Re-doing cb radio.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Pretty straight forward. Install everything where you want it. At the radio hookup the swr meter ( or if it has one built in) go to channel one press the talk button and watch the signal strength. Repeat with the high channel. Assuming you have a tuneable tip, spin it one way or the other replace tip cap. Repeat. If you keep getting way high readings your ground sucks and needs attention, that’s where a grounding strap comes in. Make sure everything that’ll be installed on the Jeep is there when you tune it, tire carrier etc.

Here’s the how to i follow
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Here is his write-up for the Cobra 29 in a JK.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/5699-Cobra-29-CB-Radio-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Installation-Write-Up

Here is his write-up for the Cobra 29 in a JL.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/54093-WAYALIFE-CB-BAR-Jeep-JL-Wrangler-Overhead-Full-Size-CB-Radio-Mount

Edit: I misread your post and did not see the "set up a CB" part...haha. Hopefully you'll still find this helpful.

Thank you for the links! It seemed easy enough. I tend to like to over educate myself before digging into something new. Appreciate the help.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I also use this hood mount. Works great. Generally speaking, the hood is a better location for a cb antenna anyway, because the hood offers a sizable "ground plane" for the radio waves, and should offer better range vs. on the spare tire carrier.

That said, a 3' or 4' firestick antenna with good ground and tuned SWR should still work on the spare tire carrier.

Also check that you have the correct length of coax cable between the antenna and radio. If not, you'll never be able to dial in the SWR.

I’m using same hood mount, swr 1.1-1.3. Been using a 4’ firestick works great. Broke the fire stick at Windrock on tree limb. 🤦🏻*♂️.
Should have put a spring on it. IMG_1491.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Different topic, but what is the accents name on your Jeep that you got those for your air vents? I'm looking for dark blue/blue colors. If you don't mind!

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I actually just painted them. You can get color matched spray paint from quadratec. It’s a little price but is worth it.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Got everything re installed and also added a ground wire straight from my antenna mount to the frame. I should have an amazing ground now haha. I also took off any paint that would affect the ground. Just need to tune it and test it out.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
YAY!! I got it tuned! Everything sounds great! I even got my scanner working too. A good ground is everything. I’m just glad I didn’t have to completely redo everything and put my antennas in a new spot. I don’t think those guys at the CB shop do to many jeeps.

Last edited:
Good work. In their defense they’re not wrong, everything does interfere with the antenna. I think they don’t realize that jeeps don’t need to talk to people miles and miles away. I don’t think I’ve ever needed to use it more than half a mile.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Good work. In their defense they’re not wrong, everything does interfere with the antenna. I think they don’t realize that jeeps don’t need to talk to people miles and miles away. I don’t think I’ve ever needed to use it more than half a mile.

Yeah true. They were telling me to move it completely away from everything on my Jeep and I totally get it but I’m just glad I fixed the ground issue before redoing the coax cable and mounting issues.

Top Bottom