Hooked
Whole bunch of greatness in that post! [emoji1303]

Awesome pictures! Looks like a great weekend [emoji106]

Wow I gotta check that place out . As others said Jeep looks [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice!.......

Sweet action!

That’s awesome!! That’s a great area up there. Looks like you had a good time. 🤙

Thanks!

Nice pictures, looks like a fun weekend. Is that your boat?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! No, not mine... it’s my Old Mans Pontoon boat.

TrailHunter

Hooked
A few months ago, when I pulled the shafts to install ball joints.... the axle was tilted slightly to passenger... and during the install some gear oil got into the tube... Since then I’ve been seeing some oil on the C & pavement when parked at an angle. So I’m doing a test to see if the seal was damaged...

Yesterday I lifted one side to drain the rest out. And today I topped off the Diff with fluid. Fingers Crossed.

IMG_1528.jpg

TrailHunter

Hooked
So my passenger side axle seal has continued to leak slightly over the last couple months... Not convinced the seal is bad, I decided to pull it all apart and re-install without the plastic guides. I figured either those damn plastic guides caused a problem or dirt got on the seal. And since I’m pulling everything apart... I decided to install some Chromoly shafts and new Unit bearings... Even though there is only 16k miles on the bearings... the Jeep has been feeling a little flighty.

One of the guides was clearly chewed up.
IMG_1780.jpg

I cleaned both tubes and the seals with a shop towel taped to the old Jeep antennae.

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

I went with Carbon Offroad Shafts and Spicer Unit Bearings.

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

I felt zero play in the old bearings... but with the new bearings the Jeep feels solid again and tracks great without the flighty feeling. There must have been slight movement in the bearing under the load of the Jeep... And so far, no leaks at the axle tubes. [emoji1417]

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I thought Eddie said in video he only carries the stub shaft because it’s the most likely to snap. I have no problem carrying both for me or someone else...

You could. But I would rather carry a rear shaft if anything. I’ve broken fronts. Just pull it and drive home or off the trail. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Yup! Do you carry the long shaft too or just the short shaft in your Jeep? (Not gay)

I would carry both.
That's what I did until I used one up. They will fit under the back seat, out of sight, out of mind.

What’s the point in carrying one? You just hope you have the right spare if you break one? I would carry both or neither.

That's what I said, so on the last Rubicon trip, since I only had one, I left it home. The one I had at home is the one I broke.

Thankfully Dan bailed me out. 2/3s of the Rubicon with 3 wheel drive would not have been a good time for anyone in the group.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would carry both.
That's what I did until I used one up. They will fit under the back seat, out of sight, out of mind.

That's what I said, so on the last Rubicon trip, since I only had one, I left it home. The one I had at home is the one I broke.

Thankfully Dan bailed me out. 2/3s of the Rubicon with 3 wheel drive would not have been a good time for anyone in the group.

Turn around and go out the way you came in.

Last edited:

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I thought Eddie said in video he only carries the stub shaft because it’s the most likely to snap. I have no problem carrying both for me or someone else...

Jerry broke the driver side shaft on the Rubicon . Would carry both . I strap them down in front of the tuffy behind the rear seats . Heavy but don’t even notice them

Awesome work.

Top Bottom