Highway Overheating

fiend

Caught the Bug
Wow, can't get more recessed than that. Good looking bumper and looks like it would solve the airflow problem. Genright makes some nice stuff.

Thanks! Here’s another angle. You can see the winch sticks above the bumper a bit, but it doesn’t impede the radiator slots. [emoji1303]

EC88FD53-F9DC-4222-86C4-E0398EC4D543.jpg

Only thing I’m not thrilled about is the roller fairlead sticking out so much, but that’s not the fault of the bumper. I recently hit it and bent it, so the rollers are bound up. So I have to replace the fairlead, which is making me consider switching to synthetic rope and a hawse design. One more thing to spend money on, I guess. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As others have pointed out, your winch is probably your biggest problem. As much as we loved our PowerPlant, we ultimately replaced it with a 9.5XD just to help increase air flow.

20190825163856-20e98907-me.jpg

Made a measurable difference. Well, that and the fact that we have it mounted on an EVO Quarter Pounder :yup:

blazer

Caught the Bug
My temp gauge has never gone past half way. I have purposely tried to see if it would move past the half way mark
to be sure it is working by going up Cajon Pass in hot weather with air on, but it never goes past half way. So... could
the gauge be broken?? Or is it a somewhat like an Idiot gauge where it would move in in increments instead of an
even movement?

fiend

Caught the Bug
My temp gauge has never gone past half way. I have purposely tried to see if it would move past the half way mark
to be sure it is working by going up Cajon Pass in hot weather with air on, but it never goes past half way. So... could
the gauge be broken?? Or is it a somewhat like an Idiot gauge where it would move in in increments instead of an
even movement?

I’m pretty sure the JK temp gauges aren’t really gauges, at least linear ones. From what I’ve seen, they are pegged at half way as long as the engine is operating within a predetermined “normal” range. If the temp goes out of the range, the “gauge” jumps to about 3/4 but the engine keeps going fine. That’s the point where most of us will turn off the AC and maybe put the heat on. Usually that works and the “gauge” goes back to 1/2. Sometimes it doesn’t and if the engine keeps getting hotter the gauge jumps all the way to the right and the computer puts you into limp mode, forcing you to pull over, shut down, and cool off.

Compare this to an old school temp gauge that is always moving, accurately reporting the temperature.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
even movement?

It won't start to move past half until you get up over 230. Even at that, it'll just be barely over. At 235, the needles will sit at about 2/3 the way up and keep moving more visibly the hotter your engine gets. If you've never seen this, you're in good shape.

Jkjon

Have any of you found that installing grill inserts (e.g. wire mesh or similar) to protect the radiator from bugs / rocks increases temps or is it negligible?

Sent from my GM1917 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
What Eddie said. I’ve seen the needle move, slightly. I run an Aeroforce gauge and when it reads over 230, the needle will begin moving off the center mark. The highest I’ve seen is 238 on a long grade on the highway, but the needle barely got to the 2/3s mark with no issues from the Jeep.

But here’s a question that has started popping up on mine. My transmission, that I have a read out for on my aeroforce gauge, has just recently running hotter. It used to never run higher than 180, but recently on the highway, it’s running at 195. It’s progressively climbed up there last couple of months to that number and it pretty consistent even when the air temp has been in the 60s. Changed The fluid about 20k ago, the fluid level is good and I’ve made sure there’s no mud caked around it. Any idea why it’s increasing getting hotter? Should I try to change the fluid again?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
It won't start to move past half until you get up over 230. Even at that, it'll just be barely over. At 235, the needles will sit at about 2/3 the way up and keep moving more visibly the hotter your engine gets. If you've never seen this, you're in good shape.

What Eddie said. I’ve seen the needle move, slightly. I run an Aeroforce gauge and when it reads over 230, the needle will begin moving off the center mark. The highest I’ve seen is 238 on a long grade on the highway, but the needle barely got to the 2/3s mark with no issues from the Jeep.

I found this on the internet (so it must be true). [emoji6] It seems consistent with the comments in this thread.

IMG_2832.jpg

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I had the same issue on my 2010 JKU, since I moved to Tucson and the temps have been steady at 110+ degrees. Around town it would stay at half way mark, highway speeds, anything 65 or above it would jump up to 3/4 mark and stay and then my A/C felt like a dog breathing on you. I removed my winch _Warn Zeon and drove down I-10 when it was 114 and it stayed at the halfway mark. I instantly called EVO and ordered the Quater pounder. It shows up tomorrow. I tried to order the stinger bar to but itis back ordered. Here is my current bumper and winch set up.

Attachments

• 63BD06C4-1E0F-4B0D-A853-0CCE53E07E41.jpg
    63BD06C4-1E0F-4B0D-A853-0CCE53E07E41.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 159

fiend

Caught the Bug
I had the same issue on my 2010 JKU, since I moved to Tucson and the temps have been steady at 110+ degrees. Around town it would stay at half way mark, highway speeds, anything 65 or above it would jump up to 3/4 mark and stay and then my A/C felt like a dog breathing on you. I removed my winch _Warn Zeon and drove down I-10 when it was 114 and it stayed at the halfway mark. I instantly called EVO and ordered the Quater pounder. It shows up tomorrow. I tried to order the stinger bar to but itis back ordered. Here is my current bumper and winch set up.

Holy shit, between the winch, the lights, and that big ass stinger, you have no flow at all! 🤣

wjtstudios

Hooked

Yup, there’s your problem....

Congrats on getting airflow!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
it was not a big deal in Montana and Europe. It did not get much passed 80 degrees. I was in England, Germany and Iceland. Tucson is a whole different ball game.

Attachments

• D01DB301-B4E0-46E4-A993-624889E66389.jpeg
    D01DB301-B4E0-46E4-A993-624889E66389.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 1498193421954.jpg
    1498193421954.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 17568_1184750306524_7422726_n.jpg
    17568_1184750306524_7422726_n.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 29444_1285657709146_6869242_n.jpg
    29444_1285657709146_6869242_n.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 139
Mesh will INCREASE temps.

Sounds like stock grille insert delete is the way to go? Live in Colorado, have the 3.6 Pentastar, stock 4.10s and 35x13.50s which seems a little strained through mountain passes. I’ve seen the gauge flirt with a just under 3/4 once before on a super hot day at 12000 feet. I’m heading to Utah for the weekend. It’ll likely be 97-100 degrees out...Im thinking about pulling the stock inserts and leaving the slots open...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Mesh will INCREASE temps.

Sounds like stock grille insert delete is the way to go? Live in Colorado, have the 3.6 Pentastar, stock 4.10s and 35x13.50s which seems a little strained through mountain passes. I’ve seen the gauge flirt with a just under 3/4 once before on a super hot day at 12000 feet. I’m heading to Utah for the weekend. It’ll likely be 97-100 degrees out...Im thinking about pulling the stock inserts and leaving the slots open...

I would definitely pull the inserts if it has them.

Top Bottom