Trails that are 1.5 Hours or Less from Your Home

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can't confirm for around the Springs but for the Denver area here is a quick list depending on traffic it might take a little over 2 hours:

Is it really so hard for people to read and follow instructions? :naw:

Perhaps I should just Remove Colorado from places that can be listed. Clearly, you guys have soooooo many trails 1.5 hours or less from your home that nothing there is even worth mentioning.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Is it really so hard for people to read and follow instructions? :naw:

Perhaps I should just Remove Colorado from places that can be listed. Clearly, you guys have soooooo many trails 1.5 hours or less from your home that nothing there is even worth mentioning.

Sorry, I am at work and spent enough time removing the hyperlinks from all those trails as you asked that we don't post GPS locations or maps. If it makes you happy I can add all the mileage, route times and post pictures of several of those that I ran over the summer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I am at work and spent enough time removing the hyperlinks from all those trails as you asked that we don't post GPS locations or maps. If it makes you happy I can add all the mileage, route times and post pictures of several of those that I ran over the summer.

Not sure how copying names from TrailDamage would have pasted hyperlinks, GPS coordinates and maps with them but, okay. I've been to and wheeled Colorado and I know you guys think very highly about how many trails you think you have but you've been smoking way too much of your own dope if you really think that ALL of them are within 1.5 hours of your homes. All I'm saying is that if there really are "too many to mention", I suppose they aren't worth mentioning at all. That being said, yes, it would be great if you or anyone else could please post up trails, how far it is from your home and how long it takes to get there ALONG WITH a photo of your Jeep on that trail.

WJCO

Meme King
From Boulder, Colorado, here's a few that are close by.

Middle St Vrain, Moderate for around here, lots of rocks, a couple obstacles, several water crossings.
29 miles, about 45 minutes away.

IMG_20160813_103826826.jpg

Coney Flats
32 miles, about 45 minutes away. A couple obstacles, lots of rocks, pretty views, large water crossing.

c2.jpg

Brt Rd
30 miles, about 45 minutes away. Very easy, one obstacle, more of a dirt road, some pretty views.

camp (2) - Copy.JPG

Kingston Peak
52 miles, about 1.5 hours exactly. Pretty easy but high elevation. Amazing views. A couple of long steep inclines with loose rock.

DSC04087c.jpg

Old Fall River Rd in RMNP
45 miles, a little over an hour to get there. Very easy but lots of switchbacks and slow speed. It's only one way (uphill). Great views and wildlife with a visitor center at the top.

DSC04022.jpg

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Springfield, Mo

SMORR - 45min
You could spend all day there and not run out of trails. Great park, expect to break things :)
SMORR.jpg

Glade Top - Mark Twain National Forest - 1hr 25min
The trail itself isn't the great part, it's all the no-name side trails to the north and south. Easily a multiple day place, plus it's a National Forest so it's free dispersed camping!
North:
GladeTopNorth1.jpg
South:
GladeTopSouth.jpg

boardsurfer

Measured from my place in SE Denver

Yankee Hill
~45 Miles, 1Hr.
Easy trail, lots of spurs to explore, usually pretty crowded. Great view of St. Mary's Glacier at the west end.

GfIUKCJ.jpg

Pickle Gulch
~45 Miles, 1 Hr.
A couple challenging climbs, lots of flexy spots. Fairly short trail, but one of my favorite "short notice" kinda trails.

xQfDG0M.jpg

Kingston Peak
60 Miles, 1 Hr 15.
Probably the closest trail to the city that will get you above 11,000 feet. Not a difficult trail, but the views are always worth it.

gCOURQq.jpg

Red Elephant Hill
47 Miles, 58 minutes
Excellent trail to connect to a few others. Steady climbing and off camber all the way.

X6t2xwO.jpg

Bill Moore Lake
50 Miles, 1 Hr.
Another trail that is all about the views.

ofNJg6i.jpg

Spring Creek
47 Miles, 58 minutes
One of the tougher trails this close to the city. Bring your A game. I dont have any pics of me, so here's one I took of H8ROADS. That counts right? :D

fhAciuZ.jpg

McClellan Mountain
54 Miles, 1 hour, 5 minutes
A few rocky spots, a few water crossings and a 13,130' view that will take your breath away.

rD1CUDL.jpg

Red Cone
60 Miles, 1.5 hours
This is one of my once-yearly (at least) requirements. Driving straight up to the peak of a mountain like this is really something else. 12,800' and straight down on all sides. This picture does nothing for the trail, but its all I have with my Jeep in it. :D

5SkPyzc.jpg

Radical Hill
(Connects to Red Cone)
Hope you like shelf roads. Not much room for error here.

34oZJfl.jpg

Twin Cone
67 miles, 1.5 hours
Somewhat mild trail aside from one climb that is steep, long, and loose. Again with the views, though.

4fsZjKe.jpg

^^ We were not nearly prepared for that trip to Twin Cone. Left the doors at home, we weren't nearly dressed properly, and as soon as we started down the rain unleashed a holy hell on us. Pretty miserable drive home. Lesson learned there.

Last edited:

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Well I have been to pine Barron's once and I was bored stiff. Can't stand the sand holes. Now a days people are putting spikes in the water there to mess with people vehicles. Even more of a reason to not go ever again.

Don't blame for not mentioning the pine barrens. It's more of a place to get away than to trail ride. The spikes in the water holes is a false myth. Actually, the holes are gradually being filled in so forest rangers can pass through. Even more boring now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Wharton St. Forest (a.k.a. the pine barrens)
About 8 miles and 12 minutes from home.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the pine barrens are fairly boring. Sandy fire roads with the occasional water hole. There is hundreds of miles of trails so it is easy to get lost. And if you know where to go you can have some fun...for nj that is. IMG_0033.JPG

This is a friend attempting a water hole. Not for me.
IMG_0014.JPG

Recent winter ride.
IMG_0492.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Live in Port Orchard, WA. Places I've gone within 1.5 hours include:

Tahuya, Wa. 20 miles. Easy to moderate trails that will have you flex a little bit and squeeze between trees at times. There's a few rock gardens for a challenge. IMG_3965.jpg

Elbe Hills, Wa. 65 miles. Only been once and it was snow packed and difficult. 15 minute trail took 3 hours to complete. Would like to go back this spring. Talking to the locals, they say there are many challenging trails like Busy Wild full of mud. IMG_3785.jpg

Evans Creek is 64 miles away and I have not made it out there yet. Closed for the winter. Other places just outside the limit include Walker Valley ORV park and the Naches Trail system which is a blast.

longarmwj

I live in Cumming, Georgia. From my garage there are a few pretty decent trails. To find anything super tough you gotta go out of state, but here are my favorite local wheeling spots.

Trey Mountain. 47 miles/1 hour 3 minutes
Pretty easy trail that goes up Trey Mountain just north of Helen. A couple of cool ruts and a neat waterfall

Sheep Wallow. 19 miles/27 minutes
Washed out and sloppy un-maintained county road. Everything from mild to wild and near impassible after it's rained.

Dawson Forest. 9.5 miles/19 minutes
This one is really cool. It's all dirt roads that a prius could even do, but it's the history behind it. Back in the 1950s, the government wanted to test the possibility of an aircraft that was nuclear powered, so the city of Atlanta sold them a large portion of land in Dawson County Georgia (which is also where NASCAR started) to build a testing facility on it. Most of the facility was underground, and you can still find the old entrance to it. There are also multiple abandoned buildings and water pump housings that you can see. The buildings are closed off to access but the water pump housings you can still enter. You can also visit the base of the nuclear reactor that they built, and the lake that was built to cool it. After may years it was deemed safe to the public to enter and the county turned it in to a public wildlife land with plenty of dirt roads to explore. If people are interested I'll go up there tomorrow and get some pictures and make a thread on it.

Black Moose. 5.8 miles/10 minutes
This one is pretty cool too. It's owned by an Australian guy who bought the land to turn into a park for himself and his friends. You gotta know somebody to go, and thankfully I know the person I need to to gain access. Everything from mild to straight up wild here and one of the most fun places in the North Georgia area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom