4" Double D JK Bolt On Long Arm

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Makes sense. Just wondering in practice how much travel people are getting with the +4" coil/typical shock setup.

On a Double D kit, you will get as much travel as your shocks will allow fully extended and full compressed and without issue.

JungerJk

Yes, the high clearance brackets need to be welded on and most people who get the EVO long arm kit go this route ...

... Not too many people go this route but ...

First off, thank you for posting this. Really helpful and very informative.

So the way I'm reading this, is that while the bolt on kit would be fine, most people seem to be opting for the weld on high clearance brackets instead. I'm assuming this is because this is their first step in ultimately moving towards DTD, or is it because of the strength.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to avoid being "That Guy" who should have done X and did Y (and I know someone is going to say X is the DTD, but out of my reach :yup:)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, thank you for posting this. Really helpful and very informative.

So the way I'm reading this, is that while the bolt on kit would be fine, most people seem to be opting for the weld on high clearance brackets instead. I'm assuming this is because this is their first step in ultimately moving towards DTD, or is it because of the strength.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to avoid being "That Guy" who should have done X and did Y (and I know someone is going to say X is the DTD, but out of my reach :yup:)

You can only really do the high clearance brackets in the rear IF you are doing to be running a DTD. While we were able to get Off Road Evolution to setup Rubicat with the high clearance brackets, it took some custom work and is not what they normally allow. Getting the Double D kit now and then swapping in the high clearance brackets later is the way you should go and you will be all ready for them when you get to that point.

Toxic

Got mine from Brown Santa last week and can't wait to get it installed.

And here is the travel I'll be getting Front Extended Length - 28.250" Collapsed Length - 17.150" Travel length - 11.100
Rear Extended Length - 27.950" Collapsed Length - 17.350" Travel length - 10.600

Last edited:

Shawdad

You can only really do the high clearance brackets in the rear IF you are doing to be running a DTD. While we were able to get Off Road Evolution to setup Rubicat with the high clearance brackets, it took some custom work and is not what they normally allow. Getting the Double D kit now and then swapping in the high clearance brackets later is the way you should go and you will be all ready for them when you get to that point.

I was actually looking into doing the high clearance brackets and coilovers. In what way did it need to be modified?

Short answer...take it to ORE.

So agree with this. I installed the DD with BO CO's front and rear last fall. I have worked on things before but when I called Andrew at EVO to ask about the high clearance mounts and what mods I would have to do to get the geometry right, I wasn't about to attempt it. I still wish I would have drove the 10 hours to So Cal and had ORE do the install!

T&ERun

LOSER
Those of you that are running the double d with coils, not coilovers, do you mind posting your front lower and upper control arm lengths. Also do any of you run a dynayrac pr44 unlimited with this kit? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using WAYALIFE mobile app

StrizzyChris

Rubicat has the high clearance long arm system that's been modified to work with the EVO bolt on coilovers...not the DoubleD system. Both long arm systems work with a 2014 but require exhaust modification (as do every manufacturers long arms

Trail JK

Rubicat has the high clearance long arm system that's been modified to work with the EVO bolt on coilovers...not the DoubleD system. Both long arm systems work with a 2014 but require exhaust modification (as do every manufacturers long arms

Cool, moved exhaust today. Thanks!

iRonin

Not to resurrect this thread, but I'm not sure my question warrants a new thread and half of my dilemma deals with the DD long arm so, here goes;

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these two packages:
EVO MANUFACTURING JK ENFORCER PRO STAGE 1: http://www.northridge4x4.com/evo-manufacturing-jk-enforcer-pro-stage-1-evo-201-1
EVO MANUFACTURING JK 4 INCH DOUBLED BOLT ON LONG ARM KIT: http://www.northridge4x4.com/evo-manufacturing-jk-4-inch-doubled-bolt-on-long-arm-kit-evo1084

My application is a '14 JKU that I primarily want for serious rock crawling, with the secondary desire to (eventually) have it do the faster stuff too (i.e. upgrade to DTD/evolever).

I would be running either package with a 37" tire.

By the time I add in the shocks that don't come with the LA, the price diff between the two is similar enough. So what I'm more concerned about is:
1. How much of either kit will survive the transition to DTD in the future
2. Which kit will better suit me even if DTD never comes to fruition and I'm happy just crawling.

Assertions I am looking to confirm or understand better based on my research:
1. LA vs. SA aside, limiting factor is the shocks as far as travel. Either kit is engineered for a potential 14", but Enforcer Pro advertises 12" of travel on the Kings. If I go with the LA kit and pair it up with some Fox 2.0 shocks, I can get them in 11" travel, so between the two configurations (12" on SA/Enforcer Pro or 11" on LA/DD) there would only be 1" of travel difference, is this correct?
2. The coilovers from the enforcer pro would....not(?) survive the transition to a DTD/EvoLever?
3. Do at least the front coilover shock mounts / bracketry survive moving to DTD? EvoLever is obviously completely diff.

Hopefully you see what I'm getting at- my gut is telling me that the LA kit is the better initial investment if the for-sure plan is to go DTD in the future since it seems like all the control arms would be reused, and the loss of the springs and cheaper shocks won't be as severe as ditching the kings. On the other hand, the enforcer pro seems like the better all-around investment that would still do decently on the fast stuff if I decide not to upgrade to DTD in the furture...

Am I looking at this right? Over complicating it? :icon_crazy:

Am I looking at this right? Over complicating it? :icon_crazy:

Nothing really survives - except control arms - Maybe a better way to look at this is IF DTD is what you want end state - Then "what do I need to get there" then do the things that work with you current setup. There is no mention of axles in your post just DTD - new axles will require all sorts of new things and will allow you to enjoy your DTD.

The bolt on kit with the long arms will be a nice capable setup that will do you well if you never do another thing.

Last edited:

iRonin

Nothing really survives - except control arms - Maybe a better way to look at this is IF DTD is what you want end state - Then "what do I need to get there" then do the things that work with you current setup. There is no mention of axles in your post just DTD - new axles will require all sorts of new things and will allow you to enjoy your DTD.

The bolt on kit with the long arms will be a nice capable setup that will do you well if you never do another thing.

Thanks branman, I did omit the other components on purpose for brevity but along with either kit I already have a pr44 earmarked for the front, and have already upgraded my other steering components in anticipation (track bar, tie rod) .
I was indeed leaning on the LA kit as I feared not much from the pro would make it, this helps solidify the decision. :beer:

Edit: Turns out that with the wayalife discount, it's actually $20 cheaper for me to get the enforcer pro since the discount doesn't apply to the separate shocks with the LA kit. :idontknow: So I suppose at that point it's down to sacrificing a smoother ride on pavement to gain 1" additional travel and a cleaner coilover system with a much nicer set of kings :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom