PO6DD code need some help please

jscribn1

I need some help! I'm getting the PO6DD code on my 2012 3.6l which is the oil pressure code for the 2 stage oil pump. I can clear the code and go almost a day before it comes back and limits me to 3500 RPM or less. I have searched the internet and this site and need to see who has had this issue and the fix? I have purchased a MOPAR oil filter as suggested and the engine oil level is perfect. I'm reading it can be the filter, pressure sensor, the oil pump or the O ring on the oil pickup tube in the pan. I was thinking about doing the sensor first as it's the cheapest part although the labor is over $200 due to the location of the sensor under the intake! Poor design for a part that may need replaced at some point. If the sensor doesn't work then what? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated as I have a trip planned for Sedona in early January. Thank you

rmilobrown

Have you pulled the oil filter yet to look at it and the bypass value in the housing? The plastic bypass valve can break off and cause this problem. If it's not lack of oil, clogged filter or broken bypass, then oil cooler/ filter housing which also has the pressure sensor on it is next. After the cooler, oil pump is next for P06DD. The oil cooler can be done with basic tools in a day, change your plugs while you're there. If you can read your actual running oil pressure, this would be helpful to troubleshoot a bad oil pump. In the 2500 RPM range, oil press about 62 PSI. 4000 range, around 80 PSI. If the pressure doesn't jump up every time it could be your two stage oil pump. Let us know what you find!

^^^this^^^ I first had this same issue earlier this year and for me it was the sensor. Good luck with the gremlin. Keep us posted.

jscribn1

My mechanic suggested replacing just the oil pressure sensor. Do you guys suggest doing the entire filter assembly since he’s already in there? And since that replaces the sensor and pressure switch.
If I decide to do myself how technical is it? I’m nervous about fuel lines and intake gaskets. Thanks for the help.

My mechanic suggested replacing just the oil pressure sensor. Do you guys suggest doing the entire filter assembly since he’s already in there? And since that replaces the sensor and pressure switch.
If I decide to do myself how technical is it? I’m nervous about fuel lines and intake gaskets. Thanks for the help.

I would just replace the entire unit since you’re in there. Also as mentioned above, get the gaskets for the intake and do your spark plugs. You have to pull the intake to do the plugs down the road anyway.

jscribn1

What about DIY? I’m fairly mechanically inclined or should I leave this one to a professional ?

What about DIY? I’m fairly mechanically inclined or should I leave this one to a professional ?

It’s really not bad. There is a great write up on here about it that was posted not too long ago. I would follow that to the letter and you’ll be fine. Just make sure you’ve got all your parts before hand and take your time.

jscribn1

I found the write up. It’s really detailed, thank you. I got a flashlight and got a good look under the intake and there’s no oil in the valley so I don’t think it’s leaking. I’m still uneasy about doing it myself, nervous about the intake with gaskets etc.... I’ve never tackled a repair like this and don’t want to tear it apart and have to take it in. I’m sure that would cost me even more. Thanks for all the help and advice. Just not sure which way I’m gonna go yet.

I found the write up. It’s really detailed, thank you. I got a flashlight and got a good look under the intake and there’s no oil in the valley so I don’t think it’s leaking. I’m still uneasy about doing it myself, nervous about the intake with gaskets etc.... I’ve never tackled a repair like this and don’t want to tear it apart and have to take it in. I’m sure that would cost me even more. Thanks for all the help and advice. Just not sure which way I’m gonna go yet.

When in doubt take it in. Let’s the dealership handle it so at least you’ll know its spot on. Yeah it will cost a bit more, but piece of mind is worth a few extra bucks. I’d call around and see who has the best labor rates. Doesn’t have to be a dealer, just make sure they know jeeps and have a good reputation. Good luck!

jscribn1

I think I'm just going to take it and have it diagnosed and repaired. I'll keep you all posted as to what I find and repair. Thanks for the advice

jscribn1

Got it to my mechanic today. He pulled the intake off and the filter housing was not leaking at all. The valley was dry as a bone. He replaced the pressure sensor with a new Mopar one. He told me it looks like a completely different design so we're hoping it's an upgraded one that will last more thank 58k. He scanned it to read oil pressures, oil temps, and coolant temps and all checked out. He road tested it and no CEL. I'll pick her up tomorrow and see how she does. Thanks again for all the replies and advice.
Justin

Got it to my mechanic today. He pulled the intake off and the filter housing was not leaking at all. The valley was dry as a bone. He replaced the pressure sensor with a new Mopar one. He told me it looks like a completely different design so we're hoping it's an upgraded one that will last more thank 58k. He scanned it to read oil pressures, oil temps, and coolant temps and all checked out. He road tested it and no CEL. I'll pick her up tomorrow and see how she does. Thanks again for all the replies and advice.
Justin

Awesome to hear it wasn’t something worse. Good luck going forward!

jscribn1

Well SHIT! Back to the drawing board. The wife picked it up and 5 minutes later yep...... CEL PO6DD! My mechanic ran the scan tool and everything shows good. He said the light is set to kick on at 6psi oil pressure. He said it's not dropping past 31 psi on his scanner. He did find the air inlet sensor was showing 168 degrees. he's gonna change that since the computer takes into account oil temp, coolant temp, PSI etc... I'm not hopeful that's it. It just doesn't seem like a mechanical issue like the oil pump since it's so hit and miss. He's going to check the wiring harness to ensure no grounded wires etc.... Any other suggestions on what's next? If we follow the Jeep TSB the oil pump is next. Thanks
Justin

rmilobrown

I agree, Don't think it's the oil pump. Bad wire is possible. Are you running a Flashcal or something for tire size correction? I think it's possible that some Jeeps can be a little glitchey running these. Easy enough to reset to stock for a while and see if it goes away.

jscribn1

I agree, Don't think it's the oil pump. Bad wire is possible. Are you running a Flashcal or something for tire size correction? I think it's possible that some Jeeps can be a little glitchey running these. Easy enough to reset to stock for a while and see if it goes away.

I’m running the AEV Procal. I didn’t think about that. I read something last night that recommended the PCM be reprogrammed? Is that something only a dealer can do? I’m trying to avoid the dealer as I’m not real trusting of them and their prices are ridiculous. My mechanic is awesome he just hasn’t worked on many Jeeps especially with this specific issue.

rmilobrown

That is what I'm getting at. If you reset your Procal to factory settings, you are reprogramming the PCM. Worth a shot!

jscribn1

We did some more research and there is a solenoid in the pump. That's the part that goes bad I guess. Not the actual mechanical part of the pump. Unfortunately you need to pull the pump to get to it. i found a replacement solenoid but I'm going to replace the pump which comes with the new solenoid. I'm going with a Melling pump as they make good products and I don't trust the Mopar shit since it already went out at 58k. About a $500 job at my mechanic so I'll post up next week when we get it all done. Fingers crossed!!

jscribn1

Finally got her back. We replaced the pump and solenoid. So far so good, we are going out Sunday for run so I'll put some miles on it to see. Thanks for the replies along the way, hope this helps someone else later down the road.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Finally got her back. We replaced the pump and solenoid. So far so good, we are going out Sunday for run so I'll put some miles on it to see. Thanks for the replies along the way, hope this helps someone else later down the road.

Everything still good so far? I just had this code pop up. Did an oil change and it cleared. Drive it a little bit and it’s fine. We’ll see if it comes up. Heard it’s pretty much trial and error with this code. My oil filter assembly was replaced last year this time of year. Would of been nice if they replaced the sensor. 🤷🏻*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom