Spidertrax Wheel Spacers Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, here in Australia the tyres aren't allowed out of the guards so don't want it to be too obvious but that doesn't look like it sticks out so far that its instantly noticable.

We have the same problem in a lot of states here in America. With these spacers, the tires really aren't out enough to draw any attention.

This is just what I needed!! Thanks Eddie!

1.5" here I come lol

Being that you have an XJ, you could probably get away with a 1" spacer if so desired.

NewJeep4412

We have the same problem in a lot of states here in America. With these spacers, the tires really aren't out enough to draw any attention.

Being that you have an XJ, you could probably get away with a 1" spacer if so desired.

I will take that into consideration. Thanks!

Geodeal

As always excellent write up with photos.

Not only do I like my stock wheels I like my stock tires too.
Just went up to Bakersfield today to buy 100 mile old Rubicon tires from somebody upgrading.
Thanks for the tip, Noah!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I have been somewhat conflicted about a wheel and tire combo to go with a planned 2 1/2" lift. I've settled on a modest 285x70x17 and have been trying to select a good wheel. I like the stockers on my 2012 Rubi but felt they were a tad narrow. Wrong-o!! Spidertrax will fit the bill and the bills in my wallet. Settled. Thanks Eddie!:yup:

ShinDiggity

Noob question... Spidertrax has the 1.5" and a 1.75" wheel spacer available. I have a 3" lift with 33" tires. Can I do the 1.75" spacer for a wider look and still be safe?

chamberlin

For those of you looking for a torque wrench. I will recommend this digital adapter that connects to your standard socket wrench and includes adapters to accommodate 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive. A harbor freight find made by Pittsburg ~ think it was like $30.

That's exactly what I've been using, and for this type of application, it is perfect..... (high-ish torque values and lots of space to use it).

Spider-trax ready to be installed next weekend, thanks again for another great DIY

kaptkrappy

Do you have any pics of how far out the stock wheels will be past the factory flares using these spacers?

Here's mine with 1.5" spacers and stock 17" wheels and the original Goodyear 255/75/17's S-RA's

Before
Before 1.jpg

After
After 1.jpg

You can even see the left rear tire just barely sticking out of the rear flare in the after pic.

dannanjk

which lift

This pic should give you an idea of what it'll look like.

main.php

35x12.50 tires on factory wheels and 1.5" wheel spacers.

I like the look of the stock wheels and I am going to use that 35 tire. My question is what lift do you have on that Jeep. This spacer install write up was very helpful, thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I like the look of the stock wheels and I am going to use that 35 tire. My question is what lift do you have on that Jeep. This spacer install write up was very helpful, thanks

At the time of this pic, we had an Old Man Emu 3" lift installed.

TheDuff

That shouldn't matter, the factory lugs go into counter sunk holes, then new studs extend out on the spacer. But the wider the spacer the more leverage placed onto the axle components

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

hawgincognito

That shouldn't matter, the factory lugs go into counter sunk holes, then new studs extend out on the spacer. But the wider the spacer the more leverage placed onto the axle components

Max wheel spacing suggested? Stock 17s with 35s. Looking into a wider stance without swapping rims.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you will put more strain on things like your axle bearings and flanges but, no more so than a wheel with less backspacing. For the most part, I think you'd be okay up to go to what would equal a wheel with 3.5" of back spacing but then, I personally haven't run anything wider than 1.5".

TheDuff

1.25-1.5 was what was recommended to me for stock moabs and 35s. I have seen 1.75 for sale, but that just seems to be pushing it and probably over kill for the width of a 35. You just want enough so the tires clear everything and u get close to max steering throw before rubbing (no rub would be optimal) but u can pit some washers in the steer stops to cut out a minor rub issue.

hawgincognito

As mentioned, you will put more strain on things like your axle bearings and flanges but, no more so than a wheel with less backspacing. For the most part, I think you'd be okay up to go to what would equal a wheel with 3.5" of back spacing but then, I personally haven't run anything wider than 1.5".

If you haven't run anything beyond 1.5 I shouldn't either.

1.25-1.5 was what was recommended to me for stock moabs and 35s. I have seen 1.75 for sale, but that just seems to be pushing it and probably over kill for the width of a 35. You just want enough so the tires clear everything and u get close to max steering throw before rubbing (no rub would be optimal) but u can pit some washers in the steer stops to cut out a minor rub issue.

Guess ill have to weigh the cost/benefit on where to put my dollars for now.

Thanks for the insight guys.

Top Bottom