What's in your Jeep tool kit?

JeepFan

Hooked
All of mine goes in either the ARB Drawer, the orange ARB recovery bag or in the glove box shock tuning kit.

View attachment 221348

Glove box tools (winch controller goes in center console)

View attachment 221349

Recovery bag gear.

View attachment 221350

ARB main drawer.

View attachment 221351

2x Mastercraft bags with small spare parts.

View attachment 221352

Some of the hand tools.

View attachment 221353

Milwaukee 18v tools.

View attachment 221354

ARB Drawer has two side compartments meant to open up from rear but it doesn't work well in practice. Instead I drop the back seats to access from the front. Mastercraft canvas bags fit vertically in the space.

View attachment 221355

In each side tunnel fits a gallon of coolant and a Mastercraft bag with 6 quarts standing vertically nicely.

View attachment 221356

And all together.

View attachment 221357

Holy mother of tool kits!!! Your setup us amazing. Where do your passengers sit? Lol

Very nice!! :thumbup:

Jimmypaget

Peel and stick LED strip lights from autozone. Plugs in the 12v adapter with an integrated switch. You can add strips for $10 or so. About 2' long.

I'm assuming you're using the 12v adapter in the rear of the jeep? I don't have that option, I'd have to run it up front somewhere.

jesse3638

Hooked
While mine is not nearly extensive the one thing I did learn on the rubicon was to pack so your tools are readily accessible in the event of a break. Mine were so buried under camping stuff that it would have taken me just as long to unpack and repack as it did to make the repair. Thanks again everyone. One spare part I will carry now is a rear drive shaft with yokes and bolts..haha

Edit: I noticed a tread depth gauge. Really? Want to make sure you are in DOT spec while on the trail?..haha

Last edited:

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Today I started a new project... Making sure I have everything I need tool wise to work on the Jeep.

My goal is to figure out what I need to add to my ever growing collection of hand tools.

Funny thing is this pic doesn't show my nut and bolt collection or the miscellaneous spare parts I carry.

View attachment 221322

So let's see what you got! Suggestions for essential tools welcome!!!

This is a impressive set up but I'm curious to what guys with 2 door JKs do. There's no way a 2 door guy can carry all this and keep the back seat for passengers. I basically carry the essentials like a recovery kit, tow straps, shovel, and some tools. That's about all that will fit. I hope some 2 door people chime in.

JeepFan

Hooked
This is a impressive set up but I'm curious to what guys with 2 door JKs do. There's no way a 2 door guy can carry all this and keep the back seat for passengers. I basically carry the essentials like a recovery kit, tow straps, shovel, and some tools. That's about all that will fit. I hope some 2 door people chime in.

That's a great question!!
I've seen a lot of 2 door people carry the basic necessities like spare tire tools, a jack. Basic hand tools to disconnect the front sway bar along with sockets and wrenches that fit most suspension and drive line bolts.

Your best bet is strength in numbers. The more people that you wheel with the better chance someone will have what you need. Trail breaks and repairs are inevitable so it's always best to be as self sufficient as possible.

WJCO

Meme King
Well, Tony, this thread motivated me to go through all my stuff. And vacuum out the Jeep! After I laid everything out, the wife comes out and said 'All that fits in the Jeep?!?!'

Anyways, to add to the thread, some additional things I keep with me: Scan tool, cotter pins, variety of hose clamps, AAA and AA batteries for lights etc, Spare heater hoses and vacuum line, spare electrical wire, bulbs, small welding kit/rods, small spare pieces of steel, drill bits, specialty brake tools and line locks, WD40, fan clutch tool, belt tensioner tool, heater core bypass kit, pickel fork, waders/auqa shoes if I had to work in the mud. I think that's it for now. As mentioned before, I keep emergency clothes/food as well. I also have a large tarp for a quick shelter if needed.

I need to kit a spill kit, a fluid kit, and I love the trail vice, I may have to get one of those too.

DSC04057.jpg

DSC04058.jpg

DSC04059.jpg

DSC04060.JPG

DSC04061.jpg

DSC04062.JPG

DSC04063.JPG

DSC04064.jpg

JeepFan

Hooked
Well, Tony, this thread motivated me to go through all my stuff. And vacuum out the Jeep! After I laid everything out, the wife comes out and said 'All that fits in the Jeep?!?!'

Anyways, to add to the thread, some additional things I keep with me: Scan tool, cotter pins, variety of hose clamps, AAA and AA batteries for lights etc, Spare heater hoses and vacuum line, spare electrical wire, bulbs, small welding kit/rods, small spare pieces of steel, drill bits, specialty brake tools and line locks, WD40, fan clutch tool, belt tensioner tool, heater core bypass kit, pickel fork, waders/auqa shoes if I had to work in the mud. I think that's it for now. As mentioned before, I keep emergency clothes/food as well. I also have a large tarp for a quick shelter if needed.

I need to kit a spill kit, a fluid kit, and I love the trail vice, I may have to get one of those too. ]

That's awesome. My wife said the same thing! And the tools are only about a quarter of what I carry.

I really like your list of additional items you carry. You're definitely prepared for just about any Jeep malfunction.

Trail JK

I'm curious on the size of your ammo cans and where I can get a similar spill kit container, did you make it or can it be purchased? I'm the market for a new spill kit. [emoji6]

Judesign

Caught the Bug
From what I've researched online the 40mm ammo cans are just taller than a quart of oil. I'm going to pick some up tomorrow at an army surplus store. I'll post some pics if they work out.

JeepFan

Hooked
Alright, let's see the liquids- what and Qty's do you carry. Let's see the extra bolts/nuts-etc too. And then the extra parts....

Loving this thread.

1473112572663.jpg

Ok, here's what I have in the ammo cans...

4qts Anti Freeze
2qts 80-90 gear oil
3qts Atf+4
1 qt engine oil
1 qt power steering fluid
1 can brake clean
1 bottle of brake fluid
1 tube of rtv rated for atf or diff fluid
Brake cleaner
WD40
Loctite
Lithium grease
Funnels
Atf pump
Razor blades.

Spare parts...
Front axles
1 unit bearing w/speed sensor harness
Bypass kit for heater core
Upper and lower radiator hoses
Drive shaft u-joints
Drive shafts yokes
Ball joints. No press tool though. Lol
A wide array of nuts and bolts for suspension, exhaust flanges and misc nuts bolts and washers.

I also carry PS high pressure hose for the PSC ram assist., Fittings and plugs in case the ram needs to be removed.

Various sizes of hose clamps, cable ties and wire are always on hand.

What else...

Gorilla and plumbers tape.

Engine drive belt.

Fuses

Valve stems

Brake light/turn signal bulbs

Extra U bolts for the drive shafts

I know I'm missing some items but that's about it

jesse3638

Hooked

I need to kit a spill kit, a fluid kit, and I love the trail vice, I may have to get one of those too.

View attachment 221387

Wow you even carry a chainsaw!? Thats awesome. Yeah after using Eddies trail vice I definitely want one.

That's awesome. My wife said the same thing! And the tools are only about a quarter of what I carry.

I really like your list of additional items you carry. You're definitely prepared for just about any Jeep malfunction.

Yeah during my break I couldn't have asked for a better group of people with a larger variety of tools. It was awesome! BTW whats with the tread depth gauge?..haha

I'm curious on the size of your ammo cans and where I can get a similar spill kit container, did you make it or can it be purchased? I'm the market for a new spill kit. [emoji6]

I found my spill kit by following the advice of overlander and went to O'reily's I think it was just under $30 anad comes with everything.

JeepFan

Hooked

These ammo cans measure out at...

19" long
5 1/2" wide
10" high

Quart bottles fit perfectly.

The spill kit was given to me by a friend. It was basically put together by a guy who was trying get a business going selling them but, it never panned out.

Everything in it can be purchased online or at an auto parts store.

Absorbent mats
Gloves
Bags
Saw dust
Anything that soaks up hazardous waste.

Last edited:
Top Bottom