Rear Brake Squeak - NEW Jeep

OneT

So my 2016 JKU has something odd going on with the rear brake. It may only be one side. First let me state the Jeep has only 6K miles on it. I notice when I begin to apply the brake (so light pressure) there is some sort of squeak I hear. Not your normal pad/rotor squeak, this is more like a *squeak squeak squeak*

Has a JKS 2.5" JSpec lift with the rear brake line drop brackets. Anyone have any ideas out there as to what could be occurring? Thanks!

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
So my 2016 JKU has something odd going on with the rear brake. It may only be one side. First let me state the Jeep has only 6K miles on it. I notice when I begin to apply the brake (so light pressure) there is some sort of squeak I hear. Not your normal pad/rotor squeak, this is more like a *squeak squeak squeak*

Has a JKS 2.5" JSpec lift with the rear brake line drop brackets. Anyone have any ideas out there as to what could be occurring? Thanks!

is it specifically to one side or both? Might be a bent flange.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Could be nothing more than brake dust build up. I would hose out the area and see if it goes away. If not, what size tires are you running? Have you done any wheeling? Could be you have a bent flange.

WJCO

Meme King

Have someone else drive in a parking lot while you walk around and try to isolate which wheel it is. Then diagnose from there. Brakes are typically covered for the first 12/12 as long as the lift didn't affect anything.

OneT

35" tires - I THINK it is the passenger side. I would like to look into this bent flange you speak of. Could you be more specific with what I am looking for? Maybe a picture?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
35" tires - I THINK it is the passenger side. I would like to look into this bent flange you speak of. Could you be more specific with what I am looking for? Maybe a picture?

Your rear axle runs semi-float shafts and the flange that your wheels bolt onto could be slightly bent. That would cause a slight wobble as you drive and that can cause your brakes to squeak as you are describing. Of course, so can warped rotors.

OneT

Could be nothing more than brake dust build up. I would hose out the area and see if it goes away. If not, what size tires are you running? Have you done any wheeling? Could be you have a bent flange.

35's and yes I do wheel (nowhere near the cool stuff you do) but it has been going on since I want to say I installed the lift. I COULD be wrong. It's just now bothering me to the point I wanted to post about it haha!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Jack up the back end and spin the tires. Watch for any wobble like Eddie mentioned. I had that happen on a used Jeep, I bought, once.

OneT

Jack up the back end and spin the tires. Watch for any wobble like Eddie mentioned. I had that happen on a used Jeep, I bought, once.

Ok I will try that. Damn, I would be shocked if it was that. I DOUBT they would cover it under warranty with my lift and tires. I really don't beat on her at all, I have only had is since March and been wheeling 2 or 3 times. Kinda sad now that I type it out...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You don't have to be playing like I do to bend a flange and it doesn't take much to get them to cause a squeak. A lot of times, you can't even see it with the naked eye. To know for sure, you'd want to run a dial indicator on the flange to know for sure. That being said, it could be just that your rotors are slightly warped and brake dusts is making them squeak. I would still try the hose before spending any more time and money on this.

OneT

You don't have to be playing like I do to bend a flange and it doesn't take much to get them to cause a squeak. A lot of times, you can't even see it with the naked eye. To know for sure, you'd want to run a dial indicator on the flange to know for sure. That being said, it could be just that your rotors are slightly warped and brake dusts is making them squeak. I would still try the hose before spending any more time and money on this.

Will do, thank you!

JeepJeep75

As everyone has stated, it doesn't take much to bend a flange. I bent mine just by clipping a curb while turning a corner near my house. With stock Rubicon tires no less! Looked into the dealer warranty. Jeep doesn't cover impacts.

Top Bottom