Experinces with Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's been probably 20K miles but was in then. I will check and see where it's at.

Anything more than 1/8" in will cause your tires to wear a lot faster. Toe out is even worse. Problem is, you won't really notice anything off especially if you're rotating your tires - they'll just wear away.

Holy crap to those posts above! That is insane life left—mine are literally gone. How often are you rotating?

IMG_1573.jpg

Yours appear to be over inflated by the way they wore in the middle more than the sides. What PSI do you run?

aermotor

Anything more than 1/8" in will cause your tires to wear a lot faster. Toe out is even worse. Problem is, you won't really notice anything off especially if you're rotating your tires - they'll just wear away.

Yea that is what I set it to, will check and see if it's way off or not.

Yours appear to be over inflated by the way they wore in the middle more than the sides. What PSI do you run?

Usually 28 or less. The tire has crown across the entire circumference, I don't know how it would wear even all the way to the lugs on the edges.

aermotor

Yea I do understand, I just don't think my tires are overinflated. I've seen this at end of life on many mud terrains, these ones are just particularly bad.

Ddays

Hooked
These are mine at 50-55k. I can't remember the exact mileage but its over three years for this set now. I've run them at 26 psi pretty consistently that whole time. Have 1/2" tread left all the way across.

tire 1.jpg

On a side note, while taking that picture I noticed this nail/screw in my damn tire. :mad:

nail.jpg

aermotor

Damn, you must drive a lot, 18K/year. Those look amazing. How often are you rotating?

Either my toe is fucked or I got a horrible batch. Doesn't make sense.

RCVRY

These are mine at 50-55k. I can't remember the exact mileage but its over three years for this set now. I've run them at 26 psi pretty consistently that whole time. Have 1/2" tread left all the way across.

View attachment 329688

On a side note, while taking that picture I noticed this nail/screw in my damn tire. :mad:

View attachment 329689

That sucks. At least you didn’t find it the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Damn, you must drive a lot, 18K/year. Those look amazing. How often are you rotating?

Either my toe is fucked or I got a horrible batch. Doesn't make sense.

LOL, my '12 Durango just rolled over 255,000 miles and my '19 JL has 12,0000 on it since I picked it up in Feb. :crazyeyes:
Yes, I drive a lot.

I rotate every 5k miles.

That sucks. At least you didn’t find it the hard way.

True that. Gotta break out the plug kit.

Dang! Do you even touch the gas pedal?

LOL, I think in Jeeps with big tires they're referred to as "suggestion pedals"

Braxtonsag

I love the traction my STT PROs provide but damn at the stage they're at in life they scream going down the road, especially when you hit that sweet spot in the road where the lugs are just smacking the pavement. Driving with the doors off is almost painful. Kind of want to try Toyo next but don't know if I'm ready to switch being that i have 100% trust in the Coopers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I love the traction my STT PROs provide but damn at the stage they're at in life they scream going down the road, especially when you hit that sweet spot in the road where the lugs are just smacking the pavement. Driving with the doors off is almost painful. Kind of want to try Toyo next but don't know if I'm ready to switch being that i have 100% trust in the Coopers

Have you been rotating at every 3k? If not, that's what you should be doing and that'll help keep any MT a lot quieter.

That being said, Toyo MT's are quieter or at least, in my opinion and they have one of the strongest sidewall bar none. In fact, their load range E 37x13.50 is maybe the ONLY tire I've not seen a sidewall failure in the all the years I've been doing this. However, on the rocks, Cooper STT Pros hook up way better.

Braxtonsag

Have you been rotating at every 3k? If not, that's what you should be doing and that'll help keep any MT a lot quieter.

That being said, Toyo MT's are quieter or at least, in my opinion and they have one of the strongest sidewall bar none. In fact, their load range E 37x13.50 is maybe the ONLY tire I've not seen a sidewall failure in the all the years I've been doing this. However, on the rocks, Cooper STT Pros hook up way better.

The price difference is pretty big as well. I have to admit i have not been rotating them that often. I had my gearing done in the next state over and the shop forgot to give me my lug key back so i went 3 months (a lot of miles) and the fronts had gotten worn considerably in that time period before I finally found out I could hammer a socket onto the lugs and remove them. Those are now on the rear while I try to play catch up on the 2 that have more tread. Ill probably just stay with the Coopers. Will just have to be better about rotating them more often on the next set

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The price difference is pretty big as well. I have to admit i have not been rotating them that often. I had my gearing done in the next state over and the shop forgot to give me my lug key back so i went 3 months (a lot of miles) and the fronts had gotten worn considerably in that time period before I finally found out I could hammer a socket onto the lugs and remove them. Those are now on the rear while I try to play catch up on the 2 that have more tread. Ill probably just stay with the Coopers. Will just have to be better about rotating them more often on the next set

Going long between rotations will cause an MT to howl. If you can stick to frequent rotations, I can almost guarantee you that they'll stay a LOT quieter.

Also, make sure you don't have too much toe in set. I see a lot of guys who think they need a lot more toe in just because they're running bigger tires. Too much toe in will cause your tires to wear a lot faster.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Going long between rotations will cause an MT to howl. If you can stick to frequent rotations, I can almost guarantee you that they'll stay a LOT quieter.

Also, make sure you don't have too much toe in set. I see a lot of guys who think they need a lot more toe in just because they're running bigger tires. Too much toe in will cause your tires to wear a lot faster.

I deflated, re-torqued my rings, 5-wheel rotated and checked the toe in this weekend. I must be internet stupid today, cuz I cannot find the recommended toe in. As I sit now, im at 1/8" in. Is that acceptable?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I deflated, re-torqued my rings, 5-wheel rotated and checked the toe in this weekend. I must be internet stupid today, cuz I cannot find the recommended toe in. As I sit now, im at 1/8" in. Is that acceptable?

Personally, I prefer to go a bit less but 1/8" should be fine.

Top Bottom