Trailer build

Webe

Nice welds. I like the idea of the telescoping tongue. The trailer looks beefy enough to haul all the Jeep parts for everyone in the run.

dytrdr5

Thanks guys, I did overbuilt it a bit. It has 1/4 inch shackle mounts and leaf spring brackets, plus I didn’t show you guys that every crossmember is gusseted. A42D9A5C-40A3-4020-A55A-348F30EED2C6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Abntroop

Thanks guys, I did overbuilt it a bit. It has 1/4 inch shackle mounts and leaf spring brackets, plus I didn’t show you guys that every crossmember is gusseted. View attachment 324836

Sent from my iPhone

Nice!!! Consider dumping the leaf springs and check out timbren independent. Makes the trailer so much more pleasant to pull regardless of loaded or unloaded. That build is nice enough to warrant it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dytrdr5

Nice!!! Consider dumping the leaf springs and check out timbren independent. Makes the trailer so much more pleasant to pull regardless of loaded or unloaded. That build is nice enough to warrant it.

I thought about doing that but I didn’t go that route for a couple of reasons

1. Leaf springs and solid axles are super simple and spare parts can be sourced just about anywhere.
2. Cost, the timbrens are pretty expensive compared to leaf springs
3. The trailer rides very nice because it’s not riding on 3500 lb trailer leaf springs, it’s riding on 2.5 lift heavy YJ leaf springs. These things are 48 inches long and are the perfect spring rate for an overlanding trailer. It doesn’t hop or skip down the road and just absorbs bumps really well but have the capacity of not being easily overloaded.

Thank you for the kind words on the build

Abntroop

I thought about doing that but I didn’t go that route for a couple of reasons

1. Leaf springs and solid axles are super simple and spare parts can be sourced just about anywhere.
2. Cost, the timbrens are pretty expensive compared to leaf springs
3. The trailer rides very nice because it’s not riding on 3500 lb trailer leaf springs, it’s riding on 2.5 lift heavy YJ leaf springs. These things are 48 inches long and are the perfect spring rate for an overlanding trailer. It doesn’t hop or skip down the road and just absorbs bumps really well but have the capacity of not being easily overloaded.

Thank you for the kind words on the build

Right on! Good to know. All the builds I’ve seen and the complaints involve the bounce from the 3500 lb springs, I know the ones that were originally on my bantam were terrible as well for that. I assumed that’d be the case across the board symptomatic of leaf springs in general. Would love to see yours in action. [emoji1303] learn something new every day!

dytrdr5

Right on! Good to know. All the builds I’ve seen and the complaints involve the bounce from the 3500 lb springs, I know the ones that were originally on my bantam were terrible as well for that. I assumed that’d be the case across the board symptomatic of leaf springs in general. Would love to see yours in action. [emoji1303] learn something new every day!

That’s the exact same thing I heard about the 3500 lb leaf springs, they are way too stiff for a 1200 lb trailer loaded and on top of that they are only 25 inches long, so they don’t flex very well. They are just not a good option for an off-road trailer. People use them because they are $40 for a pair instead of $200-$300 for YJ or Tacoma leaf springs. I also cut the leaf spring tabs off of the axle and replaced them with Barnes 4 wheel drive 1/4 inch thick bracket and fully welded them inside and out. 2D21F4EE-781E-4904-8B50-ADA34977B7AB.jpg D378A894-38ED-4285-8E8A-A81D6CF99A80.jpg

Abntroop

Rad! [emoji1303] that looks good
The Timbrens I added ride so well. I figure the trailer is so far under the weight spec they should last a long time. Been several years now and they seem to be holding up well. Will be curious to see how they do in another few years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom