PLEASE - DO NOT Post Up GPS Coordinates or Trail Directions on WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've posted things before that would violate this new rule. It didnt bother me much, but of course I respect the rule and intend to abide..

Then I read this today

Short version: some jackass drove out on the racetrack playa in Death Valley and not only left tire tracks everywhere, actually defaced one or more of the rocks. WTF, man.

I'm so upset about this. As an avid off-roader, and avid photographer, it is just boggling my mind how someone could be so selfish and disrespectful and have such a complete lack of awareness.

I feel like I should apologize for my previous lax attitude towards the whole thing. Never again. :mad:

W...T... F... some asshat actually went around the signs and barriers at the Racetrack playa and did laps around the Grandstand?! I so hate people :mad:

Please note that this isn't so much a new rule as it is a personal request that I always make. I know I can't stop all the jackasses out there from doing shit like this and ruining things for everyone but I'll be damned if my website is used to help them along.

boardsurfer

Please note that this isn't so much a new rule as it is a personal request that I always make. I know I can't stop all the jackasses out there from doing shit like this and ruining things for everyone but I'll be damned if my website is used to help them along.

I understand, and I'm completely on board.

JWT

Amen Brother Eddie, it's like telling everybody where your favorite fishing spot is. You just don't do it!

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I agree 100% we have a number of structures that have now been destroyed. Sad that I can't take my children to see them, only in pictures now.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Those of us who live and wheel in the State of Colorado have seen our precious ghost towns and history vandalized and burned by uninformed idiots. Nature will eventually reclaim these places and they will become only sites.
We were wheeling near Ouray last week when we decided to take a short side trip near Ridgeway to visit the local favorite Deb's Meadow where the climactic shootout between John Wayne (Rooster Cogburn Pic#2) and Robert Duval (Ned Pepper and his gang Pic#1) was filmed. We called it the "Fill your hand you son of a bitch!" tour. You would not believe how many people have carved their initials inside hearts on the beautiful Aspen trees that surround the meadow. I don't know about anyone else but it felt like scared ground to me. Most folks who want to hit great trails in this State can do what most of us have done, their own research. I'm guilty of posting directions but didn't really think anyone would do asinine things we've all seen on the trail. I'm OK with this thread's reminders.
DebsMed1.jpg
DebsMed2.jpg

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately, so many of these idiots ARE the parents.

How true. The entitlement generation is even worse. I just want to slap some peolpe ...... or worse.

I think my parents raised me right, i raised my son right, and i am helping steer my grandkids right. Then their are my Army kids I try to lead right.

JDalcour

Unfortunate but understandable. Coming from New Mexico I can relate. Their are alot of Hieroglyphic stones in the desert, which have been shot up and destroyed, so alot of photographers and locals keep them on the down low. Sad its come to this.

I totally agree. And I think the best way to combat this problem is to continue to grow the offroad/Jeeping community. The more people that become almost obsessed with preserving these places, the better the chances we will have of keeping them around for future generations.

:thumb:

Mwhcherokee1

I totally agree. And I think the best way to combat this problem is to continue to grow the offroad/Jeeping community. The more people that become almost obsessed with preserving these places, the better the chances we will have of keeping them around for future generations.

:thumb:

I am in total agreement.... I live in the Midwest/Illinois and I know it's not Colorado but it has its beauty as well. So much vandalism and disrespect for what Mother Nature has given us, if it doesn't stop there will not be anything for future generations, starting with my kids and so and so on.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jmedgar

Couldn't agree more

I do a large amount of my exploring on motorcycles and it seems everyone wants a GPS file for every trail. Get out and explore! Part of the fun its the challenge of finding areas and figuring them out. I have spent countless hours finding good trails when I have moved to a new location. The days spent totally turned around and confused are some of the most memorable. Just like most things people are not wiling to put in the work for the reward.

Kalums

I've never used a GPS to hit the trails. For 2 reasons
1) I can't stand them because even in this day and age they are still not very accurate, unless you buy the ridiculously expensive ones.
2) Um it's called exploring, not that much fun to me having a little box tell me I'm "wrong" all the time.

Just my 0.02

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cody Hutchison

I understand the idea and think its amazing specially not handing out coord to just anyone but some are refusing to take them out and show the trails in person which I completely disagree with. I wasnt fortunate enough to grow up in the mounts, forests, or deserts exploring like a lot of you but instead started on my own when I left home. It deeply hurts me the fact that you wouldn't show someone specially someone who isnt local hurts. I just returned from a 4 year stint in the UK where anyone that Off-roads or there green lanes is highly frowned upon. If it wasn't for some of the more experienced people there showing, teaching, and correcting us I wouldve probably gotten in trouble for making a left where I wasnt suppose to. So maybe taking out some of the younger people to a well known trail 1st to see how they act and how they to being corrected instead of just refusing to take only people you know closely is a good idea. Thats what I have done in the UK and was highly successful and hoping to find someone to show me trails here in florida and explore myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I understand the idea and think its amazing specially not handing out coord to just anyone but some are refusing to take them out and show the trails in person which I completely disagree with. I wasnt fortunate enough to grow up in the mounts, forests, or deserts exploring like a lot of you but instead started on my own when I left home. It deeply hurts me the fact that you wouldn't show someone specially someone who isnt local hurts. I just returned from a 4 year stint in the UK where anyone that Off-roads or there green lanes is highly frowned upon. If it wasn't for some of the more experienced people there showing, teaching, and correcting us I wouldve probably gotten in trouble for making a left where I wasnt suppose to. So maybe taking out some of the younger people to a well known trail 1st to see how they act and how they to being corrected instead of just refusing to take only people you know closely is a good idea. Thats what I have done in the UK and was highly successful and hoping to find someone to show me trails here in florida and explore myself.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but if someone refused to take you out and show you some trails, perhaps the problem is you. Certainly, there are plenty of people I've met over the years that I would never want them to know about the places I could take them to and I couldn't care less about how that would make them feel. Of course, none of that has anything to do with posting up coordinates here on WAYALIFE. In case you missed it, that was the point of me starting this thread.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I couldn't agree more. I kinda reminds me of riding my motorcycle. I love heading out on the road coming to a turn and asking my wife "left or right? She'll randomly pic a direction and we always end up finding a gem in the middle of nowhere. I'm really looking forward to doing the same on the Jeep.

BobNH

Great idea and agreed, sad it actually has to be posted. My local forum has a mapping section that only known and vouched for members can see and participate in, and trail and road names and locations can openly and safely be discussed away from those not part of it, and from the ease of a google search. All of what we use is on maps of some kind somewhere, but making it more difficult to find seems to have helped, at least in our minds, because as you have seen out your way, the asshats will still find it. Ours are hard enough to find that it is more often the drunk locals.
I also use a lot of the public roads used by the Jeep Jamboree another overland outfit, and I can say those groups seem to be very respectful, and friends of mine that guide say the same, and it doesn't lead to trail overuse or misuse.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom