garbage bag would provide better protection...there is a reason people buy rubbers.

I’m confused. I am nowhere near the level of the members on here, but it seems like it did its job? I mean shit that banging on essential parts would have fucked you over a lot more.

Also you admitted you were going to copy a companies product on here, may want to think about saying that on a public forum.

Also everyone keep their eye out for my upcoming Jet Li T-shirt’s.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Have you hit it since you shimmed it? I shimmed mine too to eliminate the rattle. Next trip it took a hit and the shim smashed into the cross member exactly the the thickness of the shim. The exhaust tube rattle is back. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Not exactly sure where its been hit since then... but its been hit for sure... Still good so far... and if makes contact again, I’ll bang it all out and start over.

While I'm sure a hefty quadruple-ply garbage bag would provide better protection...there is a reason people buy rubbers.

Lol!! [emoji23]

Zstairlessone

Unfortunately I think your going to be disappointed with pretty much every skid plate option there is. I bent mine just goofing around last weekend flex testing. It didn't feel like a hard hit at all but I bent the oil pan trans skid enough to split the seem on the passenger side where it angles in. I just got a big ass pry bar a hammer and bent it back enough to weld up the split. I think the bending soaked up the hit so I too was surprised how much it was bent. It's just part of the game. Wait until it touches the exhaust and rattles. It will drive you nuts!

Maybe he can get a 3/4” AR 500 plate made, might last a little longer

Am I the only one here going to offer a solution? No more worrying about them. No more rattles. No more having to touch them up with paint. No more shimming or bending back.

I’ll give you 50 bucks for all your skids.

A.J.

That seriously drives me nuts. Plus haven’t had time to get around to adjusting it [emoji35]

I've had good luck with a real big long pry bar and a big hammer on the trail. If you can catch the corner near the crossmember with the pry bar and then hit the plate right right under the crossmember while prying. It's kind of a two person job but it works pretty good.

Top Bottom