Experinces with Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie’s JK Write-up recommends 1/16” but no more than 1/8”

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This ^^^^^^^

As you drive, your front tires pull outward and the idea of toe in is that they'll run parallel to each other when driving. Too much toe in will cause them to stay toe in even when driving.

Braxtonsag

Going long between rotations will cause an MT to howl. If you can stick to frequent rotations, I can almost guarantee you that they'll stay a LOT quieter.

Also, make sure you don't have too much toe in set. I see a lot of guys who think they need a lot more toe in just because they're running bigger tires. Too much toe in will cause your tires to wear a lot faster.

I think mine are past the point of howling lmao I’ll probably check my Alignment again. Pretty sure I got it right right when I changed the tie rod but there’s always that margin for error. They’re not wearing irregularly other than how the lugs taper front to back

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I have 11k miles on 4 of mine had to replace one with a sidewall cut. (My fault).
The one I replaced has 6200 miles on it and 4100 of that was to Moab and back to Alabama.
The newest one is chunking terrible compared to the others that have more than twice the mileage.
IMG_6380.jpg IMG_6388.jpg IMG_6389.jpg IMG_6386.jpg

Anybody else having this issue? Thinking this newest tire come from a bad batch maybe. I’m going to carry it back to the tire store and see what they have to say.
My 3.8 isn’t exactly a tire shredder.

Ddays

Hooked
Weebz did that to his brand new set when we were at Drummond a couple weeks ago. But, I also did the same thing and mine are over 3 years old. Kinda thinking its the obstacles and the fact that these have pretty open lugs that can tear like that in rocks or ledges with jagged edges.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Weebz did that to his brand new set when we were at Drummond a couple weeks ago. But, I also did the same thing and mine are over 3 years old. Kinda thinking its the obstacles and the fact that these have pretty open lugs that can tear like that in rocks or ledges with jagged edges.

I really like the tires, but don’t know if I’ll buy anymore. Pictures don’t really show how bad that one tire is. Probably go to a Nitto or Maxxis.

2011jk

I've had MTR's, Toyo MT's, Coppers SST Pro's and Nittos Trail Grapplers. Nitto's better by far than the others in every way. Just look at the Hammers race and see what their running.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've had MTR's, Toyo MT's, Coppers SST Pro's and Nittos Trail Grapplers. Nitto's better by far than the others in every way. Just look at the Hammers race and see what their running.

LOL - right, because Nitto being heavily invested in KOH and sponsor most of the top Ultra4 drivers would have nothing to do with that. Honestly, that is just some stupid shit right there.

I've run all those tires and then some and honestly, I couldn't disagree with you more. When it comes to hooking up on the rocks, STT Pros have it or at least, in my opinion. When it comes to sidewall strength, Toyo MT's in a 37x13.50 with a load range E have it. MTR's just suck all the way around. In a 40, the Trail Grappler is probably what I would say is one of the best "all around tire" but I couldn't say the same about it in a 37.

JKbrick

LOL - right, because Nitto being heavily invested in KOH and sponsor most of the top Ultra4 drivers would have nothing to do with that. Honestly, that is just some stupid shit right there.

I've run all those tires and then some and honestly, I couldn't disagree with you more. When it comes to hooking up on the rocks, STT Pros have it or at least, in my opinion. When it comes to sidewall strength, Toyo MT's in a 37x13.50 with a load range E have it. MTR's just suck all the way around. In a 40, the Trail Grappler is probably what I would say is one of the best "all around tire" but I couldn't say the same about it in a 37.

What about 35s? Asking for a friend

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

For a good all around tire that sees a lot of daily driving, it's hard to beat a Toyo MT. At least, in my experience. My only real problem with Nitto Trail Grapplers in a 35 or 37 is that they have a radial pull to the left. Not that big of a deal but it is something that needs to be noted and otherwise, it's a good choice too. I've not run a Cooper STT Pro in a 35 so it'd be hard for me to say for sure how it does with any real experience. However, if you see any snow and ice, I still stand by the fact that STT Pros perform the best in it of any MT I've run.

nbunga

Caught the Bug

For a good all around tire that sees a lot of daily driving, it's hard to beat a Toyo MT. At least, in my experience. My only real problem with Nitto Trail Grapplers in a 35 or 37 is that they have a radial pull to the left. Not that big of a deal but it is something that needs to be noted and otherwise, it's a good choice too. I've not run a Cooper STT Pro in a 35 so it'd be hard for me to say for sure how it does with any real experience. However, if you see any snow and ice, I still stand by the fact that STT Pros perform the best in it of any MT I've run.

I hear the radial pull is worse when putting it on your trailer vs taking it off. [emoji12]

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I have around 40k on my Trail Grapplers and the pull to the left has been noticeable for over a year. But they are wearing well. I don’t know what I will run when it’s time for new.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have a year and a half on my Toyo M/Ts, 37x12.50. Mostly wheeling and driving to wheeling. Not a daily driver. Couple of trips to Moab, couple of Rubicon runs, Fordyce, multiple trips to Big Bear, Calico, Cougar Buttes, etc. They have performed very well. No flats, no chunking, no radial pull. They took some weight to get balanced, and they do best at about 8 psi. Kind of expensive. I have no complaints and would recommend them.

JKbrick

I was interested in Toyo since everyone says they don’t balance them, I don’t daily it so I may try them, thanks Eddie

USMC Wrangler

So Cooper doesn’t make a 35 for 17’s in the STTPro. They used to before the pro model was released, aka the old STT’s. I’m running the next closest in 315/70R17 and have been for several months now.

I do not notice a pull related to the tires. To keep mine square on the road I can’t run them anymore than 26 psi cold. They definitely seem to be a softer compound since I’m already seeing some chunks after only a few trails vs the Nitto’s I had previously.

I’m mostly happy with them in this size for the price I paid.

IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_8121.jpg

IMG_8120.jpg

Boudie350z

35s on a 2019 JLUR as daily driver

More like exceeding my expectations. I always love to try out new tires but have always defaulted to Toyos as they've always proven to be all around good tires. Nitto Trail Grapplers in a 40" size were a great tire too but I didn't like them as much in a 37 - totally different tire. Unlike Trail Grapplers, Coopers don't have the strong radial pull to the left and so far, I have found them to hook up much better on the rocks. Coopers are slightly more audible on the highway but nothing I would consider to be loud or noisy.

Hi All,

I am new to forum posting so i hope this finds everyone well. I have a 2019 JLUR. I had a 2.5" lift installed last month and now my 33s are lookin a bit small, not bad though. i have been toying with the idea of 35s (really want 37s but i hear that comes with a whole new can of worms regarding wear and tear, fuel mileage and regearing needs). my rig is my daily driver (70 mi/day) and i am proud of it. In looking i thought about Trail Grapplers but then i read peoples comments on the Cooper MTs and i'm very curious about them. i recently saw Eddie's video about his 37s and chatting about regearing and effects- great video!). He did mention that 4:10s in the JLUR were more or less sufficient to run them though. My question would be, can the rig take 35s without worry of mechanical failure? and realistically what that would do to the rig's drivability? Thank you for everyone's ear.

Chris B in New Hampshire

Hi All,

I am new to forum posting so i hope this finds everyone well. I have a 2019 JLUR. I had a 2.5" lift installed last month and now my 33s are lookin a bit small, not bad though. i have been toying with the idea of 35s (really want 37s but i hear that comes with a whole new can of worms regarding wear and tear, fuel mileage and regearing needs). my rig is my daily driver (70 mi/day) and i am proud of it. In looking i thought about Trail Grapplers but then i read peoples comments on the Cooper MTs and i'm very curious about them. i recently saw Eddie's video about his 37s and chatting about regearing and effects- great video!). He did mention that 4:10s in the JLUR were more or less sufficient to run them though. My question would be, can the rig take 35s without worry of mechanical failure? and realistically what that would do to the rig's drivability? Thank you for everyone's ear.

Chris B in New Hampshire

Yeah you should be fine. However if you’re driving that much daily you might want to reconsider the mt, they’re not known for treadlife and commuting. An AT would likely suit your needs better.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Boudie350z

Yeah you should be fine. However if you’re driving that much daily you might want to reconsider the mt, they’re not known for treadlife and commuting. An AT would likely suit your needs better.

Thank you very much Snboarder113- i know it sounds crazy but i really like the look of the MT. And regarding treadlife, if i can get 2 years out of them, i would be amazed- dont think i have ever gone more than 14 months in a vehicle without changing out shoes. also we have snow half of the year so the spaced out lugs, from what i understand, would track well in snow. its food for thought though. i'm still looking at my options. much appreciate your time sir.

Thank you very much Snboarder113- i know it sounds crazy but i really like the look of the MT. And regarding treadlife, if i can get 2 years out of them, i would be amazed- dont think i have ever gone more than 14 months in a vehicle without changing out shoes. also we have snow half of the year so the spaced out lugs, from what i understand, would track well in snow. its food for thought though. i'm still looking at my options. much appreciate your time sir.

I live in Michigan so i can attest to the tread in snow. And while it’s the best MT I’ve ever tried in snow. It still doesn’t hold a candle to something like a duratrac. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Top Bottom