RH 4x4 Sport Cage vs Evo Chromoly Sport Cage

Rocralr

I have the RH with some of their accessories and I love it. No wind noise. I just raised the seat and look over the front bar. I am short and I have no problem seeing.

RyanHanley

I heard that both cages makes your automatic lights not come on since it blocks it not sure how true this is but was curious if others have ran into this problem?

TheGrendel

I heard that both cages makes your automatic lights not come on since it blocks it not sure how true this is but was curious if others have ran into this problem?

I did see someone mention that they made a circular cut out on the Evo sport cage for the sensor.

fiend

Caught the Bug
No wind noise that I've noticed with the RH kit. You may have to notch out the Freedom Panels where the knuckle attaches to the factory bar a tad. I had to do that on one side. Looks like the EVO kit fits just fine too.

EDIT: Note - something to watch for if you are running a hardtop and looking at the RH kit: Be sure to not overtighten the knuckles on the top crossbar. I did and it pinched the windshield frame just enough that it caused my freedom tops to leak air. It was so bad I had to use black Gorilla Tape to cut the wind from getting in. Pissed me off so much I took the damn top off & now only run the soft top. (Wish I would have done that from the beginning anyways.)

View attachment 308331

I added a rock hard cage recently and seem to have the issue you describe. The freedom top panels don’t quite fit any more and it looks like the top cage bar may be bowing the windshield slightly. Did you figure out a solution (besides switching to the soft top)?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I added a rock hard cage recently and seem to have the issue you describe. The freedom top panels don’t quite fit any more and it looks like the top cage bar may be bowing the windshield slightly. Did you figure out a solution (besides switching to the soft top)?

Nope, I never did. Pisser isn't it? I think once it's bowed that's it. I even tried loosening the knuckles but that didn't work either. I ended up applying black Gorilla tape over the edges of the windshield frame & top to keep my sanity. Looked stupid but it worked.

JKbrick

No wind noise that I've noticed with the RH kit. You may have to notch out the Freedom Panels where the knuckle attaches to the factory bar a tad. I had to do that on one side. Looks like the EVO kit fits just fine too.

EDIT: Note - something to watch for if you are running a hardtop and looking at the RH kit: Be sure to not overtighten the knuckles on the top crossbar. I did and it pinched the windshield frame just enough that it caused my freedom tops to leak air. It was so bad I had to use black Gorilla Tape to cut the wind from getting in. Pissed me off so much I took the damn top off & now only run the soft top. (Wish I would have done that from the beginning anyways.)

View attachment 308331

Just talked to Bubba about a RH cage, what would you do with this from the get go now?

Ddays

Hooked
Just talked to Bubba about a RH cage, what would you do with this from the get go now?

I'd take a really accurate measurement of the top of the frame somewhere and make sure you don't pinch it any.As long as the knuckles of the windshield bar are tight on the factory roll bar you should be good. If it does leak I guess that would be a good excuse for a nice soft top!

rogerk93

I’m a little confused I have a rock hard cage with a hard top and have no problems, I had to cut some of the freedom panels on the inside where it was hitting the knuckle but that’s all and you can’t even see it as the knuckle covers it.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I'd take a really accurate measurement of the top of the frame somewhere and make sure you don't pinch it any.As long as the knuckles of the windshield bar are tight on the factory roll bar you should be good. If it does leak I guess that would be a good excuse for a nice soft top!

I’m thinking I might try shimming one or both of the collars on the upper cross bar, adding a little length, and see if that helps.

Thankfully I don’t live in a place with a lot of rain or snow, but I do want my hardtop not to leak and whistle.

Gobicon2017

Dammmm. Wish I would have seen this post sooner. Finished up my RH install last night and have a little wind noise in the drivers side [emoji23]. Guess I’ll try to loosen and adjust if possible. As far as ease of install not too bad, let’s just say it was good the kids weren’t around to pick up all the FU:&/‘s. Lol. I would do the Rh again. IMG_0143.JPG

Ddays

Hooked
I’m a little confused I have a rock hard cage with a hard top and have no problems, I had to cut some of the freedom panels on the inside where it was hitting the knuckle but that’s all and you can’t even see it as the knuckle covers it.

I'm sure I over-tightened mine. I did have to hit one side with a dremel just a bit to knock down where the top was just rubbing.

I’m thinking I might try shimming one or both of the collars on the upper cross bar, adding a little length, and see if that helps.

Thankfully I don’t live in a place with a lot of rain or snow, but I do want my hardtop not to leak and whistle.

Hopefully that'll do the trick. I don't know how in the hell you'd be able to un-bow the windshield frame. That'd be pretty tricky without going too far the other way.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I'm sure I over-tightened mine. I did have to hit one side with a dremel just a bit to knock down where the top was just rubbing.

Hopefully that'll do the trick. I don't know how in the hell you'd be able to un-bow the windshield frame. That'd be pretty tricky without going too far the other way.

Yeah. I’ll try it when I have time and report back.

JKbrick

Was the cross bar sloppy as in it seemed too short before you tightened the knuckle? Wondering if or how to shim it first

Ddays

Hooked
Was the cross bar sloppy as in it seemed too short before you tightened the knuckle? Wondering if or how to shim it first

No, it wasn't sloppy, I just tightened it so the gaps were even on the knuckles. I didn't think I was overdoing it, but its easy to do that with the three screws on each knuckle. If you get it tight and then stop you should be fine.

Exodus 4x4

If it does leak I guess that would be a good excuse for a nice soft top!

Mark, I forgot to mention this. Yes it will probably end up with some form of noise or leak. IMO a soft top is the best solution. All the issues should go away IF it’s a good quality soft top.

That being said, just about any of the cages are going to tweak the a-pillar enough to cause this. Exception being Poison Spyder because it doesn’t tie to the a-pillar unless you make it tie in. I’ve done it and it’s pretty nice, but it takes a little fab work so not really a 100% bolt in. Not hard, but takes patience.

Ddays

Hooked
Besttop just gave an easy fix for the guys out there with leakers. They just posted this Freedom Top Buyback deal on their website.
The Sunrider ends up costing $200 after they give you the Visa gift card. Not a bad deal and it solves the leaking/air issue.

https://www.bestop.com/national-buy-back

Top Bottom