CANCELED My AAA Premier Road Side Assistance - Think You're Covered? Think Again

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Stranded in big bear. AAA was there. No issues.

And have used it personally at least two other times for ENVY on 37s. McPucks rig was towed from outside Pleasantville down to Fullerton. Maxed out the 200 miles.

Sounds like the fine print is up to interpretation by the tow company and that guy was straight douche.

That's just the thing, up until now, I've never had a problem with AAA. However, if they're willing to leave you stranded on the side of the road or stand behind one of their drivers who's trying to extort money for help, I no longer have a need for their service. I'd do just as well taking my chances on my own or signing up with someone else.

The driver was the only one at fault for that whole ordeal. As a former tow truck operator out of Minnesota, the only time I refused to tow a vehicle was due to extremly lowered vehicles. Due to damaging of the bumpers. But to be able to throw moaby up on my flat bed, would have been a privilege, and a great conversation starter! If anything, give terrible reviews to that tow operator and their company. Mostly for being to lazy to do their job...

Mr Beedle

I don't know about lazy being that he was rearing to go so long as I was willing to drop $600-$700 in his hands. Again, I had all but forgotten about this incident and was only reminded of it after AAA sent me an email survey to ask how they did and then got the response that I did from them.

I'd forward those pics to them!

I did. I sent the follow up email to Mary.

Dear Mary,
I am sending you several photos that I found in a pinch and all of them showing Jeeps just like mine being towed using AAA. I would be grateful if you could please verify that none of these Jeeps should have been towed using your services. If that is the case, I would be grateful if you could please let me know how I can cancel my service. Being that I paid for the year in advance as I always do, I’d be grateful if you could please refund me for the difference that I have yet to use.

Thank you
Edwin Oh

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had a similar issue recently with progressive road side assistance. I hashed an accessory drive pully and threw my serpentine belt coming down a steep grade in my area. Got in touch with my road side assistance explained that my girlfriend and I were stranded on the side of the road. Made sure they understood that there was two of us multiple times, and explained that my jeep would likely require a roll back for the 50 mile tow home. Long story short after waiting nearly 3 hours the tow company shows up with a wrecker and not enough room for both of us. The driver went ballistic on me. I pointed out his issue was with progressive and not me and he finally calmed down a bit. Being as this was the only tow company within 100 miles I had no choice but to have him tow my jeep home with the wrecker. My girlfriend went with him and came back to get me with her renegade nearly 2 hours later. On top of all of this I got a bill in the mail a week later from the towing company and progressive raised my premium. Needless to say, I don't insure through them anymore. glad you posted this Eddie, I was considering getting AAA.

Well that's a hell of a story. Sucks that you had to go through that. Up until this morning, I would have highly recommended AAA. When you weigh out the cost, you're almost better off saving your money and biting the bullet if the need ever arises.

Wow that sucks. Good that you canceled.

Well, truth be told, I'm still working on it. I let them know that they need to verify that my Jeep can't be towed based on their fine print. If that is the case, I asked them to cancel my service. If I don't hear back from them soon, I will just call to make it happen.

Triple A Premier is not cheap, either. I've had it, but now this makes me think I shouldn't renew. I can understand, stating the policy to you, but they could have been more apologetic, since you've been a long time member, and since they've done it for you before. That email had no hint of true apology in it.

Right, so I also have Cindy and my son on the plan so it really isn't cheap. Had I not had the service and had to pay the $600-$700 to have Moby towed home, I would have still been way ahead. The whole thing is a joke.

Wtf is the difference between moby and my F250?

Your F250 wasn't in need of a tow.

JAGS

Hooked
Triple A Premier is not cheap, either. I've had it, but now this makes me think I shouldn't renew. I can understand, stating the policy to you, but they could have been more apologetic, since you've been a long time member, and since they've done it for you before. That email had no hint of true apology in it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You'd have to retrain the monkeys on the other end. Responses like that are cut and paste. It takes a lot of work these day to actually "speak" with and have off talking point discussion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In my line of work I see vehicles get towed regularly, many with missing tires, axles or with other miscellaneous parts dangling off precariously. The drivers do a pretty good job locking everything down. Your experience is the first time I've heard of a rejected tow due to a safety concern.

But it Sounds like $700 would have made the situation much safer...

(extortion)

Believe me, this whole experience was an eye opener for me. I've NEVER seen a lot of Jeeps being towed and this is the first time the issue of "safety" has ever come up let alone being left stranded unless you paid up. :naw:

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Interesting this pops up now as we are just about to take off on a long trip and were talking about these scenarios. I was thinking about AAA but now I don't think so. Not only were they ambiguous about what they'll tow but youre left hoping the right guy pulls up and not an asshole.
Sorry that happened man. That's an eye opener to say the least.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I don't to understand why they would send didn't send a flat bed regardless of how modified your Jeep was or wasn't. It was my understanding that the minute you mention "4WD/AWD" to a towing company, they know to send a flat bed in order to prevent damage to the drive train. :thinking:

But regardless, the fact that they wanted to charge you extra for a modified vehicle is ridiculous.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Your Experience Made Me Curious

I went and looked up the terms of towing service for my local Carolinas AAA, but I imagine it's largely the same for other areas. Here's what it says -

Towing Service
When your vehicle cannot be safely driven after attempting any of the listed emergency services herein, you will be given three (3) towing options:
Option 1: You may be towed to a AAA Carolinas owned and operated AAA Car Care facility, within 10 miles, or to the AAA contractor’s station that responded to your call at no charge. When a AAA Contracted Road Service Provider tows a member back to their location and the car is towed away from the Road Service Provider’s facility, over mileage for the original tow and storage fees may apply. If service is not performed at the AAA Car Care facility and vehicle is towed to another location, over-mileage costs will be incurred.
Option 2: You may be towed to a destination you select within the first three (3) miles of the disablement (at no charge). Plus and Plus/RV Members receive up to 100 miles free towing. Premier and Premier/RV Members receive one 200 mile tow a year with each additional tow covered up to 100 miles.
Option 3: You may be towed to a destination you select that is beyond the mileage coverage for your service level at the rate of $4.00 per mile. (Basic up to 3 miles, Plus & Plus/RV up to 100 miles, and Premier & Premier/RV up to 200 miles once, and 100 miles for all other calls).
In an effort to provide a safe, quality environment for our members and providers, large trucks and some multi-passenger vehicles, including but not limited to: F-350s, F-450s, motorcycles, dual-wheel trucks, Hummers and vehicles extending past the rollback bed, must have Plus/RV or Premier/RV coverage or they will not be covered by AAA Carolinas. In combination with the total weight and type of the tow vehicle, these restrictions are required as different equipment is needed to provide service. This restriction is based on: the weight of the vehicle being towed, weight distribution of the vehicle being towed and weight loads on the axle of the tow vehicle, and safety based on Department of Transportation guidelines. Note: The final decision to provide service to a vehicle safely is left to the discretion of the AAA Contracted Road Service Provider.

In instances where your vehicle is disabled while towing a trailer, service may be provided for the trailer at your expense and will be payable to the service facility at the time of service. Plus/RV and Premier/RV service extends coverage to include travel trailers with sleeping accommodations used for the purpose of camping. You may not use more than one service call per breakdown. Vehicles that have been modified by the owner risk possible damage when towed or serviced. AAA Carolinas reserves the right to refuse the tow or service on the grounds of safety and liability. If service is provided, the owner assumes responsibility for any damages not caused by the operator’s negligence. Premier’s 200 mile tow is not extended to vehicles requiring RV coverage. Charges for flatbed service requested by members, when not required by the AAA Towing manual, will be passed on to the member. The responding tow truck will have room for up to two passengers. AAA can assist in locating taxi service at the member’s expense to transport additional passengers. The final decision to provide service to a vehicle safely is left to the discretion of the AAA Contracted Road Service Provider.

Sounds like AAA gives a lot of power to independent towing shops and this guy used that to his advantage to extort you while hiding behind AAA.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting this pops up now as we are just about to take off on a long trip and were talking about these scenarios. I was thinking about AAA but now I don't think so. Not only were they ambiguous about what they'll tow but youre left hoping the right guy pulls up and not an asshole.
Sorry that happened man. That's an eye opener to say the least.

It was definitely an eye opener for us as well and I posted this up with the hopes of helping others out who might be interested in their services. Just because you pay for it doesn't mean they'll actually help you out.

I don't to understand why they would send didn't send a flat bed regardless of how modified your Jeep was or wasn't. It was my understanding that the minute you mention "4WD/AWD" to a towing company, they know to send a flat bed in order to prevent damage to the drive train. :thinking:

But regardless, the fact that they wanted to charge you extra for a modified vehicle is ridiculous.

Honestly, I'm just glad that we had the know how and the means to keep hobbling home. Otherwise, we would have been at the tow truck driver's mercy.

I went and looked up the terms of towing service for my local Carolinas AAA, but I imagine it's largely the same for other areas. Here's what it says -

Towing Service
When your vehicle cannot be safely driven after attempting any of the listed emergency services herein, you will be given three (3) towing options:
Option 1: You may be towed to a AAA Carolinas owned and operated AAA Car Care facility, within 10 miles, or to the AAA contractor’s station that responded to your call at no charge. When a AAA Contracted Road Service Provider tows a member back to their location and the car is towed away from the Road Service Provider’s facility, over mileage for the original tow and storage fees may apply. If service is not performed at the AAA Car Care facility and vehicle is towed to another location, over-mileage costs will be incurred.
Option 2: You may be towed to a destination you select within the first three (3) miles of the disablement (at no charge). Plus and Plus/RV Members receive up to 100 miles free towing. Premier and Premier/RV Members receive one 200 mile tow a year with each additional tow covered up to 100 miles.
Option 3: You may be towed to a destination you select that is beyond the mileage coverage for your service level at the rate of $4.00 per mile. (Basic up to 3 miles, Plus & Plus/RV up to 100 miles, and Premier & Premier/RV up to 200 miles once, and 100 miles for all other calls).
In an effort to provide a safe, quality environment for our members and providers, large trucks and some multi-passenger vehicles, including but not limited to: F-350s, F-450s, motorcycles, dual-wheel trucks, Hummers and vehicles extending past the rollback bed, must have Plus/RV or Premier/RV coverage or they will not be covered by AAA Carolinas. In combination with the total weight and type of the tow vehicle, these restrictions are required as different equipment is needed to provide service. This restriction is based on: the weight of the vehicle being towed, weight distribution of the vehicle being towed and weight loads on the axle of the tow vehicle, and safety based on Department of Transportation guidelines. Note: The final decision to provide service to a vehicle safely is left to the discretion of the AAA Contracted Road Service Provider.

In instances where your vehicle is disabled while towing a trailer, service may be provided for the trailer at your expense and will be payable to the service facility at the time of service. Plus/RV and Premier/RV service extends coverage to include travel trailers with sleeping accommodations used for the purpose of camping. You may not use more than one service call per breakdown. Vehicles that have been modified by the owner risk possible damage when towed or serviced. AAA Carolinas reserves the right to refuse the tow or service on the grounds of safety and liability. If service is provided, the owner assumes responsibility for any damages not caused by the operator’s negligence. Premier’s 200 mile tow is not extended to vehicles requiring RV coverage. Charges for flatbed service requested by members, when not required by the AAA Towing manual, will be passed on to the member. The responding tow truck will have room for up to two passengers. AAA can assist in locating taxi service at the member’s expense to transport additional passengers. The final decision to provide service to a vehicle safely is left to the discretion of the AAA Contracted Road Service Provider.

Sounds like AAA gives a lot of power to independent towing shops and this guy used that to his advantage to extort you while hiding behind AAA.

Yup, I looked it up in my neck of the woods as well and it reads the same, only with "Nevada" in place of "Carolinas". They cover their ass well and I suppose I can't really fault them for that. I just now see I've been wasting my money thinking they would help me in a pinch instead of leaving me at the mercy of a tow truck driver trying to make an easy $600-$700.

JeepJeep75

Seems like a competent tow-driver would know that sling-towing a jeep is not right, especially for ANY sort of distance beyond a driveway. This guy was being a dirt-bag.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Makes me wonder what the AAA manual says about towing a JK. I know my Subaru has to be flat towed because it is AWD.

jesse3638

Hooked
Sounds like in those terms and conditions you should have been covered. With your request of a flat bed you may have been out $280 not the $600-700 the driver suggested. Its funny they'll load up cars that rolled over multiple times, filled with blood and guts, and leaking fluids all over but won't load up a "modified" road worthy vehicle....:crazyeyes:. Maybe I should call ironically my AAA service just auto renewed..haha

TRLJNKY

Sucks that happened to you guys. I always thought AAA was the ultimate service. Im just curious. If you pulled the rear driveline could you still sling tow the JK? Just wondering in case I encounter this? Wasnt sure if Im missing something. Its what we do with the HMMWV's.

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Wow that's bull sounds like the driver was a lazy piece of crap! I would of expected AAA to respond better than that I certainly won't go with them now or in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sucks that happened to you guys. I always thought AAA was the ultimate service. Im just curious. If you pulled the rear driveline could you still sling tow the JK? Just wondering in case I encounter this? Wasnt sure if Im missing something. Its what we do with the HMMWV's.

Yes, we could have pulled the drive shaft and sling towed Moby. Of course, Cindy and I were so disgusted by the driver, we just wanted him to go. Besides, he probably would have charged a fee to wait around until I could pull it. :naw:

You could on the other hand keep your shit stock then have no worries! Lol!

LOL!! I still wouldn't want to sling tow a stock Jeep as far as I needed and the driver most likely would have come up with some reason why he couldn't do it unless I paid him $600-$700. :rolleyes2:

dasbus

IMG_2230.jpg

AAA towing us out of the Rubicon with a broken axel. This was the first time, second time was local and my battery went dead and again no issues with towing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
AAA towing us out of the Rubicon with a broken axel. This was the first time, second time was local and my battery went dead and again no issues with towing.

Like I said, in over 10 years, I never had a problem with AAA. This experience was surprising to say the least and disheartening that they would stand behind their tow truck driver that wanted to charge us $600-$700 or leave us stranded. Now that I've seen the fine print, I understand that I can't rely on them to consistently help me out in a pinch.

deezus

Like I said, in over 10 years, I never had a problem with AAA. This experience was surprising to say the least and disheartening that they would stand behind their tow truck driver that wanted to charge us $600-$700 or leave us stranded. Now that I've seen the fine print, I understand that I can't rely on them to consistently help me out in a pinch.
This was on the driver, so now we know to just keep calling until we get a good one ! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

We Canceled AAA Too !!!

Hey Everyone,

Me and my wife canceled AAA as well and thought i would share are experience as-well, so when we had are car that was 2013 Honda Accord we had to call to have are vehicle towed as it was not drivabale and we were plowed into the back of us from a lady drinking and on the phone, so the state trooper did a report and explained things to us and ask me if i had a tow truck or road service and i replied yes and he dispatched for AAA to come get us, so i gave it an hour as that was what he told us and then a hour went by still no tow truck, so i called AAA and they said the Driver would be there in 45 i said okay but its been a hour and it's raging hot, so we waited another hour went buy and i was finally getting real pissed and called them again and said it's been two hours and no tow truck has arrived and it's hot and there is no shade and im not able to turn my car air on, the lady replies sorry sir for the inconvinace but we are super busy, i replied i don't care i pay top price and have the top plan and this is the service i get, finally the truck arrives and the man comes up i don't know if i will be able to tow that, i replied that's why the trooper and I both requested a flat bed cause the damage in the back so he finallay dispachted a flat bed and he was the fasest and was there in 20 so we finally get the car home and get into the house and i relaxed for a while and then got on the phone called triple AAA and sent them a nasty letter and cancelled are cards, now we have geico and if anything happens to the beast we can have it repaired for only $500 out of are pocket and towed a 150 miles for free. DSC_0087.jpg DSC_0088.jpg DSC_0090.jpg DSC_0095.jpg

Top Bottom