wschilawski's JKU Build

wschilawski

We had some crazy weather the past few weeks. Went from 73 degrees on 10/22 all the way down to 10 degrees today 11/10; glad I put the hardtop back on!

Jeep1.jpg

Ordered a Trigger Accessory Controller today which will be dropped off tonight for installation this weekend. This is one that is controlled by either a wireless controller or via Bluetooth from your phone. Will post photos before and after installation.

wschilawski

Just a little unboxing of the Trigger Accessory Controller. Seems like a nice product and I really like the magnetic controller mount. Will be installing tomorrow so stay tuned for some photos.

3575D9F9-9188-4836-B66A-04BDF2F85E27.jpg

46288125-D334-478F-8962-6328071EA5EC.jpg

057BA8E4-20B0-4AA3-A387-9DB8DCCDFD6E.jpg

56CEA167-21F8-473E-8E1A-C7B77B33C719.jpg

CF2104DD-7326-49DA-AFE7-82748A6A6163.jpg

9923D888-F160-4CAB-89B7-96955F068777.jpg

wschilawski

The Trigger Accessory Controller was very easy to install - had PLENTY of wiring available for all my mall crawlin' lights. The "brain" of the system is very robust and well put together. Yes, the wireless controller seems fairly cheap but it's not something that's going to be bouncing around. The unit comes standard with a roll cage mount and magnetic attachment. Nice that if you're running around doorless/topless, you can take the controller and lock it in the glove box to prevent people from turning the lights on (if the trigger wire is going directly to the battery). The app is also easy to use - has a strobe function for all the tuner meet 'n greets I go to (kidding, but seriously, the strobe is kind of cool). Or if you're working outside the Jeep you can turn them on wirelessly (not sure of the range).

J1.jpg

J2.jpg

J3.jpg

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
The Trigger Accessory Controller was very easy to install - had PLENTY of wiring available for all my mall crawlin' lights. The "brain" of the system is very robust and well put together. Yes, the wireless controller seems fairly cheap but it's not something that's going to be bouncing around. The unit comes standard with a roll cage mount and magnetic attachment. Nice that if you're running around doorless/topless, you can take the controller and lock it in the glove box to prevent people from turning the lights on (if the trigger wire is going directly to the battery). The app is also easy to use - has a strobe function for all the tuner meet 'n greets I go to (kidding, but seriously, the strobe is kind of cool). Or if you're working outside the Jeep you can turn them on wirelessly (not sure of the range).

Looks good man! I haven't heard of that company before, but looks simple enough.

wschilawski

Looks good man! I haven't heard of that company before, but looks simple enough.

I hadn't either until the guy I typically buy from showed me his setup. Sounds like there's a new style coming out but he couldn't tell when. It took just under an hour (pulling old wire harnesses out and then wiring everything back up). Right now I have everything wired up to the pre-configured wirelooms using quick disconnects. I'll be soldering them together in the next few months when there's some downtime.

Looks like a neat little box. Is it a decent price?

Got it for $175 - it makes it really easy to swap accessories out. It's used on UTV's a lot but now that most RZR's are coming with their own switch pod, looks like they're pushing the offroad scene.

I will be taking the trigger wire off of the battery and going to the fuse box. I went outside over lunch and noticed my a-pillar lights were on (must have turned them on when I was showing someone the remote earlier this morning and didn't notice as I walked into work). :thinking:

wschilawski

Been waiting for a write up on this... looks clean! Would be awesome if they had a winch control switch too.

Yes that would be nice - right now it's just a push button on/off rather than the rocker switches we're all used to seeing. Maybe in the upcoming model(s)? That would also be nice if you could upgrade your controller but use the same magnetic base. I'll be following Trigger to see what other products they come out with in the future.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Yes that would be nice - right now it's just a push button on/off rather than the rocker switches we're all used to seeing. Maybe in the upcoming model(s)? That would also be nice if you could upgrade your controller but use the same magnetic base. I'll be following Trigger to see what other products they come out with in the future.

Very Cool... I really like the ease of install and flexibility of switch mount... thanks for the updates.

wschilawski

Just a quick update on the Trigger - we were putting our son to bed when I saw this glowing coming from the driveway. Nope, not aliens, but my light bar. Somehow it got turned on, same thing happened with my a-pillar lights at work the other day. I reset the remote to a different code but it kept happening.

I'm picking up a new control box tonight and will be running the trigger wire directly to the fuse box using a fuse splice (to the heated seat location). Hopefully it was just a bad box; will update once it's installed.

Also picking up some used Smittybilt XRC fender flares tonight so I'll post photos of those later on as well.

Until then, Jeep on!

TrailHunter

Hooked
Just a quick update on the Trigger - we were putting our son to bed when I saw this glowing coming from the driveway. Nope, not aliens, but my light bar. Somehow it got turned on, same thing happened with my a-pillar lights at work the other day. I reset the remote to a different code but it kept happening.

I'm picking up a new control box tonight and will be running the trigger wire directly to the fuse box using a fuse splice (to the heated seat location). Hopefully it was just a bad box; will update once it's installed.

Also picking up some used Smittybilt XRC fender flares tonight so I'll post photos of those later on as well.

Until then, Jeep on!

That’s weird.... maybe the neighbors kid downloaded the app and he’s messin with ya... lol... hope you get that resolved.

wschilawski

Well I switched out with a new Trigger Controller but had the same problem - people kept flashing their brights and then I realized the lightbar turned on. I'll be swapping out with the 6-rocker switch system from Rough Country next month; decided to get away from all the bluetooth options and run wires direct.

The Trigger was a neat design, just didn't work for me (checked wiring/re-checked wiring/checked connections).

BaddestCross

Well I switched out with a new Trigger Controller but had the same problem - people kept flashing their brights and then I realized the lightbar turned on. I'll be swapping out with the 6-rocker switch system from Rough Country next month; decided to get away from all the bluetooth options and run wires direct.

The Trigger was a neat design, just didn't work for me (checked wiring/re-checked wiring/checked connections).
I decided against that system for fear of that exact issue. Good idea, but nothing more reliable than a good one fashioned hard-wire. Sorry you had issues. 🍻

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

wschilawski

I decided against that system for fear of that exact issue. Good idea, but nothing more reliable than a good one fashioned hard-wire. Sorry you had issues. 🍻

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Definitely worth a shot to see how it worked, just not for me. Hard-wire it is!

I'll be putting some new shocks in this weekend; went with the Rocksports through MetalCloak. I've heard good things about this for a budget shock so I figured I'd try them out and get rid of the Rough Country ones that are in there now. These were a hand-me-down when I wanted to change out the Bilsteins.

A buddy just opened a shop here in Green Bay so it will be nice to work indoors on a lift :thumb:

wschilawski

Spent some time Saturday putting 10+ coats of paint on the new red RockSport shocks along with testing the travel out. At full flex, I'm at 33" between the floor and bottom of tire. And there's an axle seal that needs to be replaced as well :thinking:

IMG_7001.jpg

IMG_7003.jpg

We then went out near Lakewood on Sunday to play around a bit. Ends up new u-joints are needed.

DSC_0611.jpg

DSC_0600.jpg

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg

IMG_E6993.jpg

wschilawski

Ordered new axle seals, u-joints, and EVO rear shock skids this week for another shop day Saturday. With the snow starting to fall, 4WD has been engaged a few times. I've been getting some grinding/ticking noise while in 4WD at slower speeds. We're going to changeout the u-joints and possibly the front driveshaft to try pinpointing the problem. Will do a transfer case fluid change also while it's on the lift.

wschilawski

Spent another day at the shop on Saturday; replaced inner axle seals, axle u-joints, installed EVO rear shock skids, and removed the outer axle seals (trapped all kinds of crap in the axle tubes - go figure). Still have a clicking up front so we'll be swapping out drive shafts on Wednesday to try and pinpoint what's going on.

Sunday we played in the snow again in Lakewood with a larger group - had a blast!

IMG_E7102.jpg

IMG_E7108.jpg

IMG_E7120.jpg

IMG_E7124.jpg

IMG_E7128.jpg

IMG_E7146.jpg

IMG_E7153.jpg

IMG_E7160.jpg

IMG_E7169.jpg

IMG_E7170.jpg

IMG_E7174.jpg

IMG_E7177.jpg