Radiator fluid level going down and trans fluid level going up

wjtstudios

Hooked
IMG_1877.jpg

I haven’t started drinking, yet..,

One on the left is the old (1 month and 2k) the one on the right is new.

Engine oil is right at the same mark it always is.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Any issues with slippage? I think the only part of that system that holds enough fluid to make it jump that much is the torque converter. Wonder if you have a pump issue.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
Any issues with slippage? I think the only part of that system that holds enough fluid to make it jump that much is the torque converter. Wonder if you have a pump issue.

None, runs perfect

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
I went back to square one, and I’ll keep better numbers on this one. I pulled 3.25 quarts out with a vacuum pump thru the dip stick hole until it it wouldn’t get any more fluid out. I’ve added 2 quarts and 10 oz back in, brought it up to the 168 degree mark where it always holds and it is holding right at the top hot hole when I checked it In Neutral. Running and shifting fine.

I’ll keep watching it and see what it does. If it weren’t for the boiling over and pulling all of that additional fluid out incident that started this whole issue, I would have thought anything of it this evening. Now I guess we wait and see what happens over the next couple thousand miles and see if it repeats itself or if I had added to much back in the last time after pulling so much out. The good thing is it is still running perfectly fine. The bad is the truck arrives this week and it’ll be next summer before I put a couple thousand miles back on it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

JKbrick

I went back to square one, and I’ll keep better numbers on this one. I pulled 3.25 quarts out with a vacuum pump thru the dip stick hole until it it wouldn’t get any more fluid out. I’ve added 2 quarts and 10 oz back in, brought it up to the 168 degree mark where it always holds and it is holding right at the top hot hole when I checked it In Neutral. Running and shifting fine.

I’ll keep watching it and see what it does. If it weren’t for the boiling over and pulling all of that additional fluid out incident that started this whole issue, I would have thought anything of it this evening. Now I guess we wait and see what happens over the next couple thousand miles and see if it repeats itself or if I had added to much back in the last time after pulling so much out. The good thing is it is still running perfectly fine. The bad is the truck arrives this week and it’ll be next summer before I put a couple thousand miles back on it.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Well, the truck arriving isn’t completely bad news, third times a keeper

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Noble Woodsman

I think the two problems are unrelated. The trans fluid and engine coolant have separate dedicated radiators on the 2015 jkur, and it is unlikely you have any mixing of fluids, given the normal trans behavior. I noticed when i first got my 2015 jkur that it evaporated coolant faster than I expected leading to low coolant levels which apparently happens with these rigs, even when running normal engine temps - maybe this is what you're experiencing.

Regarding the transmission fluid boiling, have you checked for mud or leaves in the radiator fins obstructing airflow? Strange things happen to oil when it boils, which might explain the unusual fluid levels after.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Seems kind of dark for only 2000 miles.

I agree.
If the stealership did a transmission service with the pan dropped, filter, change, torque converter drain down, and pumped the lines up to the cooler and back, the fluid would be nearly the same color. When you draw fluid thru the dip stick tube, you pull from the pan and may pick up some of the clutch wear “paste” on the bottom of the pan, and that could tint the fluid you draw. That tells me the pan was not cleaned and, probably, they didn’t drain down the torque converter.
I would find a good transmission shop and have them check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wjtstudios

Hooked
I agree.
If the stealership did a transmission service with the pan dropped, filter, change, torque converter drain down, and pumped the lines up to the cooler and back, the fluid would be nearly the same color. When you draw fluid thru the dip stick tube, you pull from the pan and may pick up some of the clutch wear “paste” on the bottom of the pan, and that could tint the fluid you draw. That tells me the pan was not cleaned and, probably, they didn’t drain down the torque converter.

Yeah, I agree. That’s my fear. Probably what I’ll end up doing to make sure everything is good.

Thanks coop!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think the two problems are unrelated. The trans fluid and engine coolant have separate dedicated radiators on the 2015 jkur, and it is unlikely you have any mixing of fluids, given the normal trans behavior. I noticed when i first got my 2015 jkur that it evaporated coolant faster than I expected leading to low coolant levels which apparently happens with these rigs, even when running normal engine temps - maybe this is what you're experiencing.

Regarding the transmission fluid boiling, have you checked for mud or leaves in the radiator fins obstructing airflow? Strange things happen to oil when it boils, which might explain the unusual fluid levels after.

Yeah, I’m pretty obsessive about keeping everything clean. On top of that the high temps and boiling over occurred a few months after the radiator swap. Based off Coops point, I think they over filled it at the service when they did not do it properly causing it to run hot and that changed how the fluid behaved.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I agree.

A flush can be done without having to drop the pan. Simply flushing the old fluid out thru the dipstick is fine. When it’s done tho the engine must be running to make sure that as much of the old fluid is extracted.

For example I did a flush yesterday on a 6l80. We charge out 15qt of fluid even tho it only holds about 10. Suck out what you can of the fluid from the pan, add same amount of new fluid, start motor and continuously suck out old and add same amount of new fluid. During this your only going to get maybe 90-95% of the old fluid out. It’s never gonna be perfect just like when you do an oil change.

Even doing a filter change and flush is still going to yield the same results. Your never gonna get all the old fluid out.

wjtstudios

Hooked
A flush can be done without having to drop the pan. Simply flushing the old fluid out thru the dipstick is fine. When it’s done tho the engine must be running to make sure that as much of the old fluid is extracted.

For example I did a flush yesterday on a 6l80. We charge out 15qt of fluid even tho it only holds about 10. Suck out what you can of the fluid from the pan, add same amount of new fluid, start motor and continuously suck out old and add same amount of new fluid. During this your only going to get maybe 90-95% of the old fluid out. It’s never gonna be perfect just like when you do an oil change.

Even doing a filter change and flush is still going to yield the same results. Your never gonna get all the old fluid out.

I did it without the engine running which explains only getting the 3 or so quarts. Supposedly I had the dealer drop the pan and change the filter during the service. I’m now questioning if that was actually occurred.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I did it without the engine running which explains only getting the 3 or so quarts. Supposedly I had the dealer drop the pan and change the filter during the service. I’m now questioning if that was actually occurred.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Even if they dropped the pan and changed the filter they are not getting it all out. The Torque converter holds 2-3 quarts alone. Plus there will still be some fluid sitting around in the case that didn’t drain and whatever was in the lines. If they did a flush service as well then it should be clearer than what you grabbed but like I said, even then your only going to get it maybe 95% clean.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Even if they dropped the pan and changed the filter they are not getting it all out. The Torque converter holds 2-3 quarts alone. Plus there will still be some fluid sitting around in the case that didn’t drain and whatever was in the lines. If they did a flush service as well then it should be clearer than what you grabbed but like I said, even then your only going to get it maybe 95% clean.

Good point. I’ll take it in to a trans shop as I’m shutting it down for a bit. I’ll have them do a full flush and filter and get all that fluid out from when it boiled over.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Primo82

Caught the Bug
View attachment 336416

I haven’t started drinking, yet..,

One on the left is the old (1 month and 2k) the one on the right is new.

Engine oil is right at the same mark it always is.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I had a ford fusion that gained tranny fluid and the fluid looked black, kinda like the stuff on the lift in these pics. It was a master control valve body going out which somehow caused the tranny fluid to burn. I think when the oil chains break down it gains fluid volume. It may not be your valve body, I'm wondering if any fluid overheating starts that breakdown process. Hope this helps.

Edit: In addition, my transmission was shifting late and randomly down shifting, etc. But not consistently. Have you had any shifting issues?

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I had a ford fusion that gained tranny fluid and the fluid looked black, kinda like the stuff on the lift in these pics. It was a master control valve body going out which somehow caused the tranny fluid to burn. I think when the oil chains break down it gains fluid volume. It may not be your valve body, I'm wondering if any fluid overheating starts that breakdown process. Hope this helps.

Edit: In addition, my transmission was shifting late and randomly down shifting, etc. But not consistently. Have you had any shifting issues?

Thank you, it does. It’s exactly what I think lead up to this point. I think the dealership overfilled the trans at the service which caused it to heat up and break down the fluid causing it to expand and boil over. After talking with Coz, I’m taking it to a trans shop. I’m done messing around with it.

No shifting issues at all. Always ran smooth.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Thank you, it does. It’s exactly what I think lead up to this point. I think the dealership overfilled the trans at the service which caused it to heat up and break down the fluid causing it to expand and boil over. After talking with Coz, I’m taking it to a trans shop. I’m done messing around with it.

No shifting issues at all. Always ran smooth.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Cool, I hadn't followed every post in this thread but that pic was really familiar. I'd keep an eye on it after they service shop 'fixes' the issue. I don't know if the over pressurization can mess with the valve body or any other components... I'd personally want to make sure after the levels were corrected the fluid was not still burning/growing. If it is that shop would be on the hook for repairs... Cheers, good luck!

Top Bottom