Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner...

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Left Milwaukee on the red eye and after a short stop in Denver we made it to Phoenix. Things were going well as all our luggage made it and we skipped the long rental car line with my Budget FastBreak membership only to find out that they didn’t have my Ford Explorer (or equivalent) vehicle. What they did have was a beautiful, brand new JLU Sahara sitting in the first stall right across from the pickup counter. I told the attendant that I would be ok with the substitution and before I knew it, we drove off in this:

IMG_8576.jpg

What’s funny is as we were walking up to the counter, we spotted the Jeep and my wife told my daughter “Watch this, your dad’s going to try and get that Jeep”. They couldn’t believe it when I showed them the key [emoji38].

Ddays

Hooked
That's so awesome! Have a great time out there - I love Arizona. Just got back from Tucson last week - weather out there this time of the year is great!

JK_0311

Welcome to AZ, it’s starting to warm up but still nice in my opinion. What’s your itinerary look like, where are you going to get some dirt on the rental jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
That's so awesome! Have a great time out there - I love Arizona. Just got back from Tucson last week - weather out there this time of the year is great!

We will! Made it to Williams and taking the train to the Grand Canyon.

Great score!

Enjoy it all you can.

The JL is so nice! It has the 3.6, but the 8 speed transmission is a huge improvement! Plenty of zip even in the mountains. I hope to see some dirt later in the week.

Welcome to AZ, it’s starting to warm up but still nice in my opinion. What’s your itinerary look like?

Going to be in Williams and the Grand Canyon for three days. Drive down 89A through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona and then to Phoenix. I hope to run part of the Apache Trail past Tortilla Flat to Fish Creek.

JK_0311

Very nice! If your wife is a wine fan, swing through Page Springs just south-east if Sedona by about 10 minutes. Sedona has some really cool and easy trails that are perfect for a rental

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Drive down 89A through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona and then to Phoenix. I hope to run part of the Apache Trail past Tortilla Flat to Fish Creek.

You're gonna love that drive - its beautiful. Can't wait for the next trip out there

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Took a couple of pictures at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel:

Shay Locomotive

IMG_8580.jpg

2-8-2 Steam Engine

IMG_8585.jpg

Not much else in Williams.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Congrats on the JL!!! Enjoy your trip! Which I’m sure you will [emoji106] oh and enjoy the warm weather lol

Thanks! It’s really nice! The wife wants to take it home, but it doesn’t have heated seats, so that’s a deal breaker.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
If you’re going to the Grand Canyon, the train is a great way to get there!

Luxury Dome Car has a great view, drinks available and live music:

IMG_8622.jpg

Williams in the background as we stood on the platform of the last car:

IMG_8616.jpg

IMG_8620.jpg

View out the dome:

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8623.jpg

After the two hour trip, this was our first view of the Canyon:

IMG_8624.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I won’t bore you with 100’s of photos of the Canyon, because quite frankly, photographs just don’t capture how spectacular this place really is. It’s truly something that you need to see for yourself!

After having some lunch and exploring the Upper Southern Rim, we checked into the Maswik Lodge and boarded our bus for a sunset guided tour.

Millennials get the award for doing stupid shit at the Canyon:

IMG_8644.jpg

Enjoying the view at Hermits Rest:

IMG_3160.jpg

Hanging with the kid at Mohave Point:

IMG_3181.jpg

Sunset:

IMG_8677.jpg

USMC Wrangler

I’ve lived in AZ a total of 12 years and still haven’t made it to the Grand Canyon. Definitely on the list.

Sweet score on the JLU!

Looks like you’re enjoying it! Welcome!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I’ve lived in AZ a total of 12 years and still haven’t made it to the Grand Canyon. Definitely on the list.

Sweet score on the JLU!

Looks like you’re enjoying it! Welcome!

Omg, you have to take the family! It’s definitely someplace I want to return to! My bother-in-law worked at the park for a number of years and also holds a masters in geology. I hope that he will guide my wife and me down to Phantom Ranch sometime in the future. He’s been there more than a few times.

The JLU drives like a dream. I can’t wait for my wife to get into one!

Thank you for the Welcome! We are having a blast!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Got up early and hiked the Bright Angle Trail to the first rest stop or a little beyond.

At the start of the Bright Angel Trail. Watch for the mule apples:

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8682.jpg

Mule train on the far side of the Canyon:

IMG_8684.jpg

IMG_8685.jpg

IMG_8687.jpg

Just past the first rest stop at 1.8 miles:

IMG_8694.jpg

IMG_8695.jpg

IMG_8696.jpg

IMG_8698.jpg

Heading back up:

IMG_8699.jpg

IMG_8703.jpg

Back at the top:

IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8709.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

Waiting for the train, the kid passed out:

IMG_8715.jpg

On the train ride back to Williams, we had a champagne toast, saw about 60 Elk at various locations and experienced a train robbery, haha. What a great day!

USMC Wrangler

So glad you’re enjoying it! [emoji1303]

If my camper EVER gets back from warranty work, (been in the shop since 12/7/2018[emoji44]), it’s next on the family trip list.

Top Bottom