Highway Overheating

J

JKDream

Once i installed the transmission cooler the hot oil light did go away under hard driving

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That was one of my issues as well. I originally had overheating from the mud, but it was actually the transmission overheating.
On my 2013 the transmission cooler is built into the radiator, so it wasn't cooling properly.
That's where your problem might lie, the transmission opposed to the engine.
Mine still gets hot some days, but never enough to ding the oil light on, and that's perfectly normal.
How long ago did you replace the transmission? If you've had the hot oil light since then, I'd replace the fluid.
It's typically burnt after that light comes on.

** You might want to make sure they put enough fluid in the transmission as well.
A lot of shops mess this up. Especially if it was a new transmission, they might have underfilled it.

Last edited by a moderator:

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Bumping an old thread .. fully loaded Jeep going up long mountain roads in NorCal runs super hot . 235 to 240 going uphill . Can keep it under 235 with AC off and heat on still maintaining 60. Outside temps are 100+ . Trans temperatures seem to be okay at less than 170. Thoughts on what will help and what magnitude ...

1) PS Bruiser bumper to lower the winch
2) aftermarket radiator
Others ?

Coolant was recently flushed and coolant level is good .

Bumping an old thread .. fully loaded Jeep going up long mountain roads in NorCal runs super hot . 235 to 240 going uphill . Can keep it under 235 with AC off and heat on still maintaining 60. Outside temps are 100+ . Trans temperatures seem to be okay at less than 170. Thoughts on what will help and what magnitude ...

2) aftermarket radiator
Others ?

What gears are you running?
Have you cleaned all the fine dusty silt and junk out of your radiator?

fiend

Caught the Bug
In my experience overheating on the JK is most likely due to air flow blockage. Such as mud caked in the radiator fins and/or winch, lights, etc in front of the radiator. I would start there.

BaddestCross

2) aftermarket radiator
Others ?

Sounds about normal to me. Did you replace your thermostat and get your radiator pressure tested though?

I just got back from another run up to the Sierras and the climb from the desert up the grade to the meadows get the temp gauge up to between the 3/4 and 1/2 marks with the Jeep loaded down running in 2nd gear. AC off, but no heat on.. 105° until we got up out of the dust bowl.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TrailHunter

Hooked

2) aftermarket radiator
Others ?

I'm thinking the raised Winch isn't helping.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
In my experience overheating on the JK is most likely due to air flow blockage. Such as mud caked in the radiator fins and/or winch, lights, etc in front of the radiator. I would start there.

Yep. Will lookup instructions on how to remove the fan and clean out the fins next weekend .

If doesn’t help may need to ditch bumper and light

Sounds about normal to me. Did you replace your thermostat and get your radiator pressure tested though?

I just got back from another run up to the Sierras and the climb from the desert up the grade to the meadows get the temp gauge up to between the 3/4 and 1/2 marks with the Jeep loaded down running in 2nd gear. AC off, but no heat on.. 105° until we got up out of the dust bowl.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

No haven’t replaced thermostat . Assuming it would throw a code if it was bad ?

Yah it isn’t too bad . Can make it up all the grades we have in Cali with AC off .. but not optimal . Would rather be able to do both

I'm thinking the raised Winch isn't helping.

Yep . What do folks like for bumpers that recess winch ? I’m looking at evo quarter pounder and the PS Bruiser . Partial to a bar or some sort tho and I like the bruiser low bar better than the stinger on the evo

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yep. Will lookup instructions on how to remove the fan and clean out the fins next weekend .

If doesn’t help may need to ditch bumper and light

No haven’t replaced thermostat . Assuming it would throw a code if it was bad ?

Yah it isn’t too bad . Can make it up all the grades we have in Cali with AC off .. but not optimal . Would rather be able to do both

Yep . What do folks like for bumpers that recess winch ? I’m looking at evo quarter pounder and the PS Bruiser . Partial to a bar or some sort tho and I like the bruiser low bar better than the stinger on the evo

I recent switched to a genright bumper with the winch recessed between the frame rails. It has a small bar hoop, not a big “stinger” thing. IMG_2542.jpg

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
No hard data, but I feel like mine ran cooler before I put on the winch cover.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

That’s an easy AB test . Winch cover coming off next time I hit the grapevine .

Have new radiator hoses anyway so will pull replace and flush fins at some point .

Other than the light frame rubbing and this over heating .. rig seems to be running awesome

Ruvicon

Change your heater hoses at the same time as radiator hoses and replace your thermostat too while system is open. Use only Mopar parts. Ask me why I know...

Top Bottom