Engine Fire 2008 JKUR

Noble Woodsman

Glad you weren’t hurt. I know somebody mentioned coolant is not flammable, I used to think so too. A few years ago we had a military wrecker catch fire and burn to the ground, I was not there at the time, but on lookers said the coolant was burning. I thought that was BS. The fire investigator listed the fire as a coolant leak that was ignited from spraying on to exhaust.

View attachment 324218

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This may be true in the case of military vehicles, but likely not relevant to this situation. Many military vehicles, such as those made by Oshkosh, utilize a single fluid for gear oil, engine oil, and i think coolant as well. This allows simpler maintenance in the field, but also means the coolant may be flammable. The antifreeze used in civilian jeeps is water-borne and not flammable.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

pop2tu

This may be true in the case of military vehicles, but likely not relevant to this situation. Many military vehicles, such as those made by Oshkosh, utilize a single fluid for gear oil, engine oil, and i think coolant as well. This allows simpler maintenance in the field, but also means the coolant may be flammable. The antifreeze used in civilian jeeps is water-borne and not flammable.

The Antifreeze used in military vehicles such as the wrecker, and every other military vehicle I have been licensed to drive, have used a 50/50 mixture of water and a ethylene glycol antifreeze. We use the same coolant in all wheeled military vehicles

Noble Woodsman

The Antifreeze used in military vehicles such as the wrecker, and every other military vehicle I have been licensed to drive, have used a 50/50 mixture of water and a ethylene glycol antifreeze. We use the same coolant in all wheeled military vehicles

Cool. I wasnt sure about the antifreeze, so thanks for the clarification!

G-mansjk

The only vehicle I've seen that calls for flammable coolant/ antifreeze in my time wrenching is a 54 international t340 crawler that calls for kerosene or ethanol for conditions under 40 degrees... everything modern from over the road to military calls for ethylene glycol and water mix on later vehicles.

That's right I'm a window licker, I can't spell, my grammar sucks!!!!

G-mansjk

I was a wrench for 5 years in the army and never saw anything other than modern coolant in anything besides air cooled engines like snowmobiles or atv's
The only vehicle I've seen that calls for flammable coolant/ antifreeze in my time wrenching is a 54 international t340 crawler that calls for kerosene or ethanol for conditions under 40 degrees... everything modern from over the road to military calls for ethylene glycol and water mix on later vehicles.

bumbie

My 2013 with 101k has a small gas leak next to the oil filter. The hard plastic tubing has several small cracks at the fitting to the fuel rail. I smelled faint odor of gas on start up. Nothing during driving...would smell again if stopped at stop light. I've found several threads with the same problem. Already tried to repair, but won't hold the pressure. I also question the integrity of the rest of the same old fuel line. Probably get an OEM fuel line rather than hoping it doesn't leak again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom