Oil catch can 3.6

maskale

I bought 3 new vehicles in two years. A 16 Mustang GT, 16 JK, and a 17 Civic with a 1.5l turbo.

When I got the mustang the whole catch can thing was new to me. Sure I wanted to keep my intake clean so I went for it. I got about 2oz every 10K miles.

Then the JK, never considered getting one for it.

Then the Civic I got one for it also, about 1oz every 10K miles.

Do you need one, nah I don't think so. Will it catch oil, yes. Will it catch all of it, I doubt it. Will your intake be cleaner with one, yes, maybe.

If you got the $100+ to buy one go for it. If not don't worry about it.

There weren't oil catch cans on older engines because they weren't "needed". Older engines had the crank vent right on the valve cover or had down draft tubes. Newer direct injection engines are running higher compression and therefore potentially have more blow by. Now instead of crankcases maybe be having a little pressure on them they are under a vacuum now, so now probably more oil is leaving the crank case then would have other wise in the first place.

A.J.

I had a catch can on my race car. Sloppy mechanical injection with a turbo. I do not have one on my Jeep. Really seems completely unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MacRubi2

E
Just buy it. Your mind is made up. Or are you trying to justify your purchase?

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok settle down.... all I did was ask a simple question about a part for a Jeep and just because I told you all that I watched a feaken video which everyone knows which particular JL the vid was talking about you just assumed that I was running out to buy the part. NOT!!!!!

Isn’t it the reason this forum exists..... to talk about Jeeps?

Thanks to everyone for your answers and NO I’m not going to buy one.

I’m not the guy that goes out and buy’s shit just because I watched a video saying it’s the best thing since sliced bread

Last edited:
It’s designed to vent into the intake, like that’s what it does, that’s its job. Oil catch cans are great for other highly modified builds with issues with blowby etc, not a stock Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

CalSgt

Hooked
There weren't oil catch cans on older engines because they weren't "needed". Older engines had the crank vent right on the valve cover or had down draft tubes. Newer direct injection engines are running higher compression and therefore potentially have more blow by. Now instead of crankcases maybe be having a little pressure on them they are under a vacuum now, so now probably more oil is leaving the crank case then would have other wise in the first place.

Newer engines (since the early 60's or so) vent the crankcase into the intake to reduce emissions... Nothing to do with high compression.

same reason new gas tank evap lines are hooked to the intake/charcoal canister... same reason you can't get a gas can that is worth a shit in CA... Same reason your car gets a CEL if the gas cap is loose.

Top Bottom