Best half door and soft upper option?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the replies. I saw a local guy selling a set of oem half doors in good shape besides a ding on the drivers side. I would have to paint them as well. What are they worth? Also would the factory auto locks still work from the key fobs?

The half doors can have electric locks that work with the key fobs. You’ll need the associated wire harnesses for the doors. Ask the seller if the doors have power locks. If they don’t you will need to buy the parts, which aren’t cheap. You will also need to have the plugs on your Jeep, which you will have if your full doors had power locks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I threw mine on last week when the snow was just starting to melt. Trying to "will" some warmer weather. The RR doors are pretty decent for the price, but I am on the hunt for some OEM. I didn't do the velcro and they flap pretty bad on the freeway.

half.jpg

Last edited:

JK_0311

I have the Bestop Coredoors, I like them. Got them on sale and spent less than $2k for the front and rear. If you want black diamond uppers you have to order the mopar oem uppers, cost about $800. I sold my full doors for $1k.

The front doors are angled wonky, which causes the uppers to seal right. I just got off the phone with Bestop and they are sending out new ones. Overall, I like them better than other half door options, besides the mopar half doors of course.

IMG_2538.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have the Bestop Coredoors, I like them. Got them on sale and spent less than $2k for the front and rear. If you want black diamond uppers you have to order the mopar oem uppers, cost about $800. I sold my full doors for $1k.

The front doors are angled wonky, which causes the uppers to seal right. I just got off the phone with Bestop and they are sending out new ones. Overall, I like them better than other half door options, besides the mopar half doors of course.

View attachment 359732

Is there a gap between the doors and the middle plate? Does it fill up with crud? Leak water?

JK_0311

Is there a gap between the doors and the middle plate? Does it fill up with crud? Leak water?

I don’t see a gap or light coming through. I haven’t seen it fill up with crud or water but I also haven’t done any serious water crossings with them.

I’m not home so can’t snap a picture. The middle plate has a weather stripping around it.

treys1

Does anyone have the full listing of the parts with numbers needed to build the OEM half doors complete for a JKU?

As in doors, inner panels, uppers, the wiring harness and whatever is needed for the power locks to work (if that is even a thing?). Thing is, I don't know if that is still missing stuff like bolts / screws / hinges / handles / etc. and I figured someone on here has probably worked up the full list before.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HoosierWolf

I've been away for a while. Just busy. Anyway, I came here looking for half door advice. I'd been considering Sage Off Road but I'm not sure they are even still in business. Rugged Ridge is now the leading option unless I can find some factory half doors that don't perform prison loving on my wallet.

Eddie, I know you run Rugged Ridge on Moby and I think run their uppers. How do the uppers match with your soft top and what soft top are you running on Moby?

We are thinking of eventually moving to FL and that move may come with me selling my full doors and using half doors year round so I'm trying to make an educated guess.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been away for a while. Just busy. Anyway, I came here looking for half door advice. I'd been considering Sage Off Road but I'm not sure they are even still in business. Rugged Ridge is now the leading option unless I can find some factory half doors that don't perform prison loving on my wallet.

Eddie, I know you run Rugged Ridge on Moby and I think run their uppers. How do the uppers match with your soft top and what soft top are you running on Moby?

We are thinking of eventually moving to FL and that move may come with me selling my full doors and using half doors year round so I'm trying to make an educated guess.

Yes, Moby is running Rugged Ridge half doors with their soft uppers. The uppers are made out of the black diamond sail cloth fabric that comes standard on soft tops and what Bestop uses as a standard option as well. We ran it these uppers with a Bestop Trektop for years and it was a perfect match. We are now running the Rugged Ridge bowless top and it's still a perfect match.

So that it's clear, the uppers will NOT match a soft top made out of the premium twill fabric.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion, find a set of OEM. They really are they much better.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Without question, OEM doors are outstanding. The reason we didn't go with them is because they are heavier and it would kill me to damage them being that they're so expensive. We've smashed into rocks with our Rugged Ridge doors and being that they're plastic, they've held up great. Of course, they're way cheaper too.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Without question, OEM doors are outstanding. The reason we didn't go with them is because they are heavier and it would kill me to damage them being that they're so expensive. We've smashed into rocks with our Rugged Ridge doors and being that they're plastic, they've held up great. Of course, they're way cheaper too.

Agreed, that is a big advantage of the RRs. My brother in law runs them and they did paint up great. And a bit cheaper too

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, that is a big advantage of the RRs. My brother in law runs them and they did paint up great. And a bit cheaper too

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

This is not to say that we wouldn't have ordered half doors from the factory for our JL had they been available at the time. :crazyeyes:

fiend

Caught the Bug

I can’t speak to rugged ridge doors but I do have the mopar half doors and uppers. They are great for where I live (SoCal) but I would have reservations with them in a place that gets a lot of rain unless I had a garage in which to park the Jeep. They do not seal against the elements as well as full doors.

Top Bottom