Another Another Lift Question. Yes Another

Cbach1987

Other than rear shafts that I thought I needed, I ran with over 20k on my old 2 door on 37s with no issues at all other than breaks that were my own fault (ie getting wedged between 2 trees and breaking a driveshaft).

So what did you have upgraded on it. At first I am only doing the lift and probably gussetts in the front.

WJCO

Meme King
I should start reading up on that because I am not too familiar with what it all means.

Easy version: backspacing brings your wheel/tire out further away from the vehicle so it doesn't rub.

So all these people out there running them on basic equipment, are they just ticking time bombs or they do not care. I seem to read a lot of people running them with less components than I am talking about and say they have done it for thousands of miles and even wheeled that way without problems.

Why not just run the 37s and see what happens. Upgrade as you go. You'll always hear of people that run thousands of miles with no problems and hear of people that backed out of their driveway and blew up everything. Lots of stories out there on both sides.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
So what did you have upgraded on it. At first I am only doing the lift and probably gussetts in the front.

Well it applies more to my current 4 door, but all I technically have is gussets, front drive shaft, and new gears on factory 44s.

Cbach1987

Easy version: backspacing brings your wheel/tire out further away from the vehicle so it doesn't rub.

Why not just run the 37s and see what happens. Upgrade as you go. You'll always hear of people that run thousands of miles with no problems and hear of people that backed out of their driveway and blew up everything. Lots of stories out there on both sides.

That last part made me laugh hard at work! Yes everyone and every vehicle is different. I figure I will take my chances and pray to the Jeep gods

Cbach1987

Well it applies more to my current 4 door, but all I technically have is gussets, front drive shaft, and new gears on factory 44s.

the driveshaft and regear would be something that has to wait a little bit so hopefully I would be ok. I have 3.73 so I think I will regear sooner than later. But it is pretty flat here in good ol Wisco Land

WJCO

Meme King
the driveshaft and regear would be something that has to wait a little bit so hopefully I would be ok. I have 3.73 so I think I will regear sooner than later. But it is pretty flat here in good ol Wisco Land

I would do the drive shaft before the re-gear. The factory shafts don't last too long after a lift.

Journeyman

So all these people out there running them on basic equipment, are they just ticking time bombs or they do not care. I seem to read a lot of people running them with less components than I am talking about and say they have done it for thousands of miles and even wheeled that way without problems.

Yup! I'm on 35's for about 12,000 miles and I'm chasing issues. But I do take mine offroad. Don't take offense I'm just warning you that your vehicles going to change. It's not a 1 ton pick up where everything's built heavy duty, more or less.

Cbach1987

Yup! I'm on 35's for about 12,000 miles and I'm chasing issues. But I do take mine offroad. Don't take offense I'm just warning you that your vehicles going to change. It's not a 1 ton pick up where everything's built heavy duty, more or less.

No offense taken! I do not mind anyone's 2 cents especially seeing as you are lifted and at this point I am not. Just trying to understand everything and make as an informed decision as I can! haha

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would do the drive shaft before the re-gear. The factory shafts don't last too long after a lift.

Depends on the lift height and how much he flexes, the stock drive shaft is stronger than most aftermarket 1310s btw.

^^^^ This. Also, I would definitely have someone there to help you and a spring compressor as well. I wouldn't want to install the lift by myself.

Don't waste you time or money on spring compressor's. Not needed. Just make sure you have slack in your brake lines and electrical connections.

Top Bottom