Rock Hard 4x4 JK Sport Cage Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any recommendations where I can get one painted in SoCal (Orange County)???

If you just want it painted, you can do it yourself with rattle cans. If you take your time, it'll come out real nice. Otherwise, any body shop will do it too and will color match it for you if you want. For the money, I just paid Off Road Evolution to have mine sent out and get powder coated.

Charlie Mike

If you just want it painted, you can do it yourself with rattle cans. If you take your time, it'll come out real nice. Otherwise, any body shop will do it too and will color match it for you if you want. For the money, I just paid Off Road Evolution to have mine sent out and get powder coated.

Don't know if I trust myself. haha. And I think I like the idea of having it powder coated as well. Thanks for the help! :beer:

mitchdish

What is the reason for having the front center bars connecting the front top bar to the B-Pillar roll bar off-centered in the Rubicat? Are there any benefits from this?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
What makes you think they are off center?

Looks centered to me....:crazyeyes:

Do you still have the Tuffy overhead security CB console from the Rubicat? :D I might know someone who'd help take it off your hands for the right price. :thumb:

Dave_g

in order to put them back on, you would have to do some trimming of the upper piece. it's not that big of a deal to me to leave well enough alone and it's how i have it on moby. i may or may not put them back on rubicat.

I called Rockhard and asked them about the Bluetooth mic in the drivers side A-frame upper, and they said that would be fine as well.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I called Rockhard and asked them about the Bluetooth mic in the drivers side A-frame upper, and they said that would be fine as well.

What do you (they) mean by fine? I haven't put my A-frame upper trim back in yet, but I remember thinking that I'd have to relocate the mic hole. Right now it's just zip-tied to the Rockard cage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What do you (they) mean by fine? I haven't put my A-frame upper trim back in yet, but I remember thinking that I'd have to relocate the mic hole. Right now it's just zip-tied to the Rockard cage.

That's all I've done. :idontknow:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Steel Rain said:
What would you recommend using for the clearancing you mentioned where the hard top meets the clamp?

I used a dremel with a sanding drum on mine. Had to take a lot more off than I thought I would.

Steel Rain

A die grinder with a sanding disc will clearance it in seconds. You just need to be delicate and skim a little at a time.

I used a dremel with a sanding drum on mine. Had to take a lot more off than I thought I would.

Thanks Eddie and MTG, since mine was installed I get air leaks on both the driver and passenger sides. I will give a it shot as both sides of the freedom tops are noticeably higher to the outside.:thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Steel Rain said:
Thanks Eddie and MTG, since mine was installed I get air leaks on both the driver and passenger sides. I will give a it shot as both sides of the freedom tops are noticeably higher to the outside.:thumb:

I had quite a bit at first too. Also check and make sure your windshield didn't shift with the install.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Steel Rain said:
How would the windshield move and what would be that fix?

I didn't think it would move, as my soft top was fine. However, since my hard top leaks, I think there is a little shifting when you take out the 2 bolts on each side (4 total). At first I just pushed on the outside of the windshield while someone else tightened the bolts, but then I used a ratchet strap on the footman's loop (after loosening the outside bolts too) and that seemed to work better. Be careful. Good luck!

Dave_g

A die grinder with a sanding disc will clearance it in seconds. You just need to be delicate and skim a little at a time.
I just had this kit show up at my house, What part are you talking about sanding down here for the freedom top? trying to get as many kinks out before I send them off to get powder coated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just had this kit show up at my house, What part are you talking about sanding down here for the freedom top? trying to get as many kinks out before I send them off to get powder coated.

Along the sides closest to the doors. You will see that the clamps there can make contact with the Freedom Top panels. If they do, this is what'll need some clearancing.

Dave_g

Along the sides closest to the doors. You will see that the clamps there can make contact with the Freedom Top panels. If they do, this is what'll need some clearancing.

I heard that the parts by the door might need trimming, How much did you trim off? The steel is only so thick is that a danger structurally or for safety? I will be doing a dry install starting next week when I get some time but Its going to be a bit before I can get it color matched commando in powder or paint. I had Rockhard not weld on that plate in the overhead so I will be turning that into a switch panel. So excited next comes the CB with your set up here.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Dave_g said:
I heard that the parts by the door might need trimming, How much did you trim off? The steel is only so thick is that a danger structurally or for safety? I will be doing a dry install starting next week when I get some time but Its going to be a bit before I can get it color matched commando in powder or paint. I had Rockhard not weld on that plate in the overhead so I will be turning that into a switch panel. So excited next comes the CB with your set up here.

Trim the freedom panels not the cage.

Top Bottom