IT'S HERE : Jeep JK BIG Bore XD Steerng Gear Box - NOW SHIPPING

tippedover

You don't need to replace anything else than this part. Hardest part is getting pitman arm off- and you will need a second person to line up the holes when mounting the box to the frame. I could not hold it in place and line up the bolts... but an extra set of hands did it fine. I used no special tools.... no power tools... so I would say it is a pretty easy part swap.

Ok great to know! Did it come with solid instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Running it with 37's now. No problem and it drives with two fingers on the highway... unless it is like 40mph winds... then I need a full paw on the wheel.

So... no leaking, no adverse effects on pump or steering components. Submerged it with water over the tires... it did fine. It doesn't feel much different than stock on the road. It does not refuse to turn the tires when backing my trailer up, where the old box and pump would sometimes have issues when pushing the trailer uphill and backwards.

I would buy it again, I don't regret not getting a ram assist at this point. 90% of my driving is on pavement. It doesn't have any issues at this point!

Thanks for sharing this with us, I am looking into getting this box myself

sunnysideup

Ok great to know! Did it come with solid instructions?

Yes... but it wouldn't hurt for you to look at an online video of installing a steering box. You have 4 frame bolts, two hoses to attach, the steering shaft that runs through the firewall to your wheel (1 bolt and nut there), and the Pitman arm nut. So 8 totally steps to take off, and 8 steps to put back on. Move the coolant tank.... and bungie it back... you should be good to go.

Yes... but it wouldn't hurt for you to look at an online video of installing a steering box. You have 4 frame bolts, two hoses to attach, the steering shaft that runs through the firewall to your wheel (1 bolt and nut there), and the Pitman arm nut. So 8 totally steps to take off, and 8 steps to put back on. Move the coolant tank.... and bungie it back... you should be good to go.

Sounds like a breeze. Thanks for all the info.

How many people have gotten this box and what's your feedback? I think my box is shot so I'm considering this from PSC or their replacement steering box... about a $200 difference which isn't a whole lot but it's still $650-$850 more than I wanted to spend now. Especially after getting a driveshaft, brake lines, diff covers...

wjtstudios

Hooked
You don't need to replace anything else than this part. Hardest part is getting pitman arm off- and you will need a second person to line up the holes when mounting the box to the frame. I could not hold it in place and line up the bolts... but an extra set of hands did it fine. I used no special tools.... no power tools... so I would say it is a pretty easy part swap.

Mine arrived from PSC today and I plan on installing it over the holiday. Since it did not come with instructions, I'm assuming you drop the unit down and out. Did you need to remove the inner fender to do it?

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Something else to keep in mind is that I also replaced the drag link when I did the big bore xd. Even with the stock gear, I had bent the OEM drag link turning 37s. I would have destroyed the OEM if it wasn't strengthened.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Something else to keep in mind is that I also replaced the drag link when I did the big bore xd. Even with the stock gear, I had bent the OEM drag link turning 37s. I would have destroyed the OEM if it wasn't strengthened.

Yea that's what I herd about the factory drag link. I do plan to upgrade to Currie links when I do my XD box.....
How are you liking the big bore? How does it perform?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yea that's what I herd about the factory drag link. I do plan to upgrade to Currie links when I do my XD box.....
How are you liking the big bore? How does it perform?

I've only had it on the road, but it's like turning a small tire. I did put it in 4 low and locked it up to test the system after the install. In forward, it had no problem turning up the 37s. In reverse, it's still a challenge to turn but not like it was. But thats not a normal situation that we'd encounter.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I've only had it on the road, but it's like turning a small tire. I did put it in 4 low and locked it up to test the system after the install. In forward, it had no problem turning up the 37s. In reverse, it's still a challenge to turn but not like it was. But thats not a normal situation that we'd encounter.

Nice [emoji106] thanks,
Is your box ported and capped in case you wish to add ram assist in the future?

sunnysideup

Yep... I had already been running different draglink and tie rod/track bar... didn't think about it, but I guessing it would be smart to replace that stock one!

Hey guys! Quick question for those who are running this box or maybe just anyone who has more of an idea than me LOL

I just got my PSC box and I'm super stoked to have it installed, but I was curious on if I needed the lines and pump to go with it? From my understanding is I won't need to, but the current lines on the JK are super restrictive and I should make the switch eventually?

Main reason I'm asking is my current box is bad and I didn't want to pay the money in the first place but I choked it up and bought it and would rather not have to spend another $520 on top of the $900 I already paid for the box..

Thanks for any help guys I appreciate it!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Hey guys! Quick question for those who are running this box or maybe just anyone who has more of an idea than me LOL

I just got my PSC box and I'm super stoked to have it installed, but I was curious on if I needed the lines and pump to go with it? From my understanding is I won't need to, but the current lines on the JK are super restrictive and I should make the switch eventually?

Main reason I'm asking is my current box is bad and I didn't want to pay the money in the first place but I choked it up and bought it and would rather not have to spend another $520 on top of the $900 I already paid for the box..

Thanks for any help guys I appreciate it!

I did not upgrade them in mine and it does not require it. I may in the future though. Beyond that when my box worked it was great, but over a couple of weeks it developed a lot of play in the steering wheel. PSC is swapping the box for me. Great company!!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Cool thanks for the info! Have you gotten the new box et?

Not yet, I hope this week. But it is definitely worth the investment. I was up on Drummond island in Michigan all last week and even with the play in the box, it had no trouble moving the 37s on large rocks, sand and mud while locked up. As I stated above, I would strongly recommend a upgraded drag link. With the added power, It will bend a stock link easily.

JKbrick

Not yet, I hope this week. But it is definitely worth the investment. I was up on Drummond island in Michigan all last week and even with the play in the box, it had no trouble moving the 37s on large rocks, sand and mud while locked up. As I stated above, I would strongly recommend a upgraded drag link. With the added power, It will bend a stock link easily.

Did you post pics of your trip yet?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

That sounds badass man I'm excited to get mine In! I might hold off with the drag link for now and see how it goes, I'm only on 35s now with no lockers so I want to really test it and see! Thanks for the info again man keep us updated with the new box! I'm going in next Tuesday for mine woo!

Top Bottom