37s on a Gladiator Rubicon with 6spd manual

twopullupeddie

I have a manual JTR. Was wondering the same thing about running 37s on it. Guess I will just use the gasser as a place holder until the diesels come out.

@Wayoflife , can you point me to a resource where I can get more info about the process of setting the manual up with larger tires? If its too painful, I may just run the manual stock until I can get my hands on a diesel. Its winter in Ohio. Not a whole lot of off roading unless I want to play in mud. At least as far as I know.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I have a manual JTR. Was wondering the same thing about running 37s on it. Guess I will just use the gasser as a place holder until the diesels come out.

@Wayoflife , can you point me to a resource where I can get more info about the process of setting the manual up with larger tires? If its too painful, I may just run the manual stock until I can get my hands on a diesel. Its winter in Ohio. Not a whole lot of off roading unless I want to play in mud. At least as far as I know.

You’d have to re-gear to at least 4.88s to get the performance back.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bonedoc

Well I heard back from my sales manager this am. He was told by his Chrysler rep that once a vin has been issued the order cannot be changed. I told him that while I understand your policies I think you need to understand that this truck is NOT in production yet. We are talking about changing paperwork and codes...nothing more. That my quandary is I'm purchasing a 50+K vehicle that isn't exactly what I wanted. My last thing to him was I suggest he go back to his rep and press harder because if they think a $500.00 deposit is going to tie me to a 50+K vehicle...they are wrong. And he will end up with it on his lot. I told him that I will be happy to talk to the rep myself.
His last words were that he will reach back out to the rep and let me know what he finds out.

My feeling is that they will likely not get anything changed. I guess regearing will be in future...sooner rather than later. I know I'll love the manual, and I've never drove the auto, but hearing what everyone has had to say it sounds like I would be doing myself a huge injustice. I find though that I feel tremendously guilty at the thought of walking away from an order I asked them to put in for me.

Last edited:
I find thought that I feel tremendously guilt at the thought of walking away from an order I asked them to put in for me.
Yeah, no. They’ll sell it. Don’t feel bad in the least. Being a manual in 2020 with most the population unable to drive one it might sit long enough to get a good discount on it too.

A.J.

Well I heard back from my sales manager this am. He was told by his Chrysler rep that once a vin has been issued the order cannot be changed. I told him that while I understand your policies I think you need to understand that this truck is NOT in production yet. We are talking about changing paperwork and codes...nothing more. That my quandary is I'm purchasing a 50+K vehicle that isn't exactly what I wanted. My last thing to him was I suggest he go back to his rep and press harder because if they think a $500.00 deposit is going to tie me to a 50+K vehicle...they are wrong. And he will end up with it on his lot. I told him that I will be happy to talk to the rep myself.
His last words were that he will reach back out to the rep and let me know what he finds out.

My feeling is that they will likely not get anything changed. I guess regearing will be in future...sooner rather than later. I know I'll love the manual, and I've never drove the auto, but hearing what everyone has had to say it sounds like I would be doing myself a huge injustice. I find thought that I feel tremendously guilt at the thought of walking away from an order I asked them to put in for me.

Bullshit. You are the customer. Keep going up the chain of command. Obviously asking nicely isn’t working. Time to start being a prick. It’s your money.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Between their profit plus hold back on a new vehicle, I’d have no remorse leaving them with the truck if they don’t change the order. They don’t know or care enough to fix this for you.

WJCO

Meme King
I find though that I feel tremendously guilty at the thought of walking away from an order I asked them to put in for me.

Between their profit plus hold back on a new vehicle, I’d have no remorse leaving them with the truck if they don’t change the order. They don’t know or care enough to fix this for you.

People walk away from orders all the time when they come in. I used to see it a lot at the dealer. Could be financing, changed their mind, had medical issues, change of heart, who knows...

Bullshit. You are the customer. Keep going up the chain of command. Obviously asking nicely isn’t working. Time to start being a prick. It’s your money.

When I ordered my JT, the sales team told me very clearly that I had 24 hours to make changes and that's it. Between the afternoon I ordered it and the following morning, I received three reminders from them that any changes had to be done then and after that I could not make any changes. They seemed really diligent about making me aware of that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Here are the instructions you will need.

EED431E1-39F2-4F65-9959-783C994B4506.jpg

bonedoc

Still waiting to hear back from the sales manager. I spoke to another dealership as I was looking for some pricing leverage. Told them my situation and without batting an eye she said "I would just order you another truck".
I was like "Really". She said absolutely. I rather order you a new truck and keep your business than have you back out of the order and go somewhere else. She also told me not to feel guilt about it. It happens a lot more frequently than you would think.

So at this time I figure I'll call the sales manger before days end and see what the outcome is. If it isn't in my favor then I'll tell him I guess we order another truck and go that route. Will work to my benefit because Jeep has lifted the safety group requirement that was on when I ordered my JT.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Still waiting to hear back from the sales manager. I spoke to another dealership as I was looking for some pricing leverage. Told them my situation and without batting an eye she said "I would just order you another truck".
I was like "Really". She said absolutely. I rather order you a new truck and keep your business than have you back out of the order and go somewhere else. She also told me not to feel guilt about it. It happens a lot more frequently than you would think.

So at this time I figure I'll call the sales manger before days end and see what the outcome is. If it isn't in my favor then I'll tell him I guess we order another truck and go that route. Will work to my benefit because Jeep has lifted the safety group requirement that was on when I ordered my JT.

Glad to hear you went to see another dealership. The whole thing with your current one sounds really stupid. If they really want your business, they'll work for you.

bonedoc

Here are the instructions you will need.

View attachment 338636

Is this the only electrical/computer issue with the manual? I have a Tazer JL and that has a manual trans 'fix' and sounds similar to this.

Unfortunately from what others have said this will only fix the electrical issues and won't offset the fact that the JTs manual trans is geared way to tall and it will still need a regear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is this the only electrical/computer issue with the manual? I have a Tazer JL and that has a manual trans 'fix' and sounds similar to this.

Unfortunately from what others have said this will only fix the electrical issues and won't offset the fact that the JTs manual trans is geared way to tall and it will still need a regear.

That I know of, yes. If you have a Tazer, I would imagine that might help address it. But, as you pointed out, that's all it would fix. The gearing would still be off.

Jk Jeep Geek

This thread was a good read. Thanks for posting everyone!

A good read but this whole thread makes me sad. I have two JK’s (both manuals) and my wife has a JLU 8 speed auto. I admit her auto has a bit more pep which I attribute to the turbo, but to me a bit more pep is still less enjoyable to drive than my manuals. The idea that manual jeeps may go to the wayside is truly upsetting. Having a manual transmission in a Jeep has always part of owning a Jeep in my eyes

highoctane

Caught the Bug
A good read but this whole thread makes me sad. I have two JK’s (both manuals) and my wife has a JLU 8 speed auto. I admit her auto has a bit more pep which I attribute to the turbo, but to me a bit more pep is still less enjoyable to drive than my manuals. The idea that manual jeeps may go to the wayside is truly upsetting. Having a manual transmission in a Jeep has always part of owning a Jeep in my eyes

The problem is the days where the manual had a good advantage over the auto trans in the same vehicle are pretty much gone. When the JK first came out the auto was a pretty shitty 4 speed with wide ratios. The 6 speed manual offered closer ratios and kept the engine closer to it's power band. The 5 speed auto in the '12 -'18 JK closed that advantage and made the two more even. With the JL and it's 8 speed, the auto trans has a clear advantage. If a 7 speed or 8 speed manual was an option it could possibly bring that advantage back to the manual transmission, or at least make the manual not so much of a disadvantage.

Jk Jeep Geek

Exactly what highoctane said. Times have changed.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yes times have changed but the real problem is why. In my opinion the answer is because as jeeps became more popular society just kept getting lazier. The idea of actually having to shift a vehicle between gears ourselves just sounds like too much work to people now a days. Not just in jeeps but In almost every vehicle. Jeeps are one of the few vehicles that still offer a manual at all. Chrysler shifted the more appealing gear ratios to the automatic for this reason. The way we are heading as a society it won’t be long before all we do is get in our jeeps, punch in a destination, and lay back and take a nap until we get there

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yes times have changed but the real problem is why. In my opinion the answer is because as jeeps became more popular society just kept getting lazier. The idea of actually having to shift a vehicle between gears ourselves just sounds like to much work to people now a days. Not just in jeeps but In almost every vehicle. Jeeps are one of the few vehicles that still offer a manual at all. Chrysler shifted the more appealing gear ratios to the automatic for this reason. The way we are heading as a society it won’t be long before all we do is get in our jeeps, punch in a destination, and lay back and take a nap until we get there

I’ve run a Manuel CJ most of my life. But when it comes to running built Jeep up steep ledges, the last thing I was to be worrying about is working the clutch or trying to maintain RPMs at a bad angle. I know a couple guys that are artists of going that (Weebz, Nbunga, fury), but I’ve come across more people that have put me or others in danger by not. The autos in the JKs and JLs, for what we use them for, I think have made things safer out in the trails. Just my opinion though.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I honestly would not give up my manual JK, especially with the limited advantages it does have. But with the JL or JT, I agree the auto has a a better advantage now. Definitely would not order a manual in either.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jk Jeep Geek

I’ve run a Manuel CJ most of my life. But when it comes to running built Jeep up steep ledges, the last thing I was to be worrying about is working the clutch or trying to maintain RPMs at a bad angle. I know a couple guys that are artists of going that (Weebz, Nbunga, fury), but I’ve come across more people that have put me or others in danger by not. The autos in the JKs and JLs, for what we use them for, I think have made things safer out in the trails. Just my opinion though.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I’d agree with that aspect. I bought my first Jeep in 1996. I’ve lived in md all my life. Back then I could go a couple days without seeing a fellow Jeep owner. Now I cant drive 15 mins up the road without seeing 10. I’d be pretty surprised if even one out of those 10 were or ever will be put in the situation you are describing. Like I said, I agree that in the situation you are describing an auto could definitely be better but still stand by my feeling that the gear ratios leaning towards the autos now is that most jeeps are used as a dd and people just don’t wanna bother with shifting. Either way it would be nice for all the Jeep enthusiasts out there to have the same power available no matter which transmission they prefer to drive

Top Bottom